Microsoft's plan to buy Discord

DeepestTempest

On 28/03/2021 at 0:20 AM, AJ_Radio said:

It’s a sign of the times. 

It’s just getting pathetic at this point. 

All of the major corporations are hellbent on censorship. I have seen some pretty weird shit go on in Discord servers but I never delved beyond just glancing at it then moving on. 

After what happened to Boogie2988 I suspect every other YouTuber who has a big following is either going to get into serious trouble, or be slowly pushed away from the YouTube platform. 

It’s all about money and acquisitions, then making it so other companies can’t provide any means of competition. I have little doubt that The Elder Scrolls 6 is going to be a disaster waiting to happen. Such a 180 from how great Oblivion and Morrowind were, spent countless hours on those games on the PC. 

Discord I only use for trophy boosting. That’s my only reason. Everything else can die on it for all I care. 

Hi AJ. I used the PS App with my Bluetooth wireless headset and it worked flawlessly. I can see the appeal of Discord for PC players but in terms of it being a "forum" or whatever, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. Obviously the PS App has issues, it records the last five minutes and you can report conversations based on "harassment" or "violation of service" . Who knows to what extent anything is taken in context.

Re: Microsoft, one of the reasons I didn't reply to one of your previous posts was because my laptop died, which was a minor disaster. I have now "upgraded" to Windows 10 from Windows 7. The first thing I did was disable Cortana, keystroke logging (yes really) and anything else that phones home to Microsoft. 

Let me tell you a funny story. I LOVE hip hop. It's one of my favorite genres. From Grand Master Flash, NWA, Outkast, Wu Tang Clan, The Pharcyde, Roots, Roots Manuva, DJ Krush and on we go. Many of these artists have songs that contain the "N" word. If I type the "N" word, EVEN QUOTING A SONG OR CALLING A SONG BY IT'S NAME I can not only be banned from various platforms but MAYBE BANNED FROM USING MY OWN GODDAMN OPERATING SYSTEM! This is absolutely absurd, I could type, potentially in the PS4 messaging App, listen to NI**ERS With Attitude "Express Yourself" and get banned.

No word in any language should be taboo regardless of who is saying it. I read a book where 150 scientists were asked "What is Your Most Dangerous Idea?" and the most common response was "That ideas can be dangerous". I am not racist in the slightest, but apparently you can sing any song ever written but if you are huwite and say the"N" word in any context, you deserve to be banned from society, even if you are celebrating the people who wrote that tune as being geniuses. 

As I have previously noted on this site, a Mexican player got banned from PSN because his user ID contained the word "kike" in it, which is a Jewish slur, but is also a popular nickname in Mexico (pronounced keekay). 

Just as an example of how stupid it is to enforce Western/English speaking "values"  on the rest of the world, today Joe Biden got tens of thousands of replies on his Twitter by French speaking Muslims (I live in France currently so that's how I know). If virtually ANY of these things had been posted in English, all these people would have been banned FOR LIFE, but because Twitter's algorithms apparently don't "speak" French, they are all still up. On the plus side, I learned that "bald Messi" memes are a thing, which was hilarious.

AI/algorithmic policing of speech does not work and cannot work globally (currently, and hopefully never does).  

I discovered rumble.com the other day. I'm not anti-vaxx but I do have severe doubts about the new Covid vaccines. rumble.com doesn't censor content and works very well, unlike Bitchute that works on a peer to peer basis (like torrents) and makes videos unplayable where I live currently.

As for YouTube, I block all their ads and only watch a handful of channels. Normie YouTube is terrifying. I cannot believe that I live on the same planet as people who watch the garbage content that gets tens of millions of views. Watching YouTube without signing in is basically Dante's Inferno, Ninth Circle of Hell, on steroids.   

6 hours ago, pogo_loco said:

For better or worse, it's actually the objective of many start-ups (and their investors) to be acquired by a big company before they run out of incubation money.  

Nailed it. That's how Silicon Valley works. 

The problem is that NSA/CIA venture capital is also a factor. Hence Facebook, Twitter, and Google. Any "service" where everything is free means you are the product. Wasting money on spying on people when they could volunteer all the information you need themselves is a lose-lose. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, baboon_overlord said:

Hi AJ. I used the PS App with my Bluetooth wireless headset and it worked flawlessly. I can see the appeal of Discord for PC players but in terms of it being a "forum" or whatever, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. Obviously the PS App has issues, it records the last five minutes and you can report conversations based on "harassment" or "violation of service" . Who knows to what extent anything is taken in context.

Yes PS App is great for trophy boosting. Met a lot of great people in a Red Dead Redemption group, who finally helped me get all the online trophies. Met a couple good people who helped me with Assassin’s Creed Revelations as well. Now I need to get people for Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood and Black Flag. 

