where's the best place to start for someone trying to jump into Anime?

iTsxLuiGi

Definitely Elfen Lied. 

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Elfen Lied, it is a very simple anime that will make you want more and more. ^__^ It is also pretty sad. I would say it's good for beginners. 

It also only has 13 episodes. Can't go wrong with 13 episodes amirite?

Edited by Kirbz

OP, you could really help here by posting what you're interested in like drama, comedy, mecha, horror, slice of life, romance, martial arts, science fiction, etc...

OP - Speaking as someone who was in the same situation as you a while back, don't start off on something that has 300+ episodes already aired. Go for something more compact or something you can easily catch up on :) Definitely recommend Cowboy Bebop and Fullmetal Alchemist.

There aren't all that many with 200+ let alone 300+ and most of those are shounen such as Naruto, One Piece, Dragon Ball - Z, Bleach...

Yeah well, he didn't exactly say what he was interested in and also said he was a beginner. A beginner should start watching shorter and simpler anime's to see what she or he's interested in.

Lol, I don't think a beginner should watch Bakemonogatari, Higurashi, Toradora or Steins;Gate haha.

Well Steins;Gate maybe but the others, meh :/

I'd argue only Bakemonogatari shouldn't be watched by a newcomer the other's fit in quite well with other genres especially Higurashi and Toradora, I'll admit Steins;Gate might be pushing it with a newcomer but again that would come down to what they're interested in.

Edited by IF-chan
  • Like 2

OP, you could really help here by posting what you're interested in like drama, comedy, mecha, horror, slice of life, romance, martial arts, science fiction, etc...

i'm into quite a bit. out of the ones you've mentioned i'd be into more of the horror, or the scifi or the martial arts. maybe even the comedy. when i first started this thread, like i said a little further up, i didn't realize how widespread the term "anime" was. i didn't realize there were so many "sub-genres" that could be chosen from. i'll probably be starting with some Cowboy Bebop tonight after work, and move on from there, giving some of the other suggestions in this thread a shot.

i'm into quite a bit. out of the ones you've mentioned i'd be into more of the horror, or the scifi or the martial arts. maybe even the comedy. when i first started this thread, like i said a little further up, i didn't realize how widespread the term "anime" was. i didn't realize there were so many "sub-genres" that could be chosen from. i'll probably be starting with some Cowboy Bebop tonight after work, and move on from there, giving some of the other suggestions in this thread a shot.

Well with those you've been recommended quite a few already, just use the link I gave you earlier to read synopsis of each show and see if it fits what you'd actually enjoy but don't always turn a show down because of that as some might surprise you. I could give a great example of a synopsis you shouldn't trust and that is Puella Magi Madoka Magica, you'd do yourself a disservice turning that one down just because of it being in the magical girl genre.

I'd have to add Shiki if you want more horror anime listed, Hajime no Ippo for some boxing, Is This a Zombie? should be good for some comedy and I suppose Gundam should qualify for your SciFi or even Steins;Gate. Anime is far broader than just being classed as anime that would be like classing all games and thinking there are no sub genres, even Disney cartoons have changes in their genre as well.

There are a lot of series you should enjoy of course some will depend on if you're willing for English voices only or if subtitles are fine, I'd say a few classics you should watch are Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Ghost in the Shell, Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Mobile Suit Gundam, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Rurouni Kenshin and Yu Yu Hakusho.

I'd like to add I'd whole heartedly recommend these five series as personal recommendations to most people:

Fate/Zero

Kara no Kyoukai

Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Black Lagoon

Toaru Majutsu no Index and Toaru Kagaku no Railgun

For currently airing series that might interest you I'd suggest:

Haiyore! Nyaruko-san before watching the now airing Haiyore! Nyaruko-san W

Shingeki no Kyojin also known as Attack on Titan

Hataraku Maou-sama! also known as The Devil is a Part-Timer!

Hayate no Gotoku Cuties but first watch Hayate no Gotoku also known as Hayate the Combat Butler

For currently airing series that might interest you I'd suggest:

Haiyore! Nyaruko-san before watching the now airing Haiyore! Nyaruko-san W

Shingeki no Kyojin also known as Attack on Titan

Hataraku Maou-sama! also known as The Devil is a Part-Timer!

Hayate no Gotoku Cuties but first watch Hayate no Gotoku also known as Hayate the Combat Butler

Aside from those you may also want to check out these as they are also airing now

Devil Survivor 2 The Animation

Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince (Majestic Prince for short)
Suisei no Gargantia
Edited by MidnightRadiance