Game Type Searching

tinman_1954

Fairly new to gaming and the internet and am struggling with a seriously aggravating learning curve here. A good friend recently introduced a type of game I never played before. They're referred to as HOPs or HOGs or HOPAGs or what ever you want to call it. Anyway, because of completist and franchise playing tendencies, I choose the Artifex Mundi franchise or developer as a starting point. Unfortunately that well has gone dry. Would like to try a few more HOPs, preferably by other developers or franchises, before moving on to a different type of game. Are there game listings that go by game type or franchise or developer instead of the vague generalized game listings filled with unrelated subject matter that I keep running into? I want to find more HOPs without spending months or years sifting through tons of game listings inundated with aps, music, movies, clothing, etc. etc. etc... Does the creature I'm looking for exist? If not will someone please point me in the right direction?!                                                                          The problem here, as I see it, is two fold. 1. HOPAGs were originally designed as aps or games for iphones and PCs. They are a fairly new genres to consoles and as more and more console gamers are discovering them it is causing a growing demand for more of them to be ported over. 2. Developers like Artifex Mundi clearly and accurately describe these as Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure Games or HOPAG's. Unfortunately, websites like this one are not listing them under a HOPAG genres. I believe they are keying in on the words Adventure Games and placing them in this vaguely descriptive category. It then becomes like trying to find a needle in a haystack for people like me.

Edited by tinman_1954
Clarifacation

Well, on this site, a lot of games have genres listed, and you can click on them to find all games in the same genre (EDIT: I meant to add, you can do this straight from the game's page on your profile, it's in the box on the right).

So for the Artifex Mundi style games then it'd be Point and Click (you can click that to go straight to the list).

But some of the genres of games are slightly mislabelled, so don't take that as a "I'll like everything in this list" and more of a starting point on games to look at. Most are labelled well, but some I don't really get why they're in there.

Edited by Kristycism
  • Like 1

If you are really into HOPs, you can visit the Big Fish Games website and they have all their games sorted by genre.  Look under the HOP category and then search for the game on PSN to see if it has been ported over to the PS3/PS4.  Hope this helps! ☺️

The easiest way to answer that is look at my game listing.

8 minutes ago, PermaFox said:

Have you played Lost Grimoires and Nightmare of the Deep series?

5 minutes ago, PermaFox said:

If you are really into HOPs, you can visit the Big Fish Games website and they have all their games sorted by genre.  Look under the HOP category and then search for the game on PSN to see if it has been ported over to the PS3/PS4.  Hope this helps! ☺️

I'll check that out. thanks

35 minutes ago, Kristycism said:

Well, on this site, a lot of games have genres listed, and you can click on them to find all games in the same genre (EDIT: I meant to add, you can do this straight from the game's page on your profile, it's in the box on the right).

So for the Artifex Mundi style games then it'd be Point and Click (you can click that to go straight to the list).

But some of the genres of games are slightly mislabelled, so don't take that as a "I'll like everything in this list" and more of a starting point on games to look at. Most are labelled well, but some I don't really get why they're in there.

Games page? Are you referring to the page that lists all game alphabetically?

52 minutes ago, Kristycism said:

Ok, you're referring to the page that lists all the trophies for a particular game. Yeah that wasn't much help because HOPs are often categorized as adventure games and that covers a wide spectrum of games. Adventure Games is a very vague and general heading.

26 minutes ago, tinman_1954 said:

Ok, you're referring to the page that lists all the trophies for a particular game. Yeah that wasn't much help because HOPs are often categorized as adventure games and that covers a wide spectrum of games. Adventure Games is a very vague and general heading.

On this site, you'll find a narrower list under Point-and-Click games (I gave a link in my previous post to where that would take you) rather than Adventure games.

EDIT: ones I'd recommend specifically if you like Artifex Mundi is the Syberia series of games, Broken Sword (I think there's only one available on PSN, but there are more for PC), Machinarium and Detective Gallo. Day of the Tentacle and Deponia/Chaos on Deponia are also good but take a more humorous approach to it than the serious tone of Artifex Mundi games.

There are probably many other good ones too, but those are the ones I've personally played and enjoyed. 

Edited by Kristycism
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kristycism said:

On this site, you'll find a narrower list under Point-and-Click games (I gave a link in my previous post to where that would take you) rather than Adventure games. 

That's what I did, the Point-and-Click tab. In fact that's where I'm at now. Unfortunately that brought up mostly adventure games and hardly any HOPs.

1 hour ago, Kristycism said:

EDIT: ones I'd recommend specifically if you like Artifex Mundi is the Syberia series of games, Broken Sword (I think there's only one available on PSN, but there are more for PC), Machinarium and Detective Gallo. Day of the Tentacle and Deponia/Chaos on Deponia are also good but take a more humorous approach to it than the serious tone of Artifex Mundi games.

There are probably many other good ones too, but those are the ones I've personally played and enjoyed. 

Thank you very much! That narrows the playing field down quit a bit. Now I have a more specific direction to head. That's great. Thanks