Sadly the PS App is heavily monitored and censored. Sony changed how Party Chats were handled in system update 8.00 on the PS4, so now your voice can be recorded and used against you for any harassment or swearing. 

Let me tell you a funny story. I LOVE hip hop. It's one of my favorite genres. From Grand Master Flash, NWA, Outkast, Wu Tang Clan, The Pharcyde, Roots, Roots Manuva, DJ Krush and on we go. Many of these artists have songs that contain the "N" word. If I type the "N" word, EVEN QUOTING A SONG OR CALLING A SONG BY IT'S NAME I can not only be banned from various platforms but MAYBE BANNED FROM USING MY OWN GODDAMN OPERATING SYSTEM! This is absolutely absurd, I could type, potentially in the PS4 messaging App, listen to NI**ERS With Attitude "Express Yourself" and get banned.

Believe me, I love the old guys. De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, 2Pac, Biggie Smalls, Big Daddy Kane, Kurtis Blow, Nas, DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince, Positive K, even a little MC Hammer. 

Kids now are absolute shit compared to Tupac Shakur, MC Lyte, Dr Dre and Ice Cube. Was very sad to see MF DOOM pass away, he was literally a breath of fresh air compared to most of the popular modern rappers. 

If you said even a quarter of the stuff 2Pac said over 20 years ago, you are liable to get people coming after you and charging you with a crime. The music videos too, at least the more recent ones, aren’t even worth watching. It’s always the same themes. 

MC Hammer, despite his image and gimmicky, knew how to actually dance. Today’s kids? They just know how to twerk. It’s on many modern rap videos and twerking makes me sick.

As for YouTube, I block all their ads and only watch a handful of channels. Normie YouTube is terrifying. I cannot believe that I live on the same planet as people who watch the garbage content that gets tens of millions of views. Watching YouTube without signing in is basically Dante's Inferno, Ninth Circle of Hell, on steroids.   

I stopped caring about the PewDiePie, Markaplier, Jenna Marbles type crap a long time ago. 

All garbage content. Shit that Lady Gaga and Justin Beiber make gets tens and hundreds of millions of views. 

Most of the channels I watch are smaller channels. I still watch some MetalJesusRocks, I’m still a fan of his. Same with AVGN (James Rolfe). 

The ads are intrusive and insufferable. Ever since Youtube forced those 30 second unskippable commercials on us I’ve gone to blocking them. Been doing that since around 2014.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Yes PS App is great for trophy boosting. Met a lot of great people in a Red Dead Redemption group, who finally helped me get all the online trophies. Met a couple good people who helped me with Assassin’s Creed Revelations as well. Now I need to get people for Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood and Black Flag. 

Sadly the PS App is heavily monitored and censored. Sony changed how Party Chats were handled in system update 8.00 on the PS4, so now your voice can be recorded and used against you for any harassment or swearing. 

Believe me, I love the old guys. De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, 2Pac, Biggie Smalls, Big Daddy Kane, Kurtis Blow, Nas, DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince, Positive K, even a little MC Hammer. 

Kids now are absolute shit compared to Tupac Shakur, MC Lyte, Dr Dre and Ice Cube. Was very sad to see MF DOOM pass away, he was literally a breath of fresh air compared to most of the popular modern rappers. 

If you said even a quarter of the stuff 2Pac said over 20 years ago, you are liable to get people coming after you and charging you with a crime. The music videos too, at least the more recent ones, aren’t even worth watching. It’s always the same themes. 

MC Hammer, despite his image and gimmicky, knew how to actually dance. Today’s kids? They just know how to twerk. It’s on many modern rap videos and twerking makes me sick.

I stopped caring about the PewDiePie, Markaplier, Jenna Marbles type crap a long time ago. 

All garbage content. Shit that Lady Gaga and Justin Beiber make gets tens and hundreds of millions of views. 

Most of the channels I watch are smaller channels. I still watch some MetalJesusRocks, I’m still a fan of his. Same with AVGN (James Rolfe). 

The ads are intrusive and insufferable. Ever since Youtube forced those 30 second unskippable commercials on us I’ve gone to blocking them. Been doing that since around 2014.

You named some good stuff in there as well, glad to know another hip hop aficionado. ☺️ I've been lucky enough to see a lotof the acts I named live. The Roots live are magical. I would urge you to check out DJ Krush - he's probably the best hip hop/turntablist  DJ who has ever lived. Enjoy - 

(BTW he mixes everything live on 2/3 turntables on this album. It's ridiculous!) 

28 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Pretty much done with YT to be honest. Either you get bored of people's voices/personalities or they get banned. Gaming wise, I pretty much only watch Yong Yea, Upper Echelon, 21Kiloton and SkillUp now (although I do have major questions about Skill Ups integrity, even though his reviews are extremely slick).