ParkestNight's Starkest Lights

ParkestNight

Platinum #125 - The Raven Remastered

L4c4e98.png (320×176)

This is the PS4 remaster of the PS3 version I've already written about here. It popped up on PS Now, so I figured why not - it looks and plays slightly better than the original version.

Platinum #126 - BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle

L8cfdce.png (320×176)

I don't recall the story at all, but through some multi-universal crossover event, characters from the worlds of BlazBluePersona 4 ArenaUnder Night In-Birth, and RWBY duke it out in this 2D fighting game. I'm only slightly familiar with the Under Night In-Birth characters, so the significance of this mashup may have been somewhat lost on me. In any case, it's not a long Platinum at all, though I had a friend to play it with. I'd imagine the price for the game + its DLCs have since decreased, so I'd recommend it if there's a nice discount on a complete bundle.

Platinum #127 - Mafia III: Definitive Edition

L152065.png (320×176)

By now, I've played all three Mafia games, but this one was my first. Of the three, it is my least favourite, but only because it is an artificially larger game achieved by adding too many repetitive tasks.

Story:

In 1968, Lincoln Clay returns to New Bordeaux a veteran of the Vietnam War. He is welcomed home by his surrogate father and brother, Sammy (leader of the black mob) and Ellis. In the coming days, Lincoln agrees to join the two on a heist with their friends Danny Burke and Giorgi Marcano, sons of the boss of the Irish mob and Sal Marcano, respectively. The heist is successful, but the Marcanos betray everyone; Sammy, Ellis, and Danny are killed. Lincoln is thought dead and left to die, but miraculously survives - Giorgi's bullet failed to penetrate his skull. After his recovery, Lincoln vows revenge on the Marcano family and recruits allies and plots to disassemble Marcano's racket one operation at a time - until he can finally put down Giorgi and Sal Marcano.

The dev team wanted to create a realistic world, which meant replicating the attitude of the 60s (though to be fair, they do warn you before the opening title). That said, Lincoln (as a black character) isn't treated all that well by certain groups, so be prepared to hear some not-so-nice words directed at Lincoln and members of his community.

Gameplay / Graphics

In Mafia III, there is a bit more emphasis on stealth than in the previous game. As a CIA-trained veteran of the Vietnam War, Lincoln can perform brutal executions with his many available weapons, whether it's a shotgun to the face or a knife in the eye. You can also run in guns blazing and take cover behind objects if you wish.

You can steal cars and customize them. A "perk" of the game is its driving system - you may be reported for something as mild as running a red light, minor collisions, etc. to assault and straight-up murder. Like in Saints Row titles, you can take over districts and businesses to strengthen your hold over the city while diminishing the Marcanos' influence. The act of doing so is somewhat tedious, since there are so many districts, so I'd space these out as much as possible.

I also encountered quite a few bugs/glitches in this game, nothing game-breaking or that frequent; however, it did occur enough times to be of note, whether through awful chugging (and crashes) to odd animations and clipping through objects (or the ground). The loading times weren't great, either.

Music / VA:

In true Mafia fashion, the VA is top-notch. I can't say the same for the music, though.

DLCs:

When this game was given as a PS+ offering, it was just the base game. Since then, 2K bundled the updated the game with to include all previously released DLCs for owners (even via PS+), so anyone who added this game to their library at that time should have the complete package. In any case, all three DLCs add a few story missions and items (weapons, outfits, gear, etc.), and are pretty straightforward trophy-wise - it's more of the same.

Tricky Trophies:

There are a few missable trophies, but thankfully most of them are fine so long as you're looking out for them. You will have to complete at least 1.5 playthroughs for trophies regarding killing or sparing racket informants / bosses and (failing) to earn your Underbosses' loyalty.

Conclusion:

This game was given via PS+ and is also on PS Now; however, I'd avoid any bundles including Mafia II Remastered since I hear the remaster was a hack job. Again, I don't think Mafia III: Definitive Edition is a bad game, but I'd easily recommend Mafia: Definitive Edition and Mafia II (PS3) over it.

• Like 3

Platinum #128 - Darksiders II: Deathinitive Edition

L74f06c.png (320×176)

I like the original Darksiders a bit more than this game, but it is still enjoyable!

Story:

While War is imprisoned under suspicion of provoking the events of the first game, Death (the oldest of the Four Horsemen) volunteers to prove his brother's innocence to the Charred Council, restoring humanity in the process.

This game is nearly a prequel, as most of its events occur before (or during) those of the first game.

