How difficult is DMD?

I recently platinumed DMC1 and DMD on that game seriously tested me. Looking at the guides, the DMC3 guide listed it as 6/10 compared to DMC1's 8/10 in terms of difficulty. From my initial (normal) playthrough of DMC3, I would have assumed DMD in this game would be harder, especially the final Vergil fight. Could anyone with both platinums give me their opinions on DMD in these games and which is the more difficult platinum? 

Regardless, I will at least give it a try and see how far I can get ?

• Like 1

When you beat Very Hard you get the Super Dante costume which lets you have unlimited Devil Trigger, so that can help make the fights easier although keep in mind the damage isn't healed when using the Super Dante costume. Otherwise DMD in this is more or less the enemies are damage sponges that can take a lot of health off you but you can farm for items by replaying Mission 20 over and over on Normal or Easy.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Redgrave said:

When you beat Very Hard you get the Super Dante costume which lets you have unlimited Devil Trigger, so that can help make the fights easier although keep in mind the damage isn't healed when using the Super Dante costume. Otherwise DMD in this is more or less the enemies are damage sponges that can take a lot of health off you but you can farm for items by replaying Mission 20 over and over on Normal or Easy.

Thanks for the tips! I will keep it in mind when I get around to trying DMD. I'll definitely farm more for items, not grinding for items definitely made my DMC1 DMD playthrough harder than it needed to be. 

6 minutes ago, ObliviousSenpai said:

I definitely found DMC1 to be harder to platinum particularly because of the final Nelo Angelo and Mundus fight. Completing DMC3 on DMD was much easier for me because you can use Vergil to do it. For me, he's a lot easier to use than Dante.

Yes those two fights, in particular, caused me problems also. Maybe I'll try using Vergil on my hard playthrough to see if he clicks with me more too. 

• Like 1

General consensus seems to be that DMC3 is easier to platinum than DMC1, but for me personally it feels a bit harder overall.

I haven’t finished DMC3 yet but the last time I picked it up I was about halfway through DMD difficulty and it’s pretty tough! I think it’s maybe a little bit tougher than DMC1, as the mobs are more difficult in general, and because there is just so many bloody bosses! DMC3 has a boss fight like every other mission. And then it has mission 18 which is really challenging because of the chessboard fight and the subsequent boss rush.

I’m also really, really dreading Vergil 3 on DMD. I think he’s one of the toughest bosses I’ve ever faced in any game, period. He whooped my ass even on normal difficulty lmao. He moves lightning quick and his spam of devil trigger on higher difficulties feels super cheap as it seems to be unlimited and lasts unusually long. You’ll have a really decent cycle and take off a big chunk off his health, only for him to recover it back again in seconds. And unlike you, he seems to have very little recovery time in between his DTs. He often DTs back to back.

DMC3 also requires you to S-rank every mission. I’m not sure if this is as challenging as it seems, but based on the fact I’ve only managed to S-rank a few levels naturally in all my playthroughs so far, I am guessing that even on a lower difficulty that this trophy is going to be a pain and will require playing through most missions many times over to perfect.

Good luck with your playthrough! This is an impressive platinum for sure. The rarity really does not do it justice. I hope to finish & add it to my collection one of these days. 

39 minutes ago, ObliviousSenpai said:

I definitely found DMC1 to be harder to platinum particularly because of the final Nelo Angelo and Mundus fight. Completing DMC3 on DMD was much easier for me because you can use Vergil to do it. For me, he's a lot easier to use than Dante.

In order to use Vergil for DMD, do you have to beat every prior difficulty level with him? Or can you get up to DMD using Dante and then select Vergil for DMD?

I found Vergil to basically be easy mode as well so if there’s an option to use him for DMD that would be sick.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

In order to use Vergil for DMD, do you have to beat every prior difficulty level with him? Or can you get up to DMD using Dante and then select Vergil for DMD?

I found Vergil to basically be easy mode as well so if there’s an option to use him for DMD that would be sick.

I believe you can get up to DMD with Dante and then use Vergil, but make sure not to overwrite your save. If I remember correctly, I had done that and was forced to clear every difficulty again with Vergil to access DMD with him. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

General consensus seems to be that DMC3 is easier to platinum than DMC1, but for me personally it feels a bit harder overall.

I haven’t finished DMC3 yet but the last time I picked it up I was about halfway through DMD difficulty and it’s pretty tough! I think it’s maybe a little bit tougher than DMC1, as the mobs are more difficult in general, and because there is just so many bloody bosses! DMC3 has a boss fight like every other mission. And then it has mission 18 which is really challenging because of the chessboard fight and the subsequent boss rush.

