Would you recommend the Banner Saga games to someone who doesn't like the gameplay genre?

If someone either doesn't normally care for tactical RPGs or even has played some other games in the genre before...  

22 members have voted

1. 1. ... would you still recommend the games?

• Yes, definitely. The story, graphics and music are stellar and the game is one of the best in the gameplay genre. If you don't like tactical RPGs after this, you'll never like them.
    • Yes, probably. If they actually hate the gameplay genre they shouldn't bother but otherwise it's a must-play game.
    • Yes, but not because of the two options mentioned above (I'll explain in the thread).
    • Maybe. The games are a bit overrated but still good and the rich story combined with the hand-drawn animations really sets it apart from other games.
    • Maybe, but not because of the option mentioned above (I'll explain in the thread).
    • No, if they don't like the gameplay genre there's nothing here that'll make them change their mind.
    • No, the game is great but it depends too much on the gamer liking the gameplay genre.
    • No, I actually wouldn't recommend the game to anyone because I thought it was disappointing.
    • No, but not because of the three options mentioned above (I'll explain in the thread).
    • I haven't played the game myself and I want to make up my mind about the game too.

I figured, with the third game coming out next month, between now and then is probably the best time to get into the games so I can cannonball them. Maybe come the third game in the hopes that 1 and 2 will go on sale.

I've been interested in the games since I found out about them but I don't care for tactical RPGs and that's really the only reason I haven't bought the first two games yet.

• Like 1

If you're no fan of this genre, better wait for a sale.

Both story and artstyle are satisfying. If you don't mind reading, this game is a blast.

Gameplay-wise I found it rather unforgiving and every battle felt more like a puzzle than a fight.

Couldn't get myself playing trough it on PS4 so far. It ain't a cakewalk.

Btw don't get the book, it's soooooo mediocre.

I think it depends on how much you dislike the genre.  If you really don't want to play any tactical RPGs, well this is one, so...  I think it also depends on whether you intend to platinum it.  You'll have to play it on Hard for the platinum, but if you don't care about that there's an Easy option that's much easier.

Overall, I really enjoyed both games and I'm looking forward to the third one.  But, it wasn't the combat system that really carried the game for me (I'd say it's overall a good system, but nothing amazing).  As long as you don't actively hate the combat, I think you'll still enjoy these games.  So, I'm a maybe (but I don't think the game is overrated!).

I'll also say this since I rarely see anyone else talk about it with these games.  It seems everyone will call it a tactical RPG, and indeed it is, but I'm pretty sure their number one influence is The Oregon Trail.  So, imagine a game like that with interesting characters and story where you can make some choices that matter and actually influence future events.  And it also means something.  Something big!  I'm still not sure what exactly, but that's part of why I'm looking forward to the third one!  Also, it's tied together with some tactical RPG combat.

If you think that sounds interesting, then I think you'll like it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Death_Ninja said:

If you don't like strategy RPGs then you're not going to like Banner Saga at all, I'm afraid.

1 hour ago, Sardavanua said:

If you're no fan of this genre, better wait for a sale.

Both story and artstyle are satisfying. If you don't mind reading, this game is a blast.

Gameplay-wise I found it rather unforgiving and every battle felt more like a puzzle than a fight.

Couldn't get myself playing trough it on PS4 so far. It ain't a cakewalk.

Btw don't get the book, it's soooooo mediocre.

14 minutes ago, dmland12 said:

I think it depends on how much you dislike the genre.  If you really don't want to play any tactical RPGs, well this is one, so...  I think it also depends on whether you intend to platinum it.  You'll have to play it on Hard for the platinum, but if you don't care about that there's an Easy option that's much easier.

Personally, I don't actively dislike the genre but then again I haven't got enough experience with it to actively dislike it. It just doesn't appeal to me the way platformers, racers or open world games do (though I find myself getting tired of the latter these days).

From what I can see from Banner Saga gameplay, the gameplay from South Park: The Fractured But Whole seems like a simplified version. I liked that game (played it because I think distilled South Park is hilarious) and wasn't too bored with the gameplay.

I often play games for other reasons than gameplay, to mixed results. For instance, I unexpectedly loved Mario + Rabbids and it's the reason I'll try XCOM 2 now on PS+ instead of ignoring it.

Trophies aren't an issue for me. There's a fair chance that if I buy Banner Saga, it will be on the Switch, but if I buy them on PS4 then I'll do a blind playthrough without looking at trophies, and only afterwards if I think it's worth it I'll try to go for 100% completion.

I didn't even know there was a book, by the way.

14 minutes ago, dmland12 said:

Overall, I really enjoyed both games and I'm looking forward to the third one.  But, it wasn't the combat system that really carried the game for me (I'd say it's overall a good system, but nothing amazing).  As long as you don't actively hate the combat, I think you'll still enjoy these games.  So, I'm a maybe (but I don't think the game is overrated!).

I'll also say this since I rarely see anyone else talk about it with these games.  It seems everyone will call it a tactical RPG, and indeed it is, but I'm pretty sure their number one influence is The Oregon Trail.  So, imagine a game like that with interesting characters and story where you can make some choices that matter and actually influence future events.  And it also means something.  Something big!  I'm still not sure what exactly, but that's part of why I'm looking forward to the third one!  Also, it's tied together with some tactical RPG combat.

If you think that sounds interesting, then I think you'll like it.