Gameplay / Graphics

Darksiders II takes more of an RPG approach to its gameplay (including levels, stats, and skill trees) compared to the pure hack-and-slash style of the first game, but otherwise remains relatively unchanged. Death has a variety of weapons and gear available to him. Death's greatest weapon is his true form, the Grim Reaper form, in which he is stronger in both offence and defence.

Since the game also includes some semi-open world maps, Death can ride his horse Despair to travel. Otherwise, he can fast travel between worlds. In between, Death will need to solve small puzzles to progress.

This game retains the fantastical, slightly cartoonish art style, which I like. For the most part, I had no issues with performance.

Music / VA:

The music and VA were equally good, both set clear tones for any given scene.

DLCs:

The Deathinitive Edition includes all previously-released DLCs; while they include some story missions, none add trophies, so you take it or leave it without repercussions.

Tricky Trophies:

You can tackle the DEATHINITIVE difficulty on NG+, so it's not too bad. Otherwise, just look out for the missable collectibles.

Conclusion:

If you're interested, you're in luck; this game was part of a PlayStation-Humble Bundle deal, PS+, and PS Now. If you've managed to dodge all of those, the game is on sale for $5 or less every now and then.

• Like 2

Platinum #129 - The Silver Case HD

L89581b.png (320×176)

The Silver Case HD is the remaster of the original 1999 PlayStation release. In this visual novel, a series of unusual murders occur; however, a preliminary investigation appears to indicate the culprit is a now-deceased serial killer. As a detective, you must solve these murders in the 24th Ward.

Platinum #130 - Flipping Death

L7a8220.png (320×176)

Penny is a young woman who dies, but the Grim Reaper happens to be on vacation. Until his return, Penny takes over his duties, including helping lost spirits, and possessing people and objects in the living world. Slowly, Penny learns about how she died and the strange circumstance in which she now finds herself. Flipping Death tangentially reminds me of Guacamelee! only in the sense that it is a 2D game where the player character can traverse between the land of the dead and living.

Platinum #131 - Destiny 2

Lea96d2.png (320×176)

A PS+ offering that eventually became a free-to-play game - being a PS+ subscriber sometimes feels like a joke, no? That being said, I do rather enjoy Destiny 2, playing it on-again-off-again as my main non-trophy hunting game.

Story:

You are a Guardian of the Last City, your Light derives from a large sphere known as The Traveler. The Light gives you access to great powers, and your Ghost can revive you from death, granting near-immortality; however, all the Guardians lose their Light when a race of militant reptilians known as the Cabal trap the Traveler. Their leader, Dominus Ghaul, wants the Light for himself, and destroys the Tower in the process. You survive the invasion and escape, rendezvousing with other survivors to devise a plan to free The Traveler and take back the Light.

The above is the base campaign story, others have been added via DLC and Season Passes.

Gameplay / Graphics

Destiny 2 is an always-online FPS game (so you must be a PS+ member).

Your Guardian can be one of three races (Awoken, Exo, and Human) and one of three classes (Titan, Warlock, and Hunter). You are allowed three characters per account, so you may as well try all of them. Each classes have their strengths - for example, Hunters can quickly enter and leave the fray, Warlocks can conjure rifts that boost your attack or heal damage, and Titans can punch real good. There are many planets and alien enemy types to face.

Grinding is the name of the game - your Guardian has five armour slots (head, arms, chest, legs, and class item) and three weapon slots (primary, energy, and Power). The armours with the highest stat rolls will come in activities that reward Powerful or Pinnacle items (from weekly / daily bounties) - basically, it comes down to RNG with your total stat roll and distributions. Activities include Crucible (PvP), Stirkes (team-based short form PvE), Gambit (team vs. team vs. everyone), Raids (team-based long form PvE), and a seasonal activity or two - there's a lot to do, if you so choose.

The game is very pretty at times, but if you are on PS4 (like me), then loading times can be excruciating.

Music / VA:

Both the music and VA are really good, I have no complaints.

DLCs:

There's a lot of these - one season usually lasts about 3-4 months, and one major story expansion is added about once a year. There is also an online store called The Eververse where you can buy cosmetic items with real money, so be warned.

Tricky Trophies:

Content is implemented and removed from the game every now and then, and trophy requirements have changed about two or three times since the game's release.

Conclusion:

Destiny 2 is the only online multiplayer game I play (only every now and again, but still), so I'm rather happy to have earned the Platinum for this game (I had to LFG to complete a Raid and whatnot). If you care only about trophies, know that it can be a considerable time sink.

