Lucked out and got a ps5. Now i have a trophy related question

Hvalpen

Lucked out and got a ps5 in my tiny country. Now i got a question.

If i started a game on ps4 and earned trophies in it, and then pop that game into my ps5, will it restart the trophy list from 0% and show it as playing on ps5? Or will it continue to add to the existing trophy list, started on ps4? I assume its the latter, just want to be sure.

Depends on the game. 

PS4 game being played on a PS5 - same trophy list

PS5 "free upgrade" version of a PS4 game you already own - technically the PS5 version is a separate PS store item so has a fresh new trophy list. I have not come across any shared lists for PS4 games that have a free PS5 upgrade. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, StrickenBiged said:

Depends on the game. 

PS4 game being played on a PS5 - same trophy list

PS5 "free upgrade" version of a PS4 game you already own - technically the PS5 version is a separate PS store item so has a fresh new trophy list. I have not come across any shared lists for PS4 games that have a free PS5 upgrade. 

So as long as i dont do the free ugrades, im good?

As Stricken said, technically it depends on the version.

If you’re playing the PS4 version on your PS5 via backwards compatibility, the list will be the exact same list that was on PS4.. however you will lose progress towards trophies if you don’t transfer your save.

So for example, if a game requires you to kill 100 enemies for a trophy, and on PS4 you’ve killed 95. To unlock the trophy on PS5 you will need do kill 5 on PS5 *if you transferred your save*.. but you’ll need to do the entire 100 if you *didn’t transfer your save*.

There are also games that auto-pop trophies.

For example Rainbow Six Siege. So if you platinum the game on PS4, when you play it on PS5, every trophy will unlock as soon as you begin playing. 

Again as Stricken said, there are no shared lists as of yet. So all actual PS5 version have separate lists. So just ensure you are playing the version you are trying to get the trophies for.

15 minutes ago, Hvalpen said:

So as long as i dont do the free ugrades, im good?

You can do the free upgrades. They are different versions. 

You can have both the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 versions of the game installed on your PS5 at the exact same time. You just have to switch which version you’re playing earn trophies on the version you want them on.

Different games handle trophies differently between the two consoles.

so the best two examples I can use are dead by daylight and hitman 3, as I have both the PS4 and PS5 versions of both installed on my PS5.

So with dead by daylight if I play the PS5 version I only earn trophies for that version, and the same if I switch to the PS4 version. So if I get a trophy on the PS5 version, I have to do it again on PS4.

whereas hitman 3 syncs trophy data. So I can play the PS4 version, unlock two trophies, then when I play the PS5 version, those trophies unlock as soon as I hit the main menu.

It also works the other way, if I unlock a trophy on the PS5 version, it will auto-pop on the PS4 version when I boot it up.

It all depends on the game.. but you are good to get the free upgrades.. they won’t lock you out of anything. You can easily switch between the PS4 and PS5 versions of the game at any point.

So using Dead by daylight as an example again. I will usually aim to get a trophy on the PS5 version, then once I have the trophy. Close the game, boot up the PS4 version, and do it again.

Edited by GizMo_The_Great
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, GizMo_The_Great said:

As Stricken said, technically it depends on the version.

If you’re playing the PS4 version on your PS5 via backwards compatibility, the list will be the exact same list that was on PS4.. however you will lose progress towards trophies if you don’t transfer your save.

So for example, if a game requires you to kill 100 enemies for a trophy, and on PS4 you’ve killed 95. To unlock the trophy on PS5 you will need do kill 5 on PS5 *if you transferred your save*.. but you’ll need to do the entire 100 if you *didn’t transfer your save*.

There are also games that auto-pop trophies.

For example Rainbow Six Siege. So if you platinum the game on PS4, when you play it on PS5, every trophy will unlock as soon as you begin playing. 

Again as Stricken said, there are no shared lists as of yet. So all actual PS5 version have separate lists. So just ensure you are playing the version you are trying to get the trophies for.

You can do the free upgrades. They are different versions. 

You can have both the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 versions of the game installed on your PS5 at the exact same time. You just have to switch which version you’re playing earn trophies on the version you want them on.

Different games handle trophies differently between the two consoles.

so the best two examples I can use are dead by daylight and hitman 3, as I have both the PS4 and PS5 versions of both installed on my PS5.

So with dead by daylight if I play the PS5 version I only earn trophies for that version, and the same if I switch to the PS4 version. So if I get a trophy on the PS5 version, I have to do it again on PS4.

whereas hitman 3 syncs trophy data. So I can play the PS4 version, unlock two trophies, then when I play the PS5 version, those trophies unlock as soon as I hit the main menu.

It also works the other way, if I unlock a trophy on the PS5 version, it will auto-pop on the PS4 version when I boot it up.

It all depends on the game.. but you are good to get the free upgrades.. they won’t lock you out of anything. You can easily switch between the PS4 and PS5 versions of the game at any point.

So using Dead by daylight as an example again. I will usually aim to get a trophy on the PS5 version, then once I have the trophy. Close the game, boot up the PS4 version, and do it again.

So, when you say transfer save. Do you just mean pulling it from the cloud to my ps5 harddrive?

53 minutes ago, Hvalpen said:

So, when you say transfer save. Do you just mean pulling it from the cloud to my ps5 harddrive?

Yeah, (a) PS+ cloud saves; or

(b) USB transfer; or

(c) direct transfer from PS4 to PS5 (during PS5 setup if they are both connected to the same network). 

Make sure when you buy games (PSN, etc) sometimes it shows that if you buy the PS5 version, you get the PS4 version included for free. Each has their own set of trophy lists. I found this out when I bought the new Atelier Ryza game. And, I then saw it for other games- that there are two separate lists.