Barthandelus Fight

OnionHutt

I can't do it.  I've tried everything, but I can never beat him. Is there any way to take him out really fast before he can buff up his magic?

Which fight are you referring to? Chapter 9 (airship), 11 (Gran Pusle) or 13 (Cocoon)?

Edit:

After looking at your profile, I'm assuming it's the fight in chapter 9 on the airship. You must destroy the 2 upside down faces on his left and right side (4 in total) to reduce his resistances and defenses. Not to mention the faces won't be attacking you anymore. After that you can focus all your attention on Barthandelus. Try to buff your party with synergists and debuff him with saboteur. When he's going to do a powerfull attack (when his face opens up), switch to sentinels for defense and heal when needed with medics (can also be a paradigm of sentinel and medic). Try to use a 2 ravager and 1 commando combination to raise his staggerbar and when he's staggered, switch to a paradigm that has 2 commandos and 1 ravager. After that just rinse and repeat. Also note that the four faces will not regenerate when destroyed. The reason I recommend a 2 ravager/1 commando paragidm instead of 3 ravagers, is that the staggerbar will deplete much faster if there are only ravagers attacking it. Commando or saboteur attacks will cause the bar to deplete slower. It also helps to use a fortisol and agisol before you enter the room to give your party some buffs.

Edited by Dragon-Archon
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The Proudclad is the hardest boss. Not even the final boss is harder than him.

As for Barthandelus, eh... he's just a silly boss, i had a bad time with him on Oerba but again, The Proudclad is the hardest boss in the game.

Anyway, if i remember right i used RAV COM RAV against those... things beside his face and every time he was going to use a strong attack i'd change to a MED paradigm, like MED MED COM or MED MED SEN, i don't remember who you have at that part... Lightning's definitely there but if you have Vanille/Fang do use SAB a lot. I didn't at the time because i was a fucking noob. And if you have Hope/Sazh use SYN to buff your party. The 1st fight with him is the easiest of all Barthandelus battles.

By the way, each of those things beside his face has a weakness, so as soon as you start the fight be sure to use Librascope(is that the name of the thing?) so the AI will use the right spells against each... head... thing.

• Like 2

still don't understand how/why people have trouble with these fights ^_^

If you don't have the proper paradigms the battle can drag a lot. He is not a hard boss but the amount of time you can succesfully deal damage to him isvery limited. So you have to go in the fight with a concrete plan or just take a whole hour to beat him.

I really had trouble back in 2010 with him, believe or not it was the most frustrating boss fight ever. I even left my beloved XIII for a while because of him. But after I got the strategy even the 64 missions I did fine.

As for barthendules try to defuf him and cast as many power ups as synes on your party and keep in mind to protect with sentinels whenever he cast those stupid strong magics, rinse and repeat.

Edited by Marcelo