Tips and tricks for Hardcore!

ARH65512

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2021 at 10:37 AM, GoraxDeReus said:

You don't need to beat any boss except the final one. 

When you have everything collected in the level you can return to the starting portal, which brings you back to the hub.

This can save you a lot of trouble.

I noticed this as well.  If you do the platinum in 2 runs by saving hardcore for a 2nd run, you can just skip all the objectives and boss fights that aren't required to obtain a stage key or feather/talisman for primagen keys except for the first stage objectives.  You can just abuse the quick warp feature of the checkpoint portals to go back to the hub or other worlds so it is not necessary to do any objectives that are out of the way.  The reason you have to do the objectives in the first stage is because you can't unlock the hub warp point without visiting it once and to do that you have to complete the mission objectives in the first stage to actually exit to the hub.

You can save anywhere so hardcore is not overly difficult with save scumming and making liberal use of respawning ammo/health locations.  Mostly only stage 1 and stage 2 are difficult.  Stage 1 does not give any useful weapons and the enemy HP increase is absolutely insane on hardcore so if you do not get headshots the enemies are just enormous damage sponges (It took about 8 shots to the body with normal arrows to kill an enemy).  Always aim for the head on this difficulty unless you are using explosive weapons or ammo which don't have the headshot damage bonus.  Stage 2 is only difficult because the stage's pacing is bad.  The stage is extremely long, the distance between checkpoint 3 and 4 is basically 70% of the stage and there is just NO ammo on this stage.  I pretty much ran out and had nothing but pistol and shotgun prior to reaching the 4th checkpoint despite having all the weapons from stage 3 and 5 before I did it.

I mainly used explosive shredder, charge dart + headshot with either mag 60/standard shotgun, plasma rifle in sniper mode, cerebral bore, scorpion launcher and flamethrower for small spiders/mites etc for the majority of the run.  The big drones with the gun arms in Primagen's Lightship are really easy to dispatch with charge dart + cerebral bore combo, 2 rounds from the explosive shredder or a headshot with the plasma rifle in sniper mode.  You can fully refill health and ammo in the center room after clearing each wing so I personally found it the easiest stage to clear.  There is also no reason to bother building the nuke if you don't want to.  I assembled the nuke on my run but really only used it on the final boss's flying drones and even there it isn't that important.  Can easily dispatch the flying drones with the explosive shredder and just pick up more explosive shotgun ammo during the fight.  Doing the false portals with the oblivion enemies can be useful if you just want to grab the respawning health/ammo though.  All of them are easy just using explosive shredder/scorpion missile launcher and grabbing more ammo at a respawning ammo point within the portal.

Lair of the Blind Ones is not that bad either, just make sure to save often because the guys with the crossbow do like 36 damage per shot so its almost always an instant reload if one of them hits you.  However, most of the rooms are pretty wide open in this stage and you can easily snipe most enemies with plasma rifle or hit them with the charge dart before they can do much to you. The giant spiders are incredible damage sponges so I just used the scorpion rocket launcher on them since it takes 3 direct hits to kill them with that.  Turning the brightness up on this remaster also makes it a lot easier than I remember it being on the N64 version since you can actually see everything.  The stage also isn't near as long as people make it out to be.  Stage 2 and 5 are much longer stages and were pretty tedious to get through.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...