Call of the wild 2019 starter info please

Hi all, just bought the 2019 edition on disc. So I have a few questions. Does all the dlc come on the 2019 edition disc as standard? I’m looking at the store, and there’s still a lot of extra dlc packs in there. If they aren’t on my disc already, which of them are essential for me to buy? Next question, if I have some dlc weapons included, which rifle should I be using straight away out of them all? My rifle now seems weak, I shoot a dear in the lung region and they run off for miles before I either get to them, or lose them. Thanks 

2 hours ago, Gefro-On-Defro said:

Hi all, just bought the 2019 edition on disc. So I have a few questions. Does all the dlc come on the 2019 edition disc as standard? I’m looking at the store, and there’s still a lot of extra dlc packs in there. If they aren’t on my disc already, which of them are essential for me to buy? Next question, if I have some dlc weapons included, which rifle should I be using straight away out of them all? My rifle now seems weak, I shoot a dear in the lung region and they run off for miles before I either get to them, or lose them. Thanks 

Unfortunately I don't remember which DLCs I bought but I am pretty sure that at first you don't need the DLCs as you need to get to know the stock weapons anyway. What I would definitely suggest, though, is visiting theHunter: CotW wiki. You'll find there lots of useful information and also you can read up on each animal in terms of its location, shot scheme, recommended weapons, etc. There is a guide up for this game but if you feel that you could use more information (also on top of the wiki site), you can visit the steam discussion page for this game - it's very active and quite a lot of information there as well.

Actually, what I would suggest getting is tents and tripods (unless the 2019 edition has them). A tent acts like fast travel (you can set it up in the vicinity of a rest zone and monitor it conveniently, also you can pass time while in a tent and have access to storage) and tripods are great for hunting as animals can still scent you but you're almost invisible to them - it kills the fun a bit but it's a good way of finishing certain missions quickly.

9 minutes ago, det_gittes said:

Unfortunately I don't remember which DLCs I bought but I am pretty sure that at first you don't need the DLCs as you need to get to know the stock weapons anyway. What I would definitely suggest, though, is visiting theHunter: CotW wiki. You'll find there lots of useful information and also you can read up on each animal in terms of its location, shot scheme, recommended weapons, etc. There is a guide up for this game but if you feel that you could use more information (also on top of the wiki site), you can visit the steam discussion page for this game - it's very active and quite a lot of information there as well.

Actually, what I would suggest getting is tents and tripods (unless the 2019 edition has them). A tent acts like fast travel (you can set it up in the vicinity of a rest zone and monitor it conveniently, also you can pass time while in a tent and have access to storage) and tripods are great for hunting as animals can still scent you but you're almost invisible to them - it kills the fun a bit but it's a good way of finishing certain missions quickly.

Thanks for the info. Finding it pretty tough tbh. Takes me ages to find an animal, then when I do hit it in the suggested area of its body, it doesn’t down it. I spend ages tracking where it ran too, and most of the time I don’t even find it. It usually has low blood stains. But yeah, I’ll look at that site 

4 minutes ago, Gefro-On-Defro said:

Thanks for the info. Finding it pretty tough tbh. Takes me ages to find an animal, then when I do hit it in the suggested area of its body, it doesn’t down it. I spend ages tracking where it ran too, and most of the time I don’t even find it. It usually has low blood stains. But yeah, I’ll look at that site 

Well, the game is not exactly super easy and if you take your shot from a distance, it's very easy to miss the insta-death spot. Once you track down the animal, you see what area you actually hit - so you'll know how are off the vital organs you were. Also, the thoracic spine area used to be fairly easy to hit, though I don't remember if that hasn't been changed somehow. But I definitely agree that tracking animals can be a huge pain in the ass. 

You may also look up some videos - there are YT guys who play CotW as their main game, e.g. Flinter. Also the devs stream regularly on twitch - you may watch a video or two just to see what they do and pick up some strats. Don't get discouraged, as in every other game, once you know what you're doing, you'll start enjoying this game a lot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, det_gittes said:

Well, the game is not exactly super easy and if you take your shot from a distance, it's very easy to miss the insta-death spot. Once you track down the animal, you see what area you actually hit - so you'll know how are off the vital organs you were. Also, the thoracic spine area used to be fairly easy to hit, though I don't remember if that hasn't been changed somehow. But I definitely agree that tracking animals can be a huge pain in the ass. 

