Team Bondi And KMM Get New Funding For Whore Of The Orient

skinner49

Good news?

TeamBondi-Neon-610.jpg

After Team Bondi's post-L.A. Noire meltdown, the studio's future was in jeopardy. The very public criticisms of Rockstar Games, who published the hardboiled crime drama cast a dark cloud over an otherwise excellent title supported by superior facial capture technology.

When it was announced that a new game, Whore of the Orient, was in the works, fans had high hopes. The project was picked up by Kennedy Miller Mitchell (KMM) for development on PC and next-generation consoles. 

In April of this year, reports surfaced that the title was in trouble, with significant layoffs and Warner Bros. backing out if the publishing arrangement. Now, it seems, there is new hope.

KMM has received $200,000 in funding from New South Wales' Interactive Media Fund. Screen NSW, the entity that handles the funding, is the governmental organization that handles filming and related activities in and around Sydney, Australia.

While $200,000 isn't nearly enough to fund a video game, the award indicates that the project is still alive. Interestingly, another grantee is Intuitive Games Studios, founded by Team Bondi alumni. Their game, Canonical Five, is described as a "thrilling interactive detective game."

I thought that studio was closed down...good to know. I wasn't a huge fan of LA Noire but it showed some promise. Although I think the company will need to change the title because I doubt companies like Wal Mart or Toys R Us are going to carry a game with the word Whore in the title :)

I thought that studio was closed down...good to know. I wasn't a huge fan of LA Noire but it showed some promise. Although I think the company will need to change the title because I doubt companies like Wal Mart or Toys R Us are going to carry a game with the word Whore in the title :)

Team Bondi was shuttered, but KMM (best known for the Mad Max, Babe and Happy Feet movies) bought the facial recognition software and some of the team leaders from Team Bondi, along with the concept for Whore of the Orient.

The project is still unlikely to get off the ground because the wanker behind the Team Bondi collapse is still at the helm, but this grant does provide an olive branch to the production and a possible avenue for venture capital.