The Trails game after Hajimari will have a new battle system.

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/08/next-trails-game-to-feature-battle-system-with-action-elements-largely-different-cast-of-characters

In Weekly Famitsu, Toshihiro Kondo has said that the next Trails is NOT Hajimari 2. Hajimari will properly end within itself. One thing that really makes me go "hmmm" is a statement about Action Time Battles being gone after Hajimari. Looks like we are getting a new system of command battles with more of a realtime nature and no AT bar.

I'm shocked at the move away from the turn-based AT system, but then again I trust Falcom to make it work, whatever they decide to go with. They probably have been planning this switch for awhile. What do you think?

I've only played up to Cold Steel III but with all the things already added to the system up until that point (and with two games after that which I'm sure has even more additions), I'm guessing that Falcom can't really find anything more to add.  I already felt in Cold Steel III that there were a lot of mechanics and there's only so much you can keep adding things on to a turn-based system before it becomes clunky and need to revamp the whole thing.  Considering Falcom does Ys and Tokyo Xanadu wasn't too bad, I'm hopeful that it'll be a nice mix of action and turn-based.  The only issue is that it takes so long to localize the games that it'll be something like five years before we see it...

On 8/30/2020 at 2:24 AM, ccase137 said:

I've only played up to Cold Steel III but with all the things already added to the system up until that point (and with two games after that which I'm sure has even more additions), I'm guessing that Falcom can't really find anything more to add.  I already felt in Cold Steel III that there were a lot of mechanics and there's only so much you can keep adding things on to a turn-based system before it becomes clunky and need to revamp the whole thing.  Considering Falcom does Ys and Tokyo Xanadu wasn't too bad, I'm hopeful that it'll be a nice mix of action and turn-based.  The only issue is that it takes so long to localize the games that it'll be something like five years before we see it...

Not anytime soon, but I really don't think it'd be five years. Falcom will probably get the new Trails released for Japan in 2022 if not 2021. With all Trails of Cold Steel games having shown up in North America about two years after the Japanese date, this would be 2023-2024.