The Future of PS3 Physical Games

KL_Archive_One

I don't currently own a PS3 but am thinking of buying one.  Also I am writing off the PS3 digital store at this point.  PS3 will be a physical media console for me.

Having said that.

What is the current expected outcome of being able to unlock trophies on physical PS3 games in the future?  Is this likely to disappear into the ether?

5 minutes ago, TokyoHome said:

Is this likely to disappear into the ether?

The ability to update games is currently wonky for lots of people, but at some point (5 years?) the PS3 will be completely useless for earning trophies. If you haven't already grabbed a PS3 by now, I feel you're better off without it.

Hopefully, PS Now will stock up on all the missing games (couple thousand?) to make up for the PS3 fiasco and you have the option to enjoy those games through a newer console.

19 minutes ago, TokyoHome said:

What is the current expected outcome of being able to unlock trophies on physical PS3 games in the future?  Is this likely to disappear into the ether?

I’m going to go ahead and make another bold claim:

The PS3 will always be able to unlock trophies for physical games. 

It just won’t always sync to PSN.

While maintaining a small amount of trophy data and a time sync between PS3s and PSN should only require a minimal amount of maintenance, I have no hope that Sony will continue that indefinitely. 

And when that happens, you can still pop in a game, play and earn trophies, but you’ll only be able to see them offline. 

• Like 2

Honestly there's no definitive answer, but there's a possibility it could eventually happen. I'd say prepare for the worst and do everything you want to do on the PS3 (and Vita) sooner rather than later. It could very well be that Sony is planning on shutting down everything for the PS3 and Vita and are only doing it in pieces to soften the blow. Right now the closure of the PS store is on the horizon, next it could be shutting down trophy syncing, downloading patches, or even downloading past purchases in the next few years.

If you're going to get a PS3, do it now. Also consider picking up any digital only games or DLC for games you want to complete. Some games and DLC were never released on disc.

• Like 1