Platinum #132 - 428: Shibuya Scramble

L641fad.png (320×176)

Holy moly, a visual novel I actually remember! 428: Shibuya Scramble was originally released for the Wii in 2008 (and only in Japan, I believe), but this remaster was released ten years later for the PS4!

Story:

The story kicks off with what appears to be a simple kidnap and ransom case, but you quickly find out that the consequences could affect nations. Over the ten hours the story takes place, you choose the actions of five main characters; they include a scientist, a former gang leader, a detective, a writer/reporter, and a mysterious figure in a mascot costume.

While the main plot is a crime thriller, each the genre of each character differs. For example, the detective's story is a procedural drama, and the mascot's is a comedy.

Gameplay / Graphics

428: Shibuya Scramble is a little different in that it not only offers branching paths, but the choice of one character can change the available paths of another character. Through this system, you must navigate the "true" ending to the game (though there are also bad/joke endings in each timeslot). Surprisingly, I enjoyed experiencing each branch and possibilities, though finding the last few I was missing felt a bit tedious.

Another cool aspect of the game is the settings and characters are mostly live-action, which I don't think I've seen in a visual novel before or since.

Music / VA:

Apparently this game has voice acting, but I think this is around when I regularly starting listening to music (or Netflix, etc.) instead of game sound. As such, I can't comment on music or VA.

From here on out, I'll simply omit the Music / VA category if this was the case.

Conclusion:

While I can't claim to be a visual novel afficionado, 428: Shibuya Scramble felt unique and I enjoyed my time with it. Physical copies seem hard to find (and are expensive as a result), so I'd wait for a sale on the PSN Store to purchase this game. While I do recommend this game, you should try the demo first if you have any reservations.

Platinum #133 - 2064: Read Only Memories

Lb24996.png (320×176)

I had the pleasure of playing this game when it was given as a PS+ offering!

Story:

One day in the far future, Turing (a robot that can learn emotions) breaks into the home of the player character. Turing reveals that his creator Hayden has been kidnapped and enlists your help to find him.

You can make choices in this game that will affect the ending of the story. I didn't initially expect anything from 2064, but some of the characters have some emotional moments, and the game has some heart.

Gameplay / Graphics

As I mentioned earlier, this point-and-click game will be affected by your choices (for example, the "bad karma" paths were actually kind of soul-crushing). You can make friends or foes of certain characters, and the dialogue varies quite a bit depending on whether or not you are a jerk.

The art style is beautiful, though the controls were somewhat clunky at times.

Tricky Trophies:

Most of the trophies will come naturally or with some help with a guide, but the only truly tricky trophy is "Iron ROM." You must complete a playthrough of the game in a single session without loading or continuing from a fail state (without dying, basically). There is one area of the game where you will have to avoid an enemy, which will likely determine whether or not you'll earn this trophy - consult a video guide for this trophy!

Conclusion:

You may have access to 2064: Read Only Memories from PS+, and a sequel is currently slated for a Q1 2022 release. This game is a shorter experience, so I wouldn't pay full price for it; however, I'd recommend it if you can find it on a sale (it's been released on more or less every platform).

• Like 2

Platinum #134 - Spy Chameleon

Lbb4510.png (320×176)

This game was given as a PS+ offering some time ago. This top-down puzzler has you controlling a cold-blooded RGB agent, and you must think quickly and employ camouflaging abilities to complete missions. There are optional time- and collectible-based challenges (unless you're hunting for the Platinum, of course) to add to replayability. It's not the type of game I regularly play, but I had an all right time with Spy Chameleon (it is also a short experience, so it doesn't overstay its welcome, imo).

Platinum #135 - Far Cry 3: Classic Edition

L5d1718.png (320×176)

Another series introduction for me, I was able to play Far Cry 3: Classic Edition as part of Far Cry 5's complete bundle (which I only bought during an inevitable steep sale, of course).

Story:

After a skydiving session, Jason Brody, his brothers, and his group of friends land in a pirate-controlled part of the Rook Islands. No sooner than they've yarr-ived, everyone is kidnapped and separated by a group of pirates led by their leader Vaas. Jason is found and freed by his older brother Grant, and successfully escapes (though his brother wasn't Granted the same fate and is killed). Jason is eventually rescued by the native Rakyat tribe, and he must undergo their rituals and other trials and tribulations in other to save his remaining brother and friends.

While there are quite a few characters, none of them have even half of Vaas' presence or charisma.

