PlayStation has changed its stance on Mobile Phones

kitkatkita

Sony is hoping to embrace mobile phones with its official and companion apps, as well as free-to-play titles based on its PlayStation games.

"We've totally shifted our way of thinking," Yoshida said of Sony's stance in a recent interview. "Through the companion apps, the official PlayStation app and game dedicated apps... in some cases, we're creating small games that go with PS4 titles. We're releasing a puzzle game themed around Knack that you can play for free.

"It's fun, and by playing the game you earn some items that you can use on PS4. People might be motivated, because they've already unlocked some items, to take a look at what this Knack game on the PS4 is all about.

"What we're saying now is that we've totally changed our approach to mobile products like smartphones and tablets," he said. "In the past, we felt like these guys were competition to our portable games, in general - but now, everyone owns these smartphones and tablets.

"It's like everyone had a PC before - it's a tool that people use every day. Why not try to include them in the PlayStation ecosystem? Not that we're releasing lots of games on these mobile products, but to somehow push our PlayStation information to these devices that people already use every day.

"Lots of people don't seek out game-specific info - they're busy. But because they use social network services, App Stores... Let's push our info to them. That's why we are creating the hook, releasing the official PlayStation apps on Android and iOS at the launch of PS4.

"That has many functions - if you own a PS4, it's your connection to your own games or console, or your PlayStation Network community. Even if you don't own a PS4, it can be a way to find out what's happening in the PlayStation world, or you could use these devices as an input device for PS4."

Sony recently trademarked the latest Ratchet & Clank game for Mobile Phones. Could this or a spin off release as part of this new stance?

Would you be interested in a Knack themed puzzler for Mobile?

So what do you all think of this?

I'm looking forward to this if it can give ingame bonuses and such - as long as if works with my iPod Touch 4th Gen I'll be happy. Even if it is just a few small items (and only if they're exclusive to get on the mobile platform) so for instance let's say you could make Knack Blue if you unlock a skin for it in the mobile version - which I can then send to the main game. But if I can already unlock it in the main game, I won't see a point.

Well I dont like this news at all, dont get me wrong but incorporating companion apps with a game on the console not only will kill the immersion of the specific games story but it will start to bothe players with many distractions. For example Wonder Flick a LVL 5 game will feature mobile apps which impact the story, If i want to play the god damn game I got a console or the Vita for that. Mobile will just ruin the wait and the fun of playing, at least for me.

I'm not really into mobile gaming, but all power too them there's obviously a market for it, as long as it doesn't effect the production of some excellent playstation exclusives and some new IP's be my guest. ;D

But I don't like what GTA V did with the whole training chop mobile app, if you don't have an android phone or an iphone, you're kinda left with this untrainable furry meat sack that shits everywhere, I don't agree with that and I hope sony doesn't follow suit, keep it as a fun extra, not something that is somewhat needed.

Just my take on it. ;)

Edited by Humonic
  • Like 1

Check this out - https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/beyond-touch/id691908718?mt=8

Use the BEYOND Touch™ app to control your BEYOND: Two Souls™ game on PlayStation®3. The app can be used on any iOS device to replace your PlayStation®3 wireless controller. All you’ll need is for your PlayStation®3 console to be on the same WiFi network as your iOS device and you’ll be ready to play the game with touch controls.

Neato.

The key word here is 'optional'. Good for shits and giggles to enhance the interactive experience, but not essential to the core game.

Edited by ant1th3s1s