Mender Tender Trophy Problems

Lithium_Lemon

So, I know nobody really plays this game but I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience to me, and what they did to unlock this trophy. I have completed over 20 runs and put hundreds of items into the Mender Altar and never have received the cash reward. I don't know why this is the case... Anyone has some ideas? 

On 2/9/2021 at 2:34 PM, Lithium_Lemon said:

So, I know nobody really plays this game but I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience to me, and what they did to unlock this trophy. I have completed over 20 runs and put hundreds of items into the Mender Altar and never have received the cash reward. I don't know why this is the case... Anyone has some ideas? 

IIRC, I got him to cough up money by feeding him a diet health potion. Have you tried that? I can't remember if specific items give you specific rewards or not, or if you are just at the mercy of RNG to cooperate. Going off what we put in the guide, that's what worked for us. 

Just now, MrFitzes said:

This was the last of the three rewards for me to get as well.  It took a lot of donating to have him give up that money.  I think it really is bad RNG.  Just keep at it and it'll pop.  

I appreciate the input, thank you! I'll make a quick addendum to the guide in this regard. Unfortunately the RNG in this game is not extremely friendly overall!

I was finally able to unlock this trophy after 30-ish hours a week ago. I have a few theories that may surely be inaccurate. I believe the mender rewards may be tied to specific pieces of lore within the game, and that each player require a specific random piece of lore before they are able to receive the award. After obtaining all of the lore in the game I have received the cash reward not once, but about 4 times within a 5 hour period, after going 30+ hours dry. Either this, or the reward is tied to a specific item and you can only get the cash reward for one specific item at a time, as determined by the game. I had to use a Juice Cleanser to get the cash reward the first time around, which I do not believe I ever had put in the altar before, it was one of the only items left which I hadn't. Some I put in 20+ times each.  So my suggestion, if you cannot unlock this trophy, would be to unlock all lore and also try to use every different item in the game on the altar. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Lithium_Lemon said:

I was finally able to unlock this trophy after 30-ish hours a week ago. I have a few theories that may surely be inaccurate. I believe the mender rewards may be tied to specific pieces of lore within the game, and that each player require a specific random piece of lore before they are able to receive the award. After obtaining all of the lore in the game I have received the cash reward not once, but about 4 times within a 5 hour period, after going 30+ hours dry. Either this, or the reward is tied to a specific item and you can only get the cash reward for one specific item at a time, as determined by the game. I had to use a Juice Cleanser to get the cash reward the first time around, which I do not believe I ever had put in the altar before, it was one of the only items left which I hadn't. Some I put in 20+ times each.  So my suggestion, if you cannot unlock this trophy, would be to unlock all lore and also try to use every different item in the game on the altar. 

This sounds like a very viable solution to the matter. I thank you for the info! I am away from my computer but will be sure to update the guide with these findings ASAP ? 

• 2 months later...

After putting around 140 hours or so into the game, i'm afraid there really is no viable 'solution' as such.

Plenty of items in the game that you give to the trader, have a higher chance of giving you certain rewards of that same level of usefulness.

Put in an item that would be considered of higher value, and you'll either get around the same value back, or he'll spit lasers at you.

The lore has literally no effect on the items you receive from the trading altar.

The RNG is a massive bitch in this game, and there's also no seed reader, and no way to input seeds.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ancestral_Spirit said:

After putting around 140 hours or so into the game, i'm afraid there really is no viable 'solution' as such.

Plenty of items in the game that you give to the trader, have a higher chance of giving you certain rewards of that same level of usefulness.

Put in an item that would be considered of higher value, and you'll either get around the same value back, or he'll spit lasers at you.

The lore has literally no effect on the items you receive from the trading altar.

The RNG is a massive bitch in this game, and there's also no seed reader, and no way to input seeds.

It appears as tho RNGeezus is the only one who can give you what you need then. Thanks for the input bud... I plan to make another tweak to the guide Monday when I am at my computer. Congrats on your plat too btw!

While I appreciate everyone's theories on this one, it appears that they are just that: theories! Unfortunately enough it appears this is another situation where RNGeezus needs to bless you with what you need.

Edited by Joe Dubz
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Joe Dubz said:

It appears as tho RNGeezus is the only one who can give you what you need then. Thanks for the input bud... I plan to make another tweak to the guide Monday when I am at my computer. Congrats on your plat too btw!