Gameplay / Graphics

Far Cry 3 has the standard fare FPS features; a variety of weapons, customization, craftable items and gear, skills, some emphasis on stealth, etc. One towering distinction that sets apart Far Cry 3 from the rest? The climbable towers, of course. Jokes aside, I did kind of enjoy hunting animals for pelts for crafting, but you feel like an awful, horrible monster for doing so; then, some trophies pop and the guilt disappears along with the trophy notification(s).

The only significant difference from the original and this remaster is the removal of the co-op missions (both local and online) - a win for single-player game afficionados.

As a remaster of a PS3-era title, don't expect cutting-edge graphics; they're not the prettiest, but get the job done. Also, the mechanics are still slightly janky. For example, throwing pebbles to distract enemies registered maybe half the time for me, and driving controls leave a bit to be desired.

Music / VA:

The music was all right, but it was ultimately overshadowed by Vaas' voice actor, Michael Mando. His performance elevated what could easily have been "just a crazy dude" to an unhinged, frightening, and sly character.

Conclusion:

I loved Far Cry 3: Classic Edition, and I'd absolutely recommend it! I believe it can be purchased separately (as well as being bundled in the Far Cry 5: Gold Edition, as mentioned earlier).

Platinum #136 - Daggerhood

L445075.png (320×176)

My first and (technically) only Ratalaika title. At the time, I wasn't aware of Ratalaika's reputation as the go-to "fast and easy Platinum" factory - oh, to be young and innocent again.

• Like 1

Platinum #137 - Spyro the Dragon

L648c20.png (320×176)

Yet another series I'd never experienced prior, Spyro makes his long-awaited, non-Skylanders appearance via the Spyro Reignited Trilogy!

Story:

Gnasty Gnorc is at home watching TV when the local news channel reports misinformation; the dragons are badmouthing him, calling him dumb and ugly. Fed up with all the fake news, Gnasty crystallizes all the dragons across the kingdoms, save for one - the titular hero, Spyro! Spyro must release all the dragons from their gem prisons and deal with Gnasty's gnarly actions.

Gameplay / Graphics

Spyro is an adventure/platformer game, while also being a collectathon (eggs, gems, etc.). I liked each world/level, and the enemies were varied (including unique and vibrant animations). Spyro's dragonfly companion, Sparx, is helpful in finding goodies and directions.

The game also features flying levels, which I didn't enjoy as much as regular levels (since I was awful with the controls), but there aren't many of them.

Toys For Bob gave Spyro a much-needed makeover; the graphics are beautiful, and the animations make characters seem alive and fluid. I feel the controls were slightly janky at times, but a minor inconvenience at most.

Music / VA:

Despite the emphasis of gameplay over story, I was pleasantly surprised at the good voice acting.

Tricky Trophies:

The game is essentially a collectathon with some miscellaneous actions to take in certain worlds/levels; reference a guide if you have trouble finding or completing anything.

Conclusion:

The Spyro Reignited Trilogy is a worthy purchase, though I'd wait for a sale since the games have been out for a few years now.

Platinum #138 & 139 - Persona 3: Dancing in Moonlight & Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight

Ld97847.png (320×176) L14c162.png (320×176)

I think these are the first rhythm games I've played (aside from a few DDR sessions when I used to go to arcades), and also my introduction to Persona games (at least technically, since these aren't mainline titles). I enjoyed the mechanics of the music gameplay, though I personally found Persona 3's music more catchy and memorable than that of Persona 5.

While the Social Events (and room searching, maybe?) were intended to exert the Persona influence, they disrupted the flow of the actual rhythm gameplay; ironically enough, the Persona parts of the game (other than the music) were the least enjoyable since it felt so out of place in the context of rhythm gameplay.

I'd recommend you buy Persona Dancing: Endless Night Collection digitally on a sale since it includes Persona 4: Dancing All Night as a bonus. Be careful about buying the physical version, which contains a code for P4: DAN; I've seen claims that the codes have since expired (though I couldn't tell you from personal experience).

• Like 4

Platinum #140 - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered

Lae1292.png (320×176)

The first game of Infinity Ward's well-loved Modern Warfare trilogy, I played the original PS3 version soon after its launch; however, there was no trophy support for that version. This remaster rectified this issue, and the only trophy that gave me trouble was finishing the training course under 15.1 seconds; I was familiar enough with the game that Veteran difficulty didn't pose too much of an obstacle (honestly, if you've experienced any other Call of Duty campaign(s), you should be fine). This game was a PS+ offering, and I'd recommend it!

