Achievement hunter thinking of Trophy hunting

Gamesta74

I've always enjoyed the thrill of trying to get a higher GamerScore with my Xbox 360.  I also have a PS3 and I've gone after Trophies at times but I wasn't a fan of the DS3 controller so I focused most of my gaming on the 360.  Well, I just picked up a DS4 and it's a huge improvement, putting it up there with the 360 controller.  Also, from the information out there on the internet is that third party games may be better on the PS4 this time around.  My question is to you guys, what is it about trophies that makes it exciting.  Getting a Plat is nice but some games are not fun to try to complete, especially those with require multiple playthroughs and 100 hour online boosting sessions.  I'm looking forward to being a part of the Playstation community this time around so any insight on what makes trophies hunting great!  

My opinion might not be very insightful but I prefer the noise trophies make when they pop and I prefer the presentation of trophies on the PS3 system with the % bar.

I think they just look a whole lot cleaner, this includes the XBOne and PS4 versions too, the PS4 trophies just look so slick.

I enjoy working toward the plat as I'm playing through the game, but since I've started caring a bit about the trophies I feel like I get more out of my games because I play them for longer and try to squeeze everything I can out of it, including things I wouldn't usually have done otherwise. I guess the same feeling counts for achievement hunting.

Getting a Plat is nice but some games are not fun to try to complete, especially those with require multiple playthroughs and 100 hour online boosting sessions.

I've spent some time on both platforms, the Playstation Trophy system is miles better then any other for one simple reason... platinum's.  You don't NEED DLC to "complete" a game.  You get a platinum for collecting all of the core game trophies.  DLC will mess up your 100%, but once you have the platinum, you keep it.  If you want to focus on 100%'s you can, if you don't care about DLC (which I typically don't unless it's a game I really like a lot), you can just collect platinum's.  More enjoyable IMO, more instant/consistent gratification.

Other than that, the achievements and trophies are practically the same.  One bumps up a gamerscore, another bumps up a trophy level.  The achievements and trophies themselves are exactly the same (usually, with the exception of the platinum), so multiple playthroughs and 100 hour online boosting sessions would probably be needed on the Xbox as well.

EDIT: One thing I like about achievements though, is that they pop up immediately when you get them.  You can wait up to like a minute for the trophies to pop, which can be terrifying if you care about that sort of thing... and it's likely because trophies were added later and aren't really core PS3 functionality that games recognize right away.  Like it was tacked on.  Same with needing to "sync" your trophies in order to have the servers recognize updates.  Not game-changers or anything, since they work like achievements in almost every way, but it can be a bit of a turn off.  I bet the PS4 will correct a lot of it since trophies are a part of the gameplan from square one.

Edited by Dreakon139
  • Like 1

Getting Platinums are loads better than just completing a game.

Also, don't know if this is allowed, but there are ways in using a Xbox 360 controller on a PS3.. as well as that, there's a good few third party controllers designed more for those that prefer Xbox 360 controllers.  I don't really see the difference in them besides the PS3 one being a lot smaller, but the D-Pad is definitely better placed.

I've spent some time on both platforms, the Playstation Trophy system is miles better then any other for one simple reason... platinum's.  You don't NEED DLC to "complete" a game.  You get a platinum for collecting all of the core game trophies.  DLC will mess up your 100%, but once you have the platinum, you keep it.  If you want to focus on 100%'s you can, if you don't care about DLC (which I typically don't unless it's a game I really like a lot), you can just collect platinum's.  More enjoyable IMO, more instant/consistent gratification.

Other than that, the achievements and trophies are practically the same.  One bumps up a gamerscore, another bumps up a trophy level.  The achievements and trophies themselves are exactly the same (usually, with the exception of the platinum), so multiple playthroughs and 100 hour online boosting sessions would probably be needed on the Xbox as well.

EDIT: One thing I like about achievements though, is that they pop up immediately when you get them.  You can wait up to like a minute for the trophies to pop, which can be terrifying if you care about that sort of thing... and it's likely because trophies were added later and aren't really core PS3 functionality that games recognize right away.  Like it was tacked on.  Same with needing to "sync" your trophies in order to have the servers recognize updates.  Not game-changers or anything, since they work like achievements in almost every way, but it can be a bit of a turn off.  I bet the PS4 will correct a lot of it since trophies are a part of the gameplan from square one.

Yeah, that is one thing I don't like about the current trophy system is the delay for it to pop.  Also, in regards to 100% completion, it's not that I need to complete a game but what do you work towards besides the Plat.  Trophy levels?  Do many of you enjoy trying to raise it?  For example, while achievement hunting I set goals.  My current goal is to reach 70,000 GamerScore before the PS4 and Xbox One launch.  

I like the ding sound...

Oh yes, and welcome! xD

Thanks, good to be here!

Getting Platinums are loads better than just completing a game.

Also, don't know if this is allowed, but there are ways in using a Xbox 360 controller on a PS3.. as well as that, there's a good few third party controllers designed more for those that prefer Xbox 360 controllers.  I don't really see the difference in them besides the PS3 one being a lot smaller, but the D-Pad is definitely better placed.

I have an Xbox style controller for my PS3 but it's no where near as good, as most third party controllers just don't cut it.  Good news is that I discovered I can use my DS4 controller with the PS3, but I hear there are some games that don't work.  

I have an Xbox style controller for my PS3 but it's no where near as good, as most third party controllers just don't cut it.  Good news is that I discovered I can use my DS4 controller with the PS3, but I hear there are some games that don't work.  

And apparently the PS button doesn't work either..

And apparently the PS button doesn't work either..

Nope, I can confirm it does NOT work.  But I was able to use a second controller for that and it worked fine :)  

Over the next few days I'm going to try it on a variety of games (thank you PS plus) and try to get a better feel for it then I'll let you guys know what I think.  

Yeah, that is one thing I don't like about the current trophy system is the delay for it to pop.  Also, in regards to 100% completion, it's not that I need to complete a game but what do you work towards besides the Plat.  Trophy levels?  Do many of you enjoy trying to raise it?  For example, while achievement hunting I set goals.  My current goal is to reach 70,000 GamerScore before the PS4 and Xbox One launch. 

I never really had goals personally, just that i wanted to get platinum's for certain games.  Like I knew deep down that I loved the Uncharted games, and I convinced myself I would platinum them no matter what... and I did lol.  Thankfully they were fairly easy and bundles of fun!  Don't really care about the multiplayer modes or DLC or getting 100% though.

I suppose you could go after trophy levels if you wanted. B)

Edited by Dreakon139

I was reading through this post:  https://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/4153-what-is-the-highest-psn-trophy-level-of-your-friends-list/

...and I think I'm getting a good idea of why I may enjoy a new challenge with the PS3 and PS4 trophy system.  Shooting for a higher level, completion percentage, number of Plats, total number of trophies, plus psnprofiles sweet image of the latest game you've been playing on your main page.  November 15th cannot get here soon enough!