Some questions regarding trophies, miss-ables etc.

Lagoon Aris

So, I had this game on my wishlist for quite a while and I now decided to buy it. I took a look at the trophies and I tried searching for a trophy guide or some helpful stuff but I'm not sure I know what to expect and what to look out for when I will start the game. So I would like to get some clarifications beforehand to minimize my number of necessary playthroughs.

1. Apart from ending trophies, is there anything else, that I could miss out?

And what exactly are the points deciding the different endings? (as spoiler-free as possible, please)

Which ending would be preferable for eventual post-game grinding? (the name of the ending/corresponding trophy would be enough)

2. What exactly are those Speed Run trophies? Is this regarding speed running the whole game or only certain things? And what would be the requirements for the different level rewards?

3. Are there difficulty-related trophies or could I play through the game on easy to enjoy the story? I saw trophies regarding dungeon difficulties but is this overall-related or do the dungeons have in-game difficulty levels?

4. What is recommend to keep an eye out for at the start of the game? For example, certain tips on skills to get first or other helpful tips that could make the game a nice and easy (as possible) experience?

I would be happy for any answer as I'm really interested in the game but I still don't know what to expect from it or where to put it trophy-wise :D

With my experience with the game (Although I gotta get back to it) there is a certain point where you have to make multiple saves although the trophy guide will fully cover you there. Nothing seems really missable other than the endings.

Speed run trophies are just tied to specific battles you can enter and retry as many times as you like

Same thing applies to the difficulty ones. Just on specific battles that can be redone

There's this reaper build I read about but don't have much info about that at this moment. The trophies don't seem all that hard but it will take time. Sorry I couldn't answer everything and be more conclusive but you have the information I have. It's a great game though

There are two points that decide the ending.  One is in chapter 10 with a quest called "Kanata's Decision".  The game will even outright tell you this is very important and prompt to save.  First or second choices lock you out of one ending, and the last choice locks you out of another. 

The other is turning in the second black essence crystal you get.  This will lock you into one particular ending.  This particular ending is needed to get access to all the speedruns, it also doesn't have a lengthy final dungeon so it's a good one to go for first, but the final boss for that is pretty hard.  If you are going to turn in the second black essence crystal, you have to do it before finishing the dungeon called Amethyst Reactor.  Pretty much that dungeon is where you hit a point of no return and go into the ending path.  There are one other thing related to ending trophies that can only be done with the first or second choices, and that is returning party members to earth and that also has to be done before finishing that dungeon.

The only thing that bears mentioning is that the ending you get with the third choice and not turning in the second black essence crystal will permanently lower affection and I've heard it cannot be raised again permanently, so don't do this one first because you can't max affection for all the male characters until post game, this ending is obviously better for NG+ or reloading from a previous save.  Third choice and turning in the second black essence crystal is fine, and not a bad route to go because you'll have some beefed up stats for it.

The speedrun trophies refer to beating bosses within a certain time limit.  If you've ever played an Ys game, it's much like the time attack mode those have and if you meet certain time requirements you get rewards.  There are level 1, 2 and 3 rewards, and 3 requires the lowest time.  Pretty much, you won't need to bother with these until post game, especially since many won't even be unlocked until post game.  You'll see this in game not long after starting it since you can select to try speedruns anytime you aren't in a dungeon.

As far as difficulties, that's only for dungeons.  When you finish a dungeon in the story, you unlock a free quest for it where you can go back and explore as you wish.  There are three levels for each dungeon.  You only have to beat the third level of each dungeon for the trophies, so you can ignore the second ones in most cases unless you want to farm for better gear.

As far as stuff to look out for early game.  Make sure to get Mayura's class to level 2 ASAP and get Training maxed out on Mitsuhide as soon as possible so that once you get access to learning he can teach it to everyone.  Equip that skill at all times, it will maximize your experience gains.  Something that doesn't hurt to keep in mind is that there are items you can only get via item pods and enemy drops, so you want to use those sparingly.   You can't buy life drops until post game.  The only healing items that will be able to be bought are the berries.   This doesn't mean avoid using those, use them if you really need them, but keep in mind that some are hard to get again.

Another tip I'd share is save often and also keep in mind that you don't need to fight everything in dungeons.  The dungeons can get long and there are no save points and the game does have crashing issues.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 5/5/2018 at 2:51 PM, ladynadiad said:

There are two points that decide the ending.  One is in chapter 10 with a quest called "Kanata's Decision".  The game will even outright tell you this is very important and prompt to save.  First or second choices lock you out of one ending, and the last choice locks you out of another. 

SNIP

Another tip I'd share is save often and also keep in mind that you don't need to fight everything in dungeons.  The dungeons can get long and there are no save points and the game does have crashing issues.

Hello.  Do you have any tips for exploiting enemy weaknesses to get the item drops?  It's been a while since you played the game, but I was hoping you might be able to recall details.

5 hours ago, LordBilbanes said:

Hello.  Do you have any tips for exploiting enemy weaknesses to get the item drops?  It's been a while since you played the game, but I was hoping you might be able to recall details.

Yeah, it has been a long time, but to be honest I didn't even really exploit weaknesses much. I mostly racked up massive combos since a very large combo gave higher chances for rare drops.  I didn't really have to mess around much with item farming since I got most of what I needed while farming for abilities and affection.  From what I remember when you do a combo you also increase drop rates and I think there were abilities that further helped with that so mostly just trying to get as large of a combo as possible while in greed mode and using your demon's greed attacks should suffice.  I saw mostly your trophies are beat Yamatoga and do the speedruns.  I don't recall Yamatoga being extremely hard as long as you follow the general strategy of ensuring all parts are defeated before attacking the main body.  Farming in the post game dungeon should net you enough gear and consumables to do that without too much trouble and I waited until I was about ready to do the speedruns from what I recall.  The speedruns are overall the hardest and your other trophies are mostly just grinding a lot with a bit of RNG involved regarding the abilities learned.  Just work on farming for abilities and getting affection maxed out for now and you'll get plenty of drops along the way.

One useful tip I can give is that if you're playing the Vita version and look for strategies for the speedruns on Youtube, you'll have to adjust the overall strategy a bit to evade the game crashing since most videos are PS4 version that lacks the issue.  In the Vita version the crashing issues I found to be related to ending a turn with Ema's attack being used either 3 or 4 times.  I don't recall the exact amount but I do recall that on the hardest speedrun I had to toss in Suzaku and have her use a low AP whip attack at the end to pull off the time without freezing.