Platinum #141 - Heavy Rain

Lad02dd.png (320×176)

"JASON!" This isn't the original PS3 version, but the PS4 remaster that was given as a PS+ offering.

Story:

The story of Heavy Rain involves multiple protagonists:

• Ethan, an architect whose son goes missing
  • Norman, an FBI agent on the hunt for the elusive and infamous serial killer known as the Origami Killer
  • Shelby, a P.I. that meets the families of the Origami Killer's victims for clues
  • Madison, a reporter, and;
  • JASON, whose name still haunts my very dreams /s ?

The plot brings each of these characters into the others' paths in some form or another. It is possible to fail a sequence (or have a character straight-up die) and still continue the story since there's no game-over state.

The introductory ("JASON!") chapter dragged on and on, but I was totally engrossed afterwards. It was interesting to see how each of my choices affected the story. The game has multiple endings, some good and some downright depressing; when it rains, it pours.

Gameplay / Graphics

The game plays somewhat like a click-and-point with an obsession for QTEs. Perhaps they're a product of the times (originally a PS3 title), but character movements felt slow, clunky, and unresponsive. Also, the R2 button had to be held down to walk, which I felt was a strange design choice.

Music / VA:

The voice acting was kind of all over the place; the main cast was great, but some random NPCs and child VAs were laughably bad. The music was all right.

Tricky Trophies:

The trickiest trophy is JASON - I mean, "Kamikaze," for never crashing during the highway section, especially since the dated controls aren't that great.

Conclusion:

I'd recommend this game only if you have access to it via PS+ or PS Now, and you've never played the PS3 original; besides graphics, I don't believe there are any significant improvements. Also don't play if you like being happy in general, or if you want to continue being indifferent to the name JASON!

Platinum #142 - Wheels of Aurelia

Lc5a44a.png (320×176)

This visual novel / adventure title is set in 1978, where two women are driving out of Italy for their own reasons. The Platinum, while easy, will require many playthroughs, but is still a short experience overall. While the topic of conversations and story content can be rather serious, the actual gameplay is rather chill; I completed playthroughs in between more substantial games. I'd only recommend this game on a steep, steep sale.

• Like 4

Platinum #143 - Beyond: Two Souls

Lfd0311.png (320×176)

Almost right on the heels of Heavy Rain, I played the PS4 version of Quantic Dream's subsequent title, Beyond: Two Souls!

Strangely though, the thing I remember most about this game is Jodie's VA having beef with Naughty Dog (apparently the character models of Jodie and The Last of Us' Ellie looked similar) at or around the time of release.

Story:

Jodie Holmes is born psychically linked to a mysterious entity known as Aiden. Their connection gives Jodie the ability to communicate with Aiden, as well as other powers such as possession and telekinesis. Strange happenings around Jodie prevent her from being able to find a stable home, and so she is placed under the care of Dr. Hawkins of the United States Department of Paranormal Activity in order to study her and Aiden.

The story of this game is more rooted in Sci-Fi compared to the (mostly) realism of Heavy Rain, but don't worry, it's still depressing as heck (even some of the "happier" endings)!

Gameplay / Graphics

The controls are better than Heavy Rain's, but the gameplay is slightly more interesting since you don't switch between multiple human characters, but between Jodie and Aiden. Aiden is controlled as a first-person, floating, spooky ghost-thing (for lack of a better description); it can possess humans and move objects that would otherwise be inaccessible to Jodie. This incorporates a sort of puzzle element where Jodie will need to make use of Aiden's powers to proceed.

Visually, the game is fantastic, and there are few performances issues. Graphics and performance aside, the most significant difference between the PS3 and PS4 versions is the option to choose between the "remixed" and original story. Basically, the events will either:

1. Unfurl chronologically, or;
  2. Be presented nonsensically out of order (only for what I can imagine is the writer(s) conflating obfuscation with genius)

Music / VA:

The Green Goblin, the Willem Dafoe himself voices Dr. Hawkins and gives an amazing performance, as expected. While I can't say the music was memorable, it was effective in reflecting the tone of any given scene.

Tricky Trophies:

Earlier, I mentioned the choice between the "remixed" and original telling of the narrative; you will want to choose the "remixed" so you can get away with four to five partial playthroughs instead of complete playthroughs, drastically cutting down the time required to earn the Platinum.

Though not "tricky" per se, be aware you will need either a second controller or download the companion app to be able to play the game in Duo mode for the "Two Souls" trophy. I'd urge you to go with the first option; I don't know if the companion app is still available or even working.

