Trophy Thoughts

EmperorZetta

If you have a decent amount of shmup experience, this is a 4/10 difficulty and should take 8-10 hours.

This game is more akin to Gradius and R-Type than Touhou or Raiden, the screen is not covered in curtains of enemy fire and your hitbox is not a single pixel. The most challenging part is having to beat each level on Hard without dying - thankfully the game has level select, so you do not have to sit down and do an entire perfect run.

One of the better shmups that I've downloaded from PSN, I highly recommend it.

Edited by EmperorZetta
Clarifying that my rating was for difficulty, not quality of game
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I just got the platinum today & feel quite relieved. This type of shmup isn't a style I particularly like generally speaking but I didn't mind the game & thought it was really well made, especially considering it was made in Germany. The stages don't go on forever like some hori's, the enemies have a sensible amount of health, switching options to shoot behind you is a great feature & being able to slow down a couple of ways is a very welcome feature. Some people will like the 3D look as well although I personally found it horrible & thought it made certain things harder to see than they should have been but it's kind of a moot point since it's a memoriser anyway.

I could have done without stage 5 (did anyone actually go behind the boss ship at the end of the tunnel chase the first time? how the fuck is someone supposed to figure that out in the heat of the moment? cheap shit like that is why I don't like hori's that much) & the crash test trophy that just about forces you to stay towards the end of the screen while the crashers path finding tries to screw the player over at every turn but the rest of the game is pretty sweet.

At first I thought 4/10 was a bit of a cheeky difficulty rating but after I figured out you could move slowly with L2 things became a lot more manageable. Serves me right for skipping the tutorial. The way the trophies work can be very favourable & make the majority of the list nothing to be concerned about.

For the 'Mr Perfect' trophy you only have to beat stage 6 (boss included) with no damage & that counts as 'doing the entire main mission'. This also applies for beating hard mode & also for beating the game without using the energy attack. Therefore it's a great idea if you want an easy life to complete the game on easy difficulty first to unlock the level select then load up stage 6 a few times to grab those 'whole game' trophies. ?

Boss rush with no damage does have to be done all in one go & sure enough I had a run where I got to the last phase of the last boss & got hit because I didn't move to the right of the screen when the blob got big. 90% of the boss attacks are no dramas though & the remaining 10% are fine once you know they're coming. There's a video of boss rush on youtube that can potentially help so I'd search that out if needed. You really only have to memorise 5-6 minutes worth of gameplay so it's not that bad imo. 

The multiplier in arcade goes up by collecting green energy so that's a lot of holding R2. I had to retry the second & third levels due to getting Silver/B-ranks but the rest had more than enough points to go around. Only the points matter for rank so concentrate on the multiplier & don't worry if you miss some astronauts or get hit/die. The amount of bonus points you get from all that stuff is a pittance compared to taking out waves with a 128x multiplier.

The bullet eater trophy is only 300 bullets absorbed not 3000 & you can farm those in no time at all towards the end of the stage 5 boss (& it's probably quicker to fire up boss mode to get there).

Anyway, if you don't like traditional hori's this one won't change your mind but if you do then I'd say this is essential. Due to posting immediately after getting the plat & having the less desirable things fresh in my mind there's a bit of negativity in this post that came out which I won't be thinking about tomorrow. I'd ask people to pay that no mind. This really is a good game objectively speaking! I'll probably pick up & do the other stacks next time the game goes on sale. Should be a lot better of an experience after having learned the game inside-out. 

Edited by Drag-On-Detritus
  • Like 2