I don't know why I play this game...

Dreakon139

I love hockey, when I play NHL 12 online I do my best to play a realistic game. I utilize my defensemen, try to set up plays, pretty much shoot the puck from every angle to score a goal or two.

Then I run into the same dweebs from NHL 11. There's one way, and one way only, to score goals in this game and they spend the entire game desperately trying to do it. Enter the zone, do an absurd amount of deking/circling/turning on a dime until the CPU joins them (choose an actually highly rated team to make this easier), make an easy pass (easy because the game renders intercepting/blocking the pass useless) and one timer into the net because the goaltender can't go left to right that quickly.

It's just miserably depressing. I want to enjoy this game, I really do. At least NHL 11 I could play stronger defensively and it actually led to me winning more games... but that isn't the case this year. It looks like the people who hunt for borderline exploits to win every game have finally won.

I figured out the most baffling thing on another forum.

Hold L2 pretty much all the time. It turned my team of completely idiotic junior league hockey players into competent NHL players. Suddenly my guys were intercepting passes, receiving passes, controlling the puck better, landing one-timers and generally not disappointing me every second of every game. Actually on a 4 game winning streak since learning that and got my Level 10 Versus trophy. :)

Really obnoxious though that one button means the difference from complete and utter incompetence and success though.

I thought this game got Best Sports Game at E3?

I'd be hard pressed to call it bad lol, just need to hold L2 apparently. I'm guessing there's some functional purpose why L2 makes your players competent, I think they call it "Vision Control".

It really wouldn't shock me if EA paid some people off though. This game got better scores then it deserved.

• 8 months later...