Conclusion:

While Beyond: Two Soul's gameplay improves upon that of Heavy Rain, I preferred the latter's grounded story (relatively speaking). Apparently, you should never purchase Quantic Dream games since I now realize Heavy RainBeyond: Two Souls, and even Detroit: Become Human were given as PS+ titles (the first two also being available via PS Now).

The majority of the following are stacks of games I've already done before, so I just appended them onto this post:

Platinum #144 - Tomb Raider

L3f3743.png (320×176)

I've already covered the PS4 Definitive Edition here, this version is the original PS3 game. In short, it plays and looks a bit worse, but I enjoyed the game so much I wanted the stack!

Platinum #145 - Saints Row IV

L43866e.png (320×176)

Another PS3 stack, as I've already covered Re-elected on the PS4 - I guess I was in a nostalgic mood or something?

Platinum #146 - Zero Escape: The Nonary Games

Ld56f80.png (320×176)

This is a collection of two Zero Escape titles, 999 (Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors) and Virtue's Last Reward. They are visual novel / puzzle games, but to the surprise of no one, I can't recall the stories at all.

Platinum #147 - The Wolf Among Us

L2b805f.png (320×176)

I've previously covered the PS4 version here! Holy moly, the PS3 version is pretty laggy and stutters quite often; my experience was further marred by playing on PS Now (via an unstable Wi-Fi connection). That aside, I am still very excited for the second season coming in 2023!

Platinum #148 - Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

Laafb6d.png (320×176)

As in most cases, the original PS3 version looks and plays worse than the PS4 version included in the Nathan Drake Collection (already covered here). I like the game well enough, but this game's controls made me appreciate that of the PS4 remaster.

Platinum #149 - Black Mirror

L6837a5.png (320×176)

I have no clue if this game has any relation to the TV series of the same name (I don't watch it), but I was excited for this game since it was developed by King Art (who are behind The Book of Unwritten Tales and The Raven); however, Black Mirror was disappointing - its story and characters simply lacked the charm of its predecessors though the point-and-click gameplay is fine. That being said, this game isn't absolutely horrible, either. If you're just looking for a short and easy Platinum, Black Mirror will suit your needs. For this reason, I wouldn't recommend purchasing the game separately but it is available on PS Now for those still interested.

Platinum #150 - Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Lc57b10.png (320×176)

Although I've already covered the PS4 remaster here, I should point out that the Platinum for the PS3 version is no longer obtainable unless you've earned the multiplayer trophies prior to the server shutdown. It's been a few years, but I remember thinking the game looked surprisingly decent considering the age of its hardware limitations.

Edited by ParkestNight
Fixed formatting and grammatical errors
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, ParkestNight said:

Platinum #143 - Beyond: Two Souls

Lfd0311.png (320×176)

Though not "tricky" per se, be aware you will need either a second controller or download the companion app to be able to play the game in Duo mode for the "Two Souls" trophy. I'd urge you to go with the first option; I don't know if the companion app is still available or even working.

Some players on here complained that using app wouldn't pop the duo mode trophy, so yeah, it's better to use a second controller - and be sure to always enable said mode from the main menu before playing.

Having never played Heavy Rain, I think Beyond Two Souls is boring, story-wise. I found Detroit Become Human more engaging, and the choices I made in that game felt impactful - just like in Until Dawn. Maybe I'm biased because I'm a huge fan of Blade Runner, especially Blade Runner 2049. I see that they share similarities. I'm sure this game is in your backlog since you have platted both Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls. Go play it sooner rather than later! :D

• Like 1

Platinum #151 & 152 - Enigmatis: The Ghosts of Maple Creek & Clockwork Tales: Of Glass and Ink

L588008.png (320×176) L56df81.png (320×176)

Two of Artifex Mundi's short, hidden object games! While formulaic, the art style is nice. These are on PS Now, so I wouldn't pay for either separately.

Platinum #153 - Saints Row: Gat out of Hell

L69edd9.png (320×176)

Yet another PS3 stack of a previous played PS4 title (here). While graphics and performance were worse overall (as expected), I strangely had way less trouble finding (and staying connected) to an online co-op partner.

Platinum #154 & 155 - Hakuoki: Kyoto Winds & Hakuoki: Edo Blossoms

L0455dc.png (320×176) Laac4d3.png (320×176)

I bought these two visual novels since they were on a mega sale, and because I had very few games on the Vita (RIP).

Platinum #156 - Full