You may also look up some videos - there are YT guys who play CotW as their main game, e.g. Flinter. Also the devs stream regularly on twitch - you may watch a video or two just to see what they do and pick up some strats. Don't get discouraged, as in every other game, once you know what you're doing, you'll start enjoying this game a lot.

Cheers mate. Is there a way to boost this game? Like get someone who’s really good in Co op to just shoot animals for you, then you claim them and get the Xp and money?

18 minutes ago, Gefro-On-Defro said:

Cheers mate. Is there a way to boost this game? Like get someone who’s really good in Co op to just shoot animals for you, then you claim them and get the Xp and money?

I never played the MP so I wouldn't know but I doubt you can do missions this way, as for XP and money, I don't know. But as everything takes ages in this game (I mean downing one animal doesn't take ages, but downing 10 or 15 can't be done in a matter of a few minutes), you would have to find a very dedicated boosting partner :D

If you feel impatient, do this: 1) find a resting/feed zone, 2) put up a tent some distance away from it, and a tripod close to the zone, 3) look at the time the animals are expected to be in the zone and pass time to around this time; 4) carefully get to the tripod - make sure you're not in the wind from the direction of the zone, if so, change the location of the tripod, 5) get up there and wait - it will sometimes take shorter and other times longer but the animals will almost always come eventually; 6) down an animal and immediately use a caller - within minutes the animals will return (they will even without a caller, but it speeds things up). Rinse and repeat. 

When I first played this game, tripods weren't available but it was still possible to find a piece of rock, climb on it and be patient - but with tripods the hunting in this game has been dumbed down considerably. If you are for the hunting experience, they are not the way to go - but it looks like you may not necessarily appreciate all the long hours that go into hunting the intended way - so tripods are definitely a quicker solution. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, det_gittes said:

I never played the MP so I wouldn't know but I doubt you can do missions this way, as for XP and money, I don't know. But as everything takes ages in this game (I mean downing one animal doesn't take ages, but downing 10 or 15 can't be done in a matter of a few minutes), you would have to find a very dedicated boosting partner :D

If you feel impatient, do this: 1) find a resting/feed zone, 2) put up a tent some distance away from it, and a tripod close to the zone, 3) look at the time the animals are expected to be in the zone and pass time to around this time; 4) carefully get to the tripod - make sure you're not in the wind from the direction of the zone, if so, change the location of the tripod, 5) get up there and wait - it will sometimes take shorter and other times longer but the animals will almost always come eventually; 6) down an animal and immediately use a caller - within minutes the animals will return (they will even without a caller, but it speeds things up). Rinse and repeat. 

When I first played this game, tripods weren't available but it was still possible to find a piece of rock, climb on it and be patient - but with tripods the hunting in this game has been dumbed down considerably. If you are for the hunting experience, they are not the way to go - but it looks like you may not necessarily appreciate all the long hours that go into hunting the intended way - so tripods are definitely a quicker solution. 

Sounds good

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gefro-On-Defro said:

Sounds good

Well, one more thing - the more animals you kill in a given area, the greater the hunting pressure becomes (when you look at the map, once you've downed and animal, a pink circle appear, the more animals you down, the darker pink/red the area becomes) and you don't want the pressure to be too high or else the animals will completely disappear from the location - so after you've downed, say, 10 animals, it is wise to go to a different location (I don't remember how many exactly).

Also a tip about these kill circles - if you shoot an animal from a distance and you don't know whether you've downed it or not, observe the map and whether a pink circle eventually appears on it or not - if it does almost instantly, of course it means that you've killed the animal and you will find it close to where you shot it, but if it only becomes visible after a minute or two (or more), it means that the wounded animal was running away for that long - so it is possible that you'll find it quite a distance away from the circle (which marks the location where it was hit, not where it died).

• Like 2