Anyone else feel like the distance is off?

As the title says does anyone else think the distance is off by alot? You have this fairly large city yet driving the long way around it only comes out to like 3-4 miles like all the way around. That seems off comparing the size of the people the cars ect to that it seems it should be maybe 20+ miles around or close to it

Thoughts?

• 2 years later...

I live in Chicago and if I'm doing the math correctly, and this is excluding a TON of variables, which I will point out in just a second, it would take someone 1833 hours (rounded to nearest hour) traveling at 30 mph to drive the entire Chicago area (234.5 mi sq) within the Chicago city limits, of course. This'll exclude the greater Chicagoland area and its nauseating amount of suburbs that reach across 3 states - Illinois, Indiana, and Wisconsin. If I had to ballpark the additional time needed to cover the complete Chicagoland area, I'd say maybe 2 - 2.5 times longer to cover minimum. 

This calculation is assuming there are absolutely no other vehicles on the road, all traffic lights are always green, no trains passing through, no need to stop to refuel, and no bad weather impeding that person to maintain a 30 mph average. This ALSO does not take into account any kind of everyday traffic-related headaches Chicago is known to throw at commuters. This includes:

- rush hour traffic

- can either have a morning rush and evening rush, or a rush that starts in the morning and lasts until the late evening 

- depending on day and time of year

- construction

- regardless of whether it's on the expressway or on the streets 

- your location within the city

- some areas are much more active than others

- areas of activity can shift depending on...

- time of day

- weekday or weekend

- weather

- traffic flow based on neighborhood

- an example being...

- 2 east/west streets in two different neighborhoods...

- 1 might get you from one north/south street to another across the city faster than the other

I didn't even try to fathom factoring in traffic accidents... That's just... no. 

An example of how that alone can curb your travel time for an ungodly amount of time is an incident I saw last night. Driving down a two lane main road around 9PM, moderate rainfall, tiny construction zone already slowing down lane going east (I'm going west), and of course I watch one vehicle slam into the back of the vehicle in front of it, destroying its back end, and causing that vehicle to wipe out into two parked cars next to it. 4 cars, 3 which looked totaled, completely bringing that eastbound lane to a stand still. Eventually, in order to clear that mess up, both lanes would have to be either halted and/or diverted temporarily, causing more delays. 

Traffic accidents are like the wildcard of variables here.

So yeah, I definitely feel like the map size is unreasonably small, given the fact that Empire "Carpet" Bay*** is supposed to be a major metropolis like New York City, moreso than the comfortably sized Lost Haven, IL map, which incidentally was supposed to be a reimagining of Chicago.

*** Empire Carpet started as a Chicago area carpet store, and is now nationwide, hence the joke, and would explain why all my license plates in the game say C4RP3T.

TLDR: I had some extra time on my hands while Jimmy and his quantum physics defying vehicle fall through matter into what I can only think to call "negative" or "null" space so I can be done with this damn Explorer trophy, and did some math... possibly poorly.

• Like 1