Speed Run Question

40 minutes ago, FeelTheCosmos said:

And yes, speed runners are a rare breed, most will do whatever is allowable within the rules to bring their time as close to the theoretical minimum as possible.  If I remember correctly, the top 10 Super Mario runs are within about 50 frames (<2 seconds) of each other.  One minute times could become a thing for certain games, and there would be folks finding ways to get that to 59 seconds.  Personally I'm not that obsessed, I just want to put my own best time up there and move on.  But I do want to make sure that my best time is within the rules, of course.

I feel like with PS4 to PS5 autopopping, speedrun leaderboards are woefully outdated, or at least not representative of their implied purpose. Who is the fastest genuine achiever of the Spiderman Remastered or Destiny 2 platinums? If you wanted to actually compete for those you have to play the PS4 versions, and that's not really fair or the point. And that's not even touching on the elephant in that discussion that is people using dumbie accounts to practice before going for it on a main account, which is obviously still legitimate as far as accomplishing the goal is concerned but leads to possible bad faith postings about how much experience you had, which leads directly to Alayaes's point.

50 minutes ago, Alayaes said:

Speedruns kind of become a herpaderp when they’re not officially witnessed because you can never fully establish the boundaries.

Speedrun.com and other archives require video evidence or even live twitch videos for proof. the "Fastest Achievers" leaderboard ain't really it chief.

16 minutes ago, PMDStrandbeest said:

I feel like with PS4 to PS5 autopopping, speedrun leaderboards are woefully outdated, or at least not representative of their implied purpose.

16 minutes ago, PMDStrandbeest said:

Speedrun.com and other archives require video evidence or even live twitch videos for proof. the "Fastest Achievers" leaderboard ain't really it chief.

I feel like you kind of answered your own point there. The "Fastest Achiever" isn't really a speedrun leaderboard, it's just a measurement between first and last trophy pops. They're two different things.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

I feel like you kind of answered your own point there. The "Fastest Achiever" isn't really a speedrun leaderboard, it's just a measurement between first and last trophy pops. They're two different things.

Thank you!!!! This is what I've been trying to say ever since I started doing these in 2014!  I finally had to default to the term "speed run" since it's the only way people understood what I was talking about, but that's really not what it is.  It's just another form of art where you create a unique play style for a game based on an arbitrary set of rules and try to master it.  It does require some skill in playing, but I most enjoy the skill that's required in planning.  I mean, look at this one: I probably won't do this until at least next year (along with the other 7 lists of ME, that's why I'm interested in this one).  But I'm already putting a schedule together and clarifying what can and can't be done.

What I do isn't speed running and I've never asked for praise, posted videos or even talked about it until recently (because events of the past year have taught me it's important to speak about what you're passionate about), and the only validation I seek is that PsnP doesn't flag me for cheating.  That's all:  I've been reported a bunch, flagged a few times, and had them all lifted because of good planning.

I do apologize if this type of play style causes concerns for the rule makers, but I'd like to think at least that the end result is better rules, a better site and a better community.   If not, maybe I'll try to get some 1 second platties over on Xbox :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FeelTheCosmos said:

It's just another form of art where you create a unique play style for a game based on an arbitrary set of rules and try to master it.  It does require some skill in playing, but I most enjoy the skill that's required in planning

I think it would legitimize and get more people to follow what you do if you lay some ground rules (in writing) about what you do when you pursue the Fastest Achiever for a game and specifically lay out how your guidelines coincide, rather than contradict current leaderboard rules. The more clearly you define what is and isn't allowed as you pursue a Fastest Achiever record, the easier it will be to point someone accusing you of breaking leaderboard rules to them for clarity.

6 minutes ago, FeelTheCosmos said:

I do apologize if this type of play style causes concerns for the rule makers

Clarifying this "play style" is the best way to alleviate as many concerns as possible.

Thanks for the advice, but I'm not sure I understand any of it.  I said I'm not interested in people following me (I don't even have a YouTube account) and my ground rules are literally the current leaderboard rules.  I posted this thread to clarify if what I wanted to do was within those rules, especially since this particular exploit is being used widely right now for another thing and may require the rules to be updated.  There's no clarifying to be done, the rules are set and my (I should say our, there are others) goal is just to hit the best time within those rules.  I'm fine with getting flagged as well, as you well know I pretty much have the dispute threads open all day at this point.  Sometimes looking foolish, hopefully sometimes making good contributions lol.

5 minutes ago, FeelTheCosmos said:

I said I'm not interested in people following me (I don't even have a YouTube account) and my ground rules are literally the current leaderboard rules.  I posted this thread to clarify if what I wanted to do was within those rules

In "follow" I meant understand you, not in the social media follow sense. The fact that you said you wanted to clarify what you wanted to do is why I made my comment. Following you would just mean when you say earn the fastest achiever, they would understand you don't mean speedrun.

You said you had to plan as you bolded it above. Whatever it is you plan, it probably isn't just firing up a game and playing it straight through, so that's the clarity that would help. If you don't want to, you don't have to, clearly.

9 minutes ago, FeelTheCosmos said:

as you well know I pretty much have the dispute threads open all day at this point.  Sometimes looking foolish

It would help if you didn't post predictions on how the Cheater Removers will decide the disputes. The Cheater Removers are the only ones that should speak on their behalf and it sends a confusing message to disputers who have never been in the forums before when they don't know who these people are that are commenting on the dispute they didn't know was going to get posted in the forums for everyone to read and comment on.

10 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

It would help if you didn't post predictions on how the Cheater Removers will decide the disputes. 

Noted.  Whenever I do that I'm usually wrong anyway, so it just ends up with me laughing at my own expense.  There's always more going on than an average member would know, but I don't mind being wrong as long as I'm not a jerk about it.  You can always delete any comment if it's inappropriate, you have that moderator title for a good reason.  I don't mind, like some others out there, I know I talk too much anyway.

11 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

In "follow" I meant understand you, not in the social media follow sense.

Also noted.  Mostly just talking with family and friends about it, I'm really not trying to gain notoriety even on here.  I even do all my "FastestAchiever" runs on alts, just so I can enjoy the anonymity for the most part.

Anyway, thanks as always for your input, I'll try to use it to be a better contributor here.  If there's any more discussion to be had on topic, I'll check it out tomorrow!