What would you have reappear or change for Dragons Dogma II

Hi everyone,

A while back I remember reading somewhere that the dev of Dragons Dogma would love to make a sequel, but at that time a lot was invested in DMC5. So with a splash of hope we could indeed get a sequel to this much loved game. 

With that in mind what would you love to see in DD2 and what would you love to see new in the game?

1: Keep the pawn system. People yacked on about the AI in Shadow of Mordor, but for me personally the pawn system was very clever too. This time around though I would love to be able to create 3 pawns instead of just the one. And for those that can't be arsed to do that we could still have the online pawns too. 

2: Weather effects. Some nice rain effects maybe, perhaps create some mud splashes and stuff, but what I would love is thunder and lightning. Imagine walking the land and all of a sudden a bolt of lightning lights up the distance, giving you a glimpse of whats in the distance. 

3: Keep the MC mute. By that I mean don't give the MC a specific talking role and 9/10 this always limits what you can do in RPG's as the voice never suits your personal idea of what you want to create. Would much prefer a text response and maybe have it result in different dialog responses from the in game characters.

4: Better fast travel points. Its great seeing the land, but RPG's are littered with fetch requests. Even in games like GTA, you eventually look for the fastest flying vehicles as to get to your destination once you've already been to the same place time and time again. The fast travel placers in Witcher 3 were very good. 

5: Lots more hidden bosses. Unlike most games of this kind, the combat is very varied and different, so what bosses do feature in DD can be played all kinds of ways rather than just having to use one specific move. I love boss battles when its like this. 

6: Don't add a weapons builder. Not sure thats the right name but sure you know what I mean. Basically from when this genre first arrived it was all about using multiple weapons to beat particular enemies. When the add a weapons maker thing, you always end up with some ultimate weapon early on which makes no sense to use anything else. In game weapons with a select amount of upgrades is perfect I think. Gives you reason to explore in the first place.

7: Multiple save files. Capcom have done this single autosave in a few of their games and I frikkin hate it. I hate it on a 3hr game let alone a massive RPG like this. 

8: Keep it single player with just the pawn online element. No need to go multiplayer as it destroys the whole point of the gamer getting to be the hero. Not to mention it would make no frikkin sense. 

So do you agree/disagree with those ideas of mine, what ideas do you have for DD2?

Edited by DaveMcDamage

• 1 year later...

The biggest thing I would like changed is how pawns treat quest knowledge, because as it stands, it is completely useless. The main thing about quests is knowing of their existence, and how to trigger them, and quest knowledge doesn't do that at all. Instead, quest knowledge often repeats what you already know, and even if you don't, the vast majority of quests have quest markers right on your map.

Pawn enemy knowledge is a great idea that I really like. But it needs better implementation. As I said in another thread, it's exceedingly frustrating to have all of your pawns saying, "Do this!", but none of them actually doing it.

Fast travel would be good. There's no good reason not to unlock fast travel to important places simply by visiting. They can always shut it off if, say, an ambush or a plotline will happen on the way.

Weaker enemies should leave you alone. It's so annoying to get hit by goblins when you're at the end game. They are completely innocuous at that point, and do nothing other than waste time.

I think that characters should be able to choose where their stat gains go, or at the very least, have every class give the same raw number of stat points. It's ridiculous that some classes actually grow faster than other ones. There's no good excuse for this.

As far as the points of the TC above, I like most of them, except for multiple saves. 

Edited by starcrunch061