Remote Play PC + PS4: How can I improve this?

Detox2033

It gets really annoying. When I play at home with remote play, there is a permanent warning sign on the top left corner with bad connection errors and with the Vita I can't even start remote play, just with PC.

When I check the DL/UL Speed of my ps4, it gives me complete different numbers when I check this multiple times. Sometimes 3 mbit/s, the other day 51 mbit/s DL Speed and so on...

Here comes the strange thing: when I test remote play in the house of my parents, everything runs fine when I use 540p or 720p with the PC, I don't get it.

This seems to be only a problem with PS remote play, with Streaming Youtube, Netflix, Prime and so on I have no problems with speed and loading times. Shareplay seems also bit of bugged, 1 of 10 times works to share something with a friend. What can I do? I really dont know whats the exact problem to optimize

2 minutes ago, Detox2033 said:

What can I do?

I'm extremely confident it's your router causing the problems.

The most simple solution is to hardwire your PC and PS4 to ethernet and avoid wireless completely.

The more complicate solution is to look into firmware updates and settings.

The most expensive solution is to purchase a new router that will work better for what you're looking to do.

Remember it's not just DL/UL, it's also latency when you're trying to give input to the PS4 and receive feedback from the PS4 while you play.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DaivRules said:

I'm extremely confident it's your router causing the problems.

The most simple solution is to hardwire your PC and PS4 to ethernet and avoid wireless completely.

The more complicate solution is to look into firmware updates and settings.

The most expensive solution is to purchase a new router that will work better for what you're looking to do.

Remember it's not just DL/UL, it's also latency when you're trying to give input to the PS4 and receive feedback from the PS4 while you play.

Many thanks! You are right, I have a very simple old router without things like upnp and my parents have a newer one. This could be it.

Are sony servers a factor for remote play or is it really just a thing between my pc and the console and I can do this completely without sony in the background?

I think this could be the problem that the router can handle downloads and uploads well, but not streaming an device to another in the same room

Connection via cables instead of WLAN would be complicated because of the length and doors

4 minutes ago, Detox2033 said:

Are sony servers a factor for remote play or is it really just a thing between my pc and the console and I can do this completely without sony in the background?

Sony servers don’t play a factor in Remote Play. Your console is passing its input control off to a different device across a network and needs to receive that response timely. It doesn’t travel through any Sony servers while doing so. 

• Like 1

On 6.11.2020 at 1:55 PM, DaivRules said:

Sony servers don’t play a factor in Remote Play. Your console is passing its input control off to a different device across a network and needs to receive that response timely. It doesn’t travel through any Sony servers while doing so. 

It seems to be a complete problem for the ps4. The console is besides a xbox one in my living room. The xbox uses 50 mbit/s for downloads. The ps4 menu says that there is 100% wlan quality but the speedtest says 2 mbit/s and the downloads are real this slow.

How can this be that 2 consoles in the same place have this difference? 

2 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

The latency tolerance, the ports and protocols used and how they’re handled by the router. 

Now only chances are cable or new router :/

Before the last big system update there wasn't this big problem. speed wasn't still very good but not that bad

On 9.11.2020 at 1:11 PM, DaivRules said:

The latency tolerance, the ports and protocols used and how they’re handled by the router. 

Hi there.

I tested it with cable connection instead of wifi today. On cable I get maximum upload and download speeds! constant.

On one hand that's good, but on the other hand now I have a 5 meter cable through 2 rooms in my apartment. that's not ideal. What is the conclusion of this? Cable connection max. guarantees that my internet connection itself is okay and just the wifi / router is a problem, right?

Just now, Detox2033 said:

What is the conclusion of this? Cable connection max. guarantees that my internet connection itself is okay and just the wifi / router is a problem, right?

Conclusion(s):

A physical connection is going to have the lowest latency and be the best possible performance. 

Your internet connection doesn’t make a difference unless you’re going to try to Remote Play outside your house. Remote Play doesn’t use a lot of bandwidth. 

Your router affects your latency and that’s a big deal when trying to use Remote Play. 

• Like 1

Use ethernet-over-mains powerline adaptors, like these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-PA4010KIT-Powerline-Configuration-Required-UK/dp/B01BECPIMC

The convenience of wired without the hassle of the wires trailing between rooms.  Works great for me.  Remote play was bad when I used wi-fi, even when the PS4, PC and router were all in the same room.  Rock solid with these.

• Like 1

Using a wired connection via my router and my Playstation TV, remote playing on my PS4 is like a dream. There is no noticable latency at all, it's like playing on the console itself. That's in sharp contrast to the Vita on the same PS4 with wifi, which starts out terrible and gradually becomes even worse. I'm sure with better wifi and router it could improve, but if there is any way to hook everything up to ethernet cables then absolutely do so.

Edited by pinkrobot_pb
  • Like 1