Has there been anything official on how the PS Plus cloud storage on PS5 works yet?

Raidou Kuzunoha XIV

I tried looking into this, and couldn't find anything. With the PS5 releasing soon, I was wondering how the PS Plus cloud storage is going to work - is it going to be shared with the PS4? Or have its own separate storage like the PS3 and Vita do?

My main concern is that, if it is shared with the PS4 (which I imagine it is to some extent, since some saves for PS4 version of games can apparently be transferred to PS5 versions of games this way, if I'm understanding it correctly), then a lot of people are probably going to be reaching that 1,000 save file limit pretty damn soon. I somehow haven't reached it yet, and I have about 800 saves last I checked, last year. Really hope if it is the case that it's fully shared with the PS4, they remove the limit, since it's basically impossible to fill up the whole 100GB limit with only 1,000 saves anyway.

Anyhow, I dunno if I'm just stupid with my search terms or something, so thought I would ask, does anyone know if there's anything official on this yet?

• Like 1

It better not be shared with PS4 1000 file cap. I guess they don't expect accounts to own and play so many games. With games needed normally 2 saves these days, that like only playing 500 PS4 games which is still a lot. It is so bullshit to give us "100GB" but im already capped at 12GB because of the cap. I found that the most misleading PS Plus feature ever. 

9 hours ago, NERVergoproxy said:

It better not be shared with PS4 1000 file cap. I guess they don't expect accounts to own and play so many games. With games needed normally 2 saves these days, that like only playing 500 PS4 games which is still a lot. It is so bullshit to give us "100GB" but im already capped at 12GB because of the cap. I found that the most misleading PS Plus feature ever. 

It's a really bizarre cap. I don't think the PS3 or Vita had it, certainly never heard of anyone ever reaching that cap on those systems anyway. I know some people speculate that it was probably meant to be 1,000 files max for EACH game, but Sony screwed up. With how much Sony has screwed up in the past, I wouldn't doubt it. There's zero point in giving you 100GB of save storage when it's impossible to fill it, so hopefully it's resolved in the future if the PS5 does indeed share the same cloud storage as PS4. Only way they're ever gonna do anything about it is if enough people complain though. It's not like you even need tons and tons of games to reach that cap, I know someone who only has about 30-40 PS4 games and has reached the cap because of all the saves games like Death Stranding, Days Gone, Minecraft and XCOM 2 make.

The only bright side is that it seems the PS5 will continue to support backups/restores of saves on USB sticks, if worst comes to worst.

45 minutes ago, Swotam said:

Given that Polygon is reporting that PS5 saves can only be copied to PS+ cloud, I’d certainly hope that the PS5 storage is separate. Personal I expect that it will be.

Welp, nevermind what I said about still being able to back up saves to USB then, assuming that's true. That's one thing Sony has had over the competition for the most part since the PS3 (maybe not so much the PS3 since some saves can't be copied to USB, and 360 was the same). I've always liked how you have a bit more control over your saves on PS4 compared to X1 and Switch, I can only hope the PS5 isn't awful in how it handles saves otherwise.

Certainly hope the PS5 cloud is separate now then, and that there's no 1,000 save file cap.

The problem is not many even know though there is a cap. Everyone mostly thinks they are paying for 100GB, because that is what SONY is advertising, you got to look deeper to know there is a cap that'll screw you over. When SONY upgraded everyone to 100GB they made it a big deal, but never said a thing about the truth, that chances are we won't even get to use 1/4 of it. Not sure how xbox has it but its probably better with him.