While I appreciate everyone's theories on this one, it appears that they are just that: theories! Unfortunately enough it appears this is another situation where RNGeezus needs to bless you with what you need.

Sadly yes, and this game has no mercy when it comes to the RNG.

The longest trophy for me was doing all the tasks for the Cathode Raiders, specifically the following 3 missions:

Light the Fire

Find a bunker

Find the person missing in a cave.

Through my 140 hours or so of play time, find a bunker only appeared once and find the person missing in the cave appeared twice.

Light the fire appeared on multiple occasions, and even though i consistently put on the Yeet Lovers quirk, whenever Light the Fire would appear, the game would give me Armarang instead.

I left my De-Made run until last because i knew damn well that on my De-Made run at least 2 of those missions would appear and i'd have no way of doing Light the Fire on a De-Made run.

Someone did come up with an interesting way of trying to narrow down getting Light The Fire to appear. He mentioned that if you destroy the vombat nests before speaking to the quest giver you could at least eliminate that quest from appearing in the pool of quests. And further increase your chances by putting out the fire if the fire is lit initially.

10 hours ago, Ancestral_Spirit said:

The longest trophy for me was doing all the tasks for the Cathode Raiders...

Ya me too, I feel your pain there bud... The bunker one in particular took me close to 10 hours of playing after everything else was done! We were also at a disadvantage tho, as there was no guide at the time and I had to parse all the task info out by messaging the devs on Discord to figure out what I was missing.

10 hours ago, Ancestral_Spirit said:

Someone did come up with an interesting way of trying to narrow down getting Light The Fire to appear. He mentioned that if you destroy the vombat nests before speaking to the quest giver you could at least eliminate that quest from appearing in the pool of quests. And further increase your chances by putting out the fire if the fire is lit initially.

Yep we actually describe this method under the Tips and Strategies section of our guide... I realize that there is no mention of this in the actual trophy description, so I plan to edit this in tomorrow!

Edited by Joe Dubz
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Joe Dubz said:

Ya me too, I feel your pain there bud... The bunker one in particular took me close to 10 hours of playing after everything else was done!

That damned Bunker one!

I had finished everything else, and it took an additional 156 runs to get the bunker mission to spawn!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

That damned Bunker one!

I had finished everything else, and it took an additional 156 runs to get the bunker mission to spawn!

Geez what is it with that one?! I will say tho, even through the grind at the end, the game was fun and interesting enough to keep me playing til that plat popped!

Please don't let the grind scare anyone away, if you think the game looks interesting!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Joe Dubz said:

Geez what is it with that one?! I will say tho, even through the grind at the end, the game was fun and interesting enough to keep me playing til that plat popped!

Please don't let the grind scare anyone away, if you think the game looks interesting!

True that - it’s Doublefine and Rogue-Like - two great tastes that taste great together!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

True that - it’s Doublefine and Rogue-Like - two great tastes that taste great together!

You have quite the way with words Doc, couldn't have said it better myself!! ? 

But yeah, as soon as I get to my computer I will make some minor tweaks to the guide to keep things current ? I appreciate the input folks!

• Like 1

Rad was an odd beast for me for sure. It was one of those games that i kept going back to every now and again, and even though i was getting frustrated with it toward the end, i never........ hated the game really. I'm starting to wonder if maybe i just developed something akin to stockholme syndrome with this game, as after i'd finished it, i was a little reluctant to delete it  xD

If anyone else is thinking of starting the game, my advice would be that, as you get toward the end and getting your last few things done just have a few cracks at it a night, and defo put yourself a podcast or some music on to kill the boredom a little  :P 

And never give up, never surrender! You'll get that last task/item/mutation eventually, it just takes a lot of luck and a lot of time!

3 hours ago, Ancestral_Spirit said:

Rad was an odd beast for me for sure. It was one of those games that i kept going back to every now and again, and even though i was getting frustrated with it toward the end, i never........ hated the game really. I'm starting to wonder if maybe i just developed something akin to stockholme syndrome with this game, as after i'd finished it, i was a little reluctant to delete it  xD

Ha this literally had me cracking up, mostly because it sounds very accurate ?

Your advice sounds solid otherwise mate! Pop on some tunes, chillax, and say a few prayers to RNGeezus ?