Game data on many games has incorrect and/or joke information

Take a look at Journey. Very surprised this has not been reported here by anyone for all this time. Am I really the one that has to report all of this? Well, alright then.

incorrectinfowwl9a.png

Can you guys tell me how this (and many others I noticed) has this joke information written in? Is this user-submitted data or joke info the staff put (which is not accurate, professional or funny)?

Or is this automated data pulled from a source, data that belongs to some other game?

Correction:

Developer- thatgamecompany

Publisher- Sony Computer Entertainment [each region this was released in has different Sony Computer Entertainments, so not sure what you want to do about games that have different publishers in different regions]

Release Date- 13 March 2012 (we'll go with the release date of the home region this game was developed in and/or first released in, in this case home region is US- this standard should be kept for all game info boxes)

Genre- Adventure (it can be arguable as Platformer.......due to the subjective nature of Genre, maybe remove that along with Themes)

I also propose you should remove the "Themes" field completely. That is often very wrong for many games (especially here with Journey. Cyberpunk?) and is entirely subjective. And not professional. Only the vitals should be there, or nothing.

If you really need the data, just look at www.GameFAQs.com for info.

-----------

After all of this is sorted, you can make the fields click-able. For instance, clicking on Developer will take you to a listing of all games developed by that developer that has trophies. If clicked Publisher, it'll take you to all games released by that publisher. If you click Adventure, it will take you to a list of all games in that genre. Release date I don't know if should be click-able, but if you're up to the challenge, clicking can take you to all games released that day...or all games released that week and/or month listed chronologically, rather.

Edited by HipHecooblik

If I'm not mistaken so is the data pulled from giantbomb.com with the title as search query. And PSNProfiles displays the data from the first hit.

So I guess PSNProfiles searched for "Journey", and got "The Longest Journey" (http://www.giantbomb.com/the-longest-journey/3030-8759/) as the first hit, and displayed that info.

EDIT: Dunno how accurate you can do this automatically. But I guess Sly could set a filter to only include games from ps3, vita, psn (ps3) or psn (vita) when a query to giantbomb is made.

Edited by Ragowit

If I'm not mistaken so is the data pulled from giantbomb.com with the title as search query. And PSNProfiles displays the data from the first hit.

So I guess PSNProfiles searched for "Journey", and got "The Longest Journey" (http://www.giantbomb.com/the-longest-journey/3030-8759/) as the first hit, and displayed that info.

EDIT: Dunno how accurate you can do this automatically. But I guess Sly could set a filter to only include games from ps3, vita, psn (ps3) or psn (vita) when a query to giantbomb is made.

Their API doesn't let you filter by platform on searches and because they don't tag PSN games with the PS3 platform while listing just PSN games it will also return PS1/PS2 games released on PSN. I'll see if they'll add the platform filter to searches before I rewrite everything to filter out other platforms.

Their API doesn't let you filter by platform on searches and because they don't tag PSN games with the PS3 platform while listing just PSN games it will also return PS1/PS2 games released on PSN. I'll see if they'll add the platform filter to searches before I rewrite everything to filter out other platforms.

If you use /games instead of /search, you can. However, their filter on platform seems to be treated as AND, not OR...

This gives 3 results (filter on PSN (PS3)): http://www.giantbomb.com/api/games/?api_key=(key)&filter=platforms:88,name:Journey

This gives 0 results (filter on PS4, Vita, PSN (Vita), PS3, PSN (PS3)): http://www.giantbomb.com/api/games/?api_key=(key)&filter=platforms:146,platforms:129,platforms:143,platforms:35,platforms:88,name:Journey

Still a problem though in this case, since you get 3 results.

If you use /games instead of /search, you can. However, their filter on platform seems to be treated as AND, not OR...

This gives 3 results (filter on PSN (PS3)): http://www.giantbomb.com/api/games/?api_key=(key)&filter=platforms:88,name:Journey

This gives 0 results (filter on PS4, Vita, PSN (Vita), PS3, PSN (PS3)): http://www.giantbomb.com/api/games/?api_key=(key)&filter=platforms:146,platforms:129,platforms:143,platforms:35,platforms:88,name:Journey

Still a problem though in this case, since you get 3 results.

Multiple platforms are filtered like 'platforms:146|129|143|35|88'

What would the feasibility be of letting users submit the themes and genres of a game? Make it so that only people with the game in their trophy list could submit anything, and then give them the ability to submit five one or two-word tags. The most commonly used ones could be the ones that appear on the page? And I'm sure a filter could prevent certain abuses of the system like profanity.

Actually, if that's something that's possible, maybe we could add a rating system as well? People that own the game could rate it out of five stars in areas like graphics, gameplay, audio, trophies, and so on, and then they'd have the ability to add a small snippet to each area. You could cap it at 140 characters, like a tweet. The aggregate scores and most commonly-used phrases could appear on the game's page (similar to how Amazon runs their reviews now)? It wouldn't be full-length reviews by any means, but it would be a great way to get concentrated opinions from fellow gamers.

Edited by Curb
  • Like 3