WARNING: Chapter breaking Glitch

JaapertNL

Currently on the Caspian Sea chapter and by free exploring I reached the north top of the map where is a kind of a stronghold. For some reason they keep throwing grenades and it becomes impossible to get away as they keep killing you even from very far away. If your last save is at around the point where they keep throwing grenades at you you cannot do more that restating the chapter from scratch as you will never be able to make it out alive. 

25 minutes ago, JaapertNL said:

Thanks for sharing. From a game design perspective I think it is always better to have various saves instead of one single one. There is always a chance that somethings goes wrong and with a single save slot you are kinda screwed 

They need to patch it in. Lots of games on consoles have multiple save slots why not this one?

50 minutes ago, JaapertNL said:

Where did you encounter that other glitch. Agreed with you to save once in while on the cloud. Though you can restart a chapter it is still annoying to run into a glitch after 5-6 hours of exploring a map and then to have start over. 

The same as this one.

35 minutes ago, KainDMD said:

Some streamer ran into a bug where the game saved while he was doing an animation and now he can't do anything. No prompts, no shooting. Dying or restarting checkpoint didn't help either. It looked like a walking sim

This isn't a glitch necessarily.

This is just the "auto-save" system and getting caught up in a place where you're getting attacked and/or have minimum resources to survive and constantly die.

This same thing happened to me on Volga. I'm playing on Ranger Hardcore Difficulty and went wandering off and got caught with a bad "auto-save" that triggered right when enemies were attacking me.

Only course of option was to restart the chapter. 

I will admit it is a headache especially when combined with Ranger Hardcore, dying a lot, long load times.. But what you're describing and experiencing definitely is just a byproduct of an "auto-save" only system. It's not a glitch in my opinion.. All the Metro games are like this to a degree. But the others are easier to manage and plan the auto-saves because of the "tighter/linear" corridors. It sucks when it happens but Chapter restarts because you got dicked around by auto-save isn't anything new. The only fix for this would be a manual save system and I don't see that happening since you could never manual save in Metro 2033 or Last Light.

Take it slow and try your best to avoid and/or stealth kill everything.. Because once you're spotted especially on Ranger Hardcore, Death comes quick!

Edited by JayBizzle311
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, JayBizzle311 said:

This isn't a glitch necessarily.

This is just the "auto-save" system and getting caught up in a place where you're getting attacked and/or have minimum resources to survive and constantly die.

This same thing happened to me on Volga. I'm playing on Ranger Hardcore Difficulty and went wandering off and got caught with a bad "auto-save" that triggered right when enemies were attacking me.

Only course of option was to restart the chapter. 

I will admit it is a headache especially when combined with Ranger Hardcore, dying a lot, long load times.. But what you're describing and experiencing definitely is just a byproduct of an "auto-save" only system. It's not a glitch in my opinion.. All the Metro games are like this to a degree. But the others are easier to manage and plan the auto-saves because of the "tighter/linear" corridors. It sucks when it happens but Chapter restarts because you got dicked around by auto-save isn't anything new. The only fix for this would be a manual save system and I don't see that happening since you could never manual save in Metro 2033 or Last Light.

Take it slow and try your best to avoid and/or stealth kill everything.. Because once you're spotted especially on Ranger Hardcore, Death comes quick!

I partly agree with you. It is indeed a very bad save design but in this particular case I was far away from the stronghold, could make it back to the car and escaped bit by bit by making saves every time I got a bit further but for some reason they just kept throwing grenades even when I was 100s of meters away. The glitch in my opinion is that I have triggered a point I could not trigger because of the story line but this should not allow to occur in an “open world” game where you try to explore. Secondly it is impossible to still hit me with grenades even when I made it 100s of meter away from the place. Just making sure the door could not open before I triggered the right moment of the story line would have had solved it. Nevertheless, good you can restart the chapter and do not have to start the game all over again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JaapertNL said:

I partly agree with you. It is indeed a very bad save design but in this particular case I was far away from the stronghold, could make it back to the car and escaped bit by bit by making saves every time I got a bit further but for some reason they just kept throwing grenades even when I was 100s of meters away. The glitch in my opinion is that I have triggered a point I could not trigger because of the story line but this should not allow to occur in an “open world” game where you try to explore. Secondly it is impossible to still hit me with grenades even when I made it 100s of meter away from the place. Just making sure the door could not open before I triggered the right moment of the story line would have had solved it. Nevertheless, good you can restart the chapter and do not have to start the game all over again. 

Oh ok I got ya now! Yeah that is messed up with the grenades.