Issue installing PS4 game onto PS5

DobieG83

I received my PS5 on Thursday and I have been slowly adding games to it over the past few days. I have had no issues except for the PS4 disc version of Call of Duty: WWII. It begins to install as normal - beyond the point where enough data is installed to begin gameplay. Once it reaches around 11.8GB / 48.0GB however it stops installing, the disc drive sounds like it is trying to read the disc but can't - and then a 'Cannot Install' error. I have managed to successfully install other disc based games, including PS5 Assassins Creed Valhalla and PS4 Uncharted 4.

I have tried cleaning my Call of Duty: WWII disc with various methods - I have tried Vaseline and the toothpaste method both to no avail. There are no obvious scratches either side of the disc, maybe a few very light scratches on the shiny side but these are difficult to see. Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Blu-ray discs have their data much closer to the surface than DVDs do, which is why even though they're harder to damage, if they do get any kind of scratches, it's far more likely to damage the data. It's too late now but you really shouldn't have used toothpaste on the disc, it's an abrasive and likely to do a lot more harm than any kind of good. The whole toothpaste thing was supposedly for buffering out scratches on DVDs (doubtful it actually ever worked tbh), but you can't buffer a blu-ray disc at all because, again, the data is too close to the surface. If you can see any kind of scratches on the disc as you say, try gently running your nail over them. If you can feel them at all, even if only a little, it means it's deep enough to have damaged the data, hence your issues. This shouldn't scratch up your disc any more if you're worried, it will likely leave superficial marks though which you should be able to wipe away completely, it's not easy to scratch a blu-ray.

I got a pre-owned copy of a PS4 game once, had some scratches on it, didn't look too bad, have had games with far worse scratches that worked fine, but it just kept popping up as "unrecognised disc" in my PS4. Tried running my nail over one of the scratches and sure enough, I could feel it. Must have been enough to make the disc completely unrecognisable. Sometimes all it takes is the wrong kind of scratch/damage in the wrong place to completely screw up a disc unfortunately.

I think your disc is probably screwed sadly. All I can really suggest is maybe try installing it when the console is in a different position (vertical or horizontal, whichever it currently isn't in), but chances are, it won't help.

On 11/22/2020 at 6:37 AM, DobieG83 said:

I received my PS5 on Thursday and I have been slowly adding games to it over the past few days. I have had no issues except for the PS4 disc version of Call of Duty: WWII. It begins to install as normal - beyond the point where enough data is installed to begin gameplay. Once it reaches around 11.8GB / 48.0GB however it stops installing, the disc drive sounds like it is trying to read the disc but can't - and then a 'Cannot Install' error. I have managed to successfully install other disc based games, including PS5 Assassins Creed Valhalla and PS4 Uncharted 4.

I have tried cleaning my Call of Duty: WWII disc with various methods - I have tried Vaseline and the toothpaste method both to no avail. There are no obvious scratches either side of the disc, maybe a few very light scratches on the shiny side but these are difficult to see. Does anyone have any suggestions please?

I'd say the disc is dead. By any chance, where you a PS+ member then COD WW2 was free? Maybe check and see if you can download the digital version.