Your opinion for American Fugitive

DaveMcDamage

Never heard about this until I saw it on sale...

Now Indie devs have next to no money most of the time so marketing is going to be s**t for their games, unless they've shown it the press and they had their mind blown. This didn't seem to happen for American Fugitive.

I was toying with getting it due to it being on sale. Looked about, opinions for the game are very marmite. But I had nothing else to play and so I bought the game. Even got in touch with Fallen Tree Games who made the game to check if they had DLC planned and stuff of was this the final product. 

Anyway they were happy for a new customer and hoped I had fun with it. 

I'm not.

Visuals from the start are very pleasing for an isometric view game. Everything from scenery to vehicle and character models look and move superb. Then you start the game properly and it all goes to s**t. You see its the police mechanic that destroys any fun whatsoever in this game. Forget the dumb AI, I'm talking about it being way to strict. Now whilst you wish the police in real life were so quick to react, in a video game its just tedious having them turn up for every single f**king incident. Hit a lamp post - Police turn up. Slightly rub another vehicle - Police turn up. Buy a new car because you can't be bothered with the chore of stealing a car, only for oncoming traffic to hit your new purchased car - Police turn up. They've made it very hard to like the game. 

And thats why I am so pissed off with it. Never before have a seen a game with so much potential go and f**k it all up right after the intro credits. Forget how samey the missions are, some can actually be done in various ways to suit your play method, but f**k me if the insta-police don't f**k it all up. 

And seeing as how you play as a petty thief who it out for vengeance but in the meantime has to rob and sell stuff, why oh why did you not get given a stash house. I assume this game was released within the last 2-3 years? Then why are they so backwards with things like this in this kind of game. 

Then there is the driving. Now the actual physics are pretty decent and for what they set out to do with the driving I can't imagine them getting it any more right than what they did. But when picking up speed you can no longer see where the hell you're going because the camera doesn't zoom out. The gamers who have played this compare it to the very first GTA top down games, but even they zoomed out when going at high speeds so you could see where you're going. Isometric driving (for me) has only been done well in a very old racing game back in the SNES days. It was a rally game and with its isometric view it worked really well. But it worked well because a rally game doesn't have on-coming traffic. And we know what on-coming traffic in this game means.... Police.

Only visually does this go way ahead of the old GTA games from the 90's. For the rest of the game they need to stop comparing against GTA and realise they truly made a balls up of this game. And f**k me if its not a super shame. 

The game cost me £9.99 in the current sales. I don't feel ripped off, just very disappointed. 

What did you guys think?

• 8 months later...
On 27.08.2019 at 6:25 PM, DaveMcDamage said:

What did you guys think?

You wrote the review the very first day that you started playing the game  - did your experience change along the way seeing that you went on to 100% the game? The game is in the current sales and it's been on my radar ever since it was first released - that's why I ask.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2020 at 7:57 AM, det_gittes said:

You wrote the review the very first day that you started playing the game  - did your experience change along the way seeing that you went on to 100% the game? The game is in the current sales and it's been on my radar ever since it was first released - that's why I ask.

If you can get the sale and want a game which is a better version of the original top down GTA games, then get it. You get the game plus the DLC expansion. 

Since my review/first impressions of the game, FTG have definitely put some time in to patch most if not all the issues this game had. So yeah mate. Looking back I don't regret it now, and if you can get it on sale then do so. Anything else just give me a shout. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It's a really great game, I got it day one, and it's easily one of my favorite 'indie' games.

The narration is pretty good, gameplay as well, open world is well designed, good lifespan.

I would totally recommend if you like action and GTA Like games.

• Like 1