I’m also really, really dreading Vergil 3 on DMD. I think he’s one of the toughest bosses I’ve ever faced in any game, period. He whooped my ass even on normal difficulty lmao. He moves lightning quick and his spam of devil trigger on higher difficulties feels super cheap as it seems to be unlimited and lasts unusually long. You’ll have a really decent cycle and take off a big chunk off his health, only for him to recover it back again in seconds. And unlike you, he seems to have very little recovery time in between his DTs. He often DTs back to back.

DMC3 also requires you to S-rank every mission. I’m not sure if this is as challenging as it seems, but based on the fact I’ve only managed to S-rank a few levels naturally in all my playthroughs so far, I am guessing that even on a lower difficulty that this trophy is going to be a pain and will require playing through most missions many times over to perfect.

Good luck with your playthrough! This is an impressive platinum for sure. The rarity really does not do it justice. I hope to finish & add it to my collection one of these days. 

From my experience on normal difficulty and also getting destroyed by Vergil 3 even on that difficulty, I can't imagine how challenging he would be on DMD. It does seem harder, but maybe super dante or playing as Vergil might offset some of that difficulty. 

As for the chessboard fight and the boss rush, I completely forgot about those when factoring it into the difficulty ? From what I remember, I believe focusing on the King in the chessboard fight ends the fight prematurely? (Kind of like real chess?) 

If the S-ranks work like the Wonderful 101 Platinum ranks, it shouldn't be too bad. Playing through DMD then going back to normal, without having to worry about collectables, using items etc, time shouldn't be too much of an issue in most missions. It's just focusing on style points. After DMD on DMC1 I went back to normal and got a surprising amount of S ranks first try. So it might take a couple of retries for certain missions with stricter requirements. 

Good luck with your playthrough as well! I also thought the rarity was surprisingly high for how difficult it seems, kind of like with the Souls games ?

Very manageable, you get a pseudo super Vergil after completing very hard, you can also use items, and, well, Vergil stomps everything.

Do normal run with Dante (yellow orb) then start with Hard Gold Vergil, and continue there ‘till you reach DMD, Dante is better suited for HaH, due to his mobility, and you can farm mission 18 for style points.

Edited by scemopagliaccioh
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

Very manageable, you get a pseudo super Vergil after completing very hard, you can also use items, and, well, Vergil stomps everything.

Do normal run with Dante (yellow orb) then start with Hard Gold Vergil, and continue there ‘till you reach DMD, Dante is better suited for HaH, due to his mobility, and you can farm mission 18 for style points.

I'm going to keep these tips in mind, thank you! ? I'll get around to starting the DMC3 platinum soon. Need a little downtime after DMD on DMC1 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, KurtisNash said:

From my experience on normal difficulty and also getting destroyed by Vergil 3 even on that difficulty, I can't imagine how challenging he would be on DMD. It does seem harder, but maybe super dante or playing as Vergil might offset some of that difficulty. 

As for the chessboard fight and the boss rush, I completely forgot about those when factoring it into the difficulty 1f62c.png From what I remember, I believe focusing on the King in the chessboard fight ends the fight prematurely? (Kind of like real chess?) 

If the S-ranks work like the Wonderful 101 Platinum ranks, it shouldn't be too bad. Playing through DMD then going back to normal, without having to worry about collectables, using items etc, time shouldn't be too much of an issue in most missions. It's just focusing on style points. After DMD on DMC1 I went back to normal and got a surprising amount of S ranks first try. So it might take a couple of retries for certain missions with stricter requirements. 

Good luck with your playthrough as well! I also thought the rarity was surprisingly high for how difficult it seems, kind of like with the Souls games 1f605.png

So far the Super Dante costume hasn’t been as useful as I thought it would be, mainly because it doesn’t recover health like normal DT does, and I find this makes a huge difference on DMD! I need my health!

I had no idea you could use Vergil for DMD though - I am quite excited to try this! I’ve only done one Vergil run so far but his move set is amazing and his ranged attack is insanely OP. For some reason I was under the impression that difficulty unlocks were tied to the character you unlocked them on, so I thought I was stuck with Dante for DMD. Based on the replies in this thread it sounds like that is not the case! I might actually consider starting over with Vergil because it would make some of those later missions so much easier.

As for the S-ranks, they’re probably not too bad. I believe adequate style points can be achieved on lower difficulties much easier than some of the other DMC games, so it’s more a matter of speed and avoiding getting hit. For me, the mobs usually pose little problem, it’s mainly the bosses I’m worried about as I find it very challenging to avoid taking damage in any of those fights.

I think that trophy is just more of a pain than anything - by the time you factor in the time it likely takes to repeat each mission several times, it’s like adding several more full playthroughs of the game on to your time to platinum. This game is definitely much longer than DMC1 and will require many more playthroughs.

• Like 1