where's the best place to start for someone trying to jump into Anime?

iTsxLuiGi

not necessarily the best anime, but ones that aren't too crazy for someone who's not used to it. i've tried watching a few shows that friends are watching, and sometimes it's just a little too weird for someone that new. i've heard shows like Cowboy Bebop, or DBZ. are there any other good "beginner" shows?

Well I would say Fairy tail and Detective Conan, if you're fine watching them as subs because I honestly think that the english dubs are awful on both shows. Oh and DC might get a little boring after 200 chapters because they don't want to move on with the story so quickly... And Fairy tail is on break now so you have plenty of time to catch up :)

Try Dragon Ball Z but i recommend watching Dragon Ball first here a list of old and recent anime's i have watched that may interest you

Orphen-Is an anime about a mage who sets on a journey to help a fried

Doraemon-Classic comedy anime it doesn't have an ending episode it has tons of episodes you can watch it just to get a good laugh 

History Strongest Discipline Kenichi-A teenager who gets tired of being bullied and finds a dojo full of masters of different disciplines he joins the dojo in hope of becoming stronger and protect those he cares about

there are many more maybe the Anime expert IF-chan can recommend you some other choices

• Like 1

i'll definitely try some of these out. Fullmetal Alchemist is on netflix so easily accessible, so i'll probably start there for now. and if i get into it at all i'll give some of the other suggestions a shot.

And check out Adult Swim Saturday at Midnight when they do their Toonami block

that's perfect. 3 hours from now. i'm glad i didn't ask this tomorrow. :P deff give it a shot. thanks. Edited by iTsxLuiGi

Bleach, Dragonball, Hack Sign, S-cry-ed, Street Fighter(The Cartoon Movie), Shaman King, The Boondocks(Drawings are in  an Anime style but is US product so it called a cartoon.),  Akira(Ending scene is the only weird part), Neo Genesis, Pokemon, Yu-gi-oh are safer more mainstream Animes.

For crazy but more fun animes, ask these peoples! You must give them an offering first tho. :)

Otaku-4.jpg

Bleach, Dragonball, Hack Sign, S-cry-ed, Street Fighter(The Cartoon Movie), Shaman King, The Boondocks(Drawings are in  an Anime style but is US product so it called a cartoon.),  Akira(Ending scene is the only weird part), Neo Genesis, Pokemon, Yu-gi-oh are safer more mainstream Animes.

For crazy but more fun animes, ask these peoples! You must give them an offering first tho. :)

Otaku-4.jpg

is Pokemon really considered an Anime? i had no idea.

is Pokemon really considered an Anime? i had no idea.

The quick breakdown. 

We have two strong art form of media, one is Anime(Japan) and one is Cartoons(The West). They both have different styling to them. Anime has a more close to realistic (humanoids) drawing style than Cartoons. Tho Cartoons tend to be more funnier and more welcoming than Anime. Pokemon is Japanese and also Anime because it more realistic in humanoid type drawing than any cartoon version would be. 

One Piece is the number one anime I would recommend to any "beginner" to anime. It's story isn't too complex or weird and the action in it is great. I would also recommend Detective Conan (AKA Case Closed). It has a clever storyline and was inspired by Sherlock Holmes so if your into mysteries this is definately your thing. It's a great anime that follows easily from episode to episode (each episode is a murder case) and my only regret is not watching this anime sooner!

Also by weird in what sense do you mean as that's different from person to person, as i have more stuff i wanna say but not sure if its in your weirdness zone

But anyway stuff i left out that would be great for any anime watcher:

Bakemonogatari ( and its sequel)

Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni (sequel as well)

K-On!

Katekyo Hitman Reborn (though if you wanna fully enjoy it you need to read the manga)

Death Note (almost everyone will recommend this)

Code Geass (same as Death Note)

Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica

Rurouni Kenshin

Angel Beats

Steins;Gate

Ano Hana

Toradora

Yu-Yu Hakasho

Sakamichi no Apollon

• Like 1

Also by weird in what sense do you mean as that's different from person to person, as i have more stuff i wanna say but not sure if its in your weirdness zone

But anyway stuff i left out that would be great for any anime watcher:

Bakemonogatari ( and its sequel)

Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni (sequel as well)

K-On!

Katekyo Hitman Reborn (though if you wanna fully enjoy it you need to read the manga)

Death Note (almost everyone will recommend this)

Code Geass (same as Death Note)

Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica

Rurouni Kenshin

Angel Beats

Steins;Gate

Ano Hana

Toradora

Yu-Yu Hakasho

Sakamichi no Apollon

maybe weird was a bad choice of word. i'm fine with weird. i read "weird" comics, watch "weird" shows. really what i meant was, there was SO MUCH weird going on, that for someone new to the genre, i was just lost.... i had no clue what was going on, i just couldn't follow it. i'm sure i'd be fine with it once i'm a little more used to the genre, but as a beginner, it was just a bit too much going on to keep up.

Ohh so basically something that's really random plot wise, well something like that might fit the bill for a few comedy anime, but other than that there aren't that many anime series like that, though that may be just my personal view since i watched a good amount of shows.

But based on that you may want to avoid Lucky Star, and Nichijou for now as they are great shows (especially Nichijou) though will throw you for a loop if unprepared for them

Lol, you didn't have to recommend so many anime xD

I know, but as i went through my list i just started typing, though i caught myself and stopped before giving out alot more.

Though since he's new at anime i couldn't be sure of what his preferences were so i just tried to have a variety of stuff