Even though I'm a part of what's sometimes called the Oregon Trail generation, I haven't played that game myself. I kind of get what you mean, though 

I hope the ending will be satisfying to you. Like Terminator 2 satisfying, not like how Mass Effect 3 turned out. The devs seceded to make games according to their own opinions and ideas, with apparently Banner Saga 2 being an improvement over 1 thanks to listening to feedback, so I'd say odds are high that if you enjoyed the first two, you'll enjoy the third one.

Thanks for the opinions, all. Appreciate it! I'll have enough to play until the third game gets released (and then some) so I'll make up my mind then, if there's a trilogy deal or something, and I'll of course keep checking this thread for new input in the meantime.

It seems like you want to play it, even though you know the genre is not necessarily your bag - which makes me lean towards go for it!

That’s sometimes the feeling you get before playing a game you don’t like, but it’s also the same feeling you get before trying a game and ending up loving it.

How many times have we seen folks give props to games by saying stuff like “I didn’t expect much, but I loved it...” or even better “The genre never appealed to me, but then I played X and now I want to play all these other games I previously ignored...”

Edited by DrBloodmoney

On 05/06/2018 at 1:50 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

It seems like you want to play it, even though you know the genre is not necessarily your bag

Yup, that's correct. I figured I'd do the poll neutral though, in case someone else feels like asking the same question but isn't in it the same way as I am.

On 05/06/2018 at 1:50 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

- which makes me lean towards go for it!

That’s sometimes the feeling you get before playing a game you don’t like, but it’s also the same feeling you get before trying a game and ending up loving it.

How many times have we seen folks give props to games by saying stuff like “I didn’t expect much, but I loved it...” or even better “The genre never appealed to me, but then I played X and now I want to play all these other games I previously ignored...”

I have some good experience in this. For instance, I was exclusively into platformers and racers until Ocarina Of Time was forced upon me (as in, I could get a used N64, and this was one of the games that it came with).

Still not playing the Battlefront games though, not even for Star Wars, because I'm just that allergic to online multiplayer.

But yeah, for Banner Saga, I'm leaning towards 'just buy it, but maybe wait for the third to see if there's a trilogy sale of some kind', especially after the opinions posted in this thread, which, combined with my own views and experiences, make me think I can at least tolerate the gameplay for this game's plot, graphics and soundtrack.

• Like 1

I voted "No, if they don't like the gameplay genre there's nothing here that'll make them change their mind."

This is only for the first one, since I have not yet done the second:

I would argue against this game being anything like Oregon Trail. The traveling segments do not have the element of randomness Oregon Trail does and is more like a choose your own adventure novel, where x choice consistently creates y result. Also of note, the only things that seem to have any kind of gameplay functionality are events that directly affect the strategy RPG portions. Gaining followers or food, though seeming like it's important, doesn't really matter while losing a combat character to a bad decision can potentially end your playthrough.

This game is a strategy RPG and if you don't like those, you will not enjoy this game. Also, as mentioned, it's pretty unforgiving, though nowhere near the difficulty of X-Com or Mordheim. The art is good and stylized, but the plot was very weak to me, and I feel like the payoff of getting through the combat (which takes a long time, and is difficult) to reach the next story segment (which is like 12 lines of dialog) is just not there for a non-genre fan.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/06/2018 at 8:05 PM, Cthulhu said:

But yeah, for Banner Saga, I'm leaning towards 'just buy it, but maybe wait for the third to see if there's a trilogy sale of some kind', especially after the opinions posted in this thread, which, combined with my own views and experiences, make me think I can at least tolerate the gameplay for this game's plot, graphics and soundtrack.

For what it's worth, Banner Saga 3 is now up for pre-order on the Switch, and there's a kind of trilogy deal.

Banner Saga 1 is €20.

Banner Saga 2 is €20 but if you own 1 then you can get it for €15.

Banner Saga 3 is €25 but if you own 1 and 2 then you can get it for €15.

Making up for a total of €50 for all three games, without the necessity to buy them all at the same time. I'm very much thinking about just getting the first game (maybe wait and see if they put it on sale when number three releases) and diving in thanks to this, and buying 2-3 if I still want to after playing the first game. Who knows, I might get a new gameplay genre I enjoy out of it. I played through Transistor yesterday/today, and my gripes with the game were with the story, but the gameplay was more appealing than I thought it would be.

I'm extra interested right now because I've started reading the Witcher books, so I'm in the mood for more gloomy fantasy.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm at the start of chapter five now.

Really liking the game, even if I can see a few flaws. The game doesn't get me warm for other tactical RPGs unless I am interestwd in another aspect of the game like story or music, but it does make me want to buy Banner Saga 2 to see if they improve upon the basic gameplay and because I want to know where they're going with the story. I like how the game is much more than just combat after combat, with planning and choices in between, and quite an intriguing setting and story.

Special thanks to @dmland12 and @DrBloodmoney for sparring with me here and elsewhere on the site, getting me over the threshold to decide to give the first game a shot.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ezio Auditore said:

I'm at the start of chapter five now.

Really liking the game, even if I can see a few flaws. The game doesn't get me warm for other tactical RPGs unless I am interestwd in another aspect of the game like story or music, but it does make me want to buy Banner Saga 2 to see if they improve upon the basic gameplay and because I want to know where they're going with the story. I like how the game is much more than just combat after combat, with planning and choices in between, and quite an intriguing setting and story.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it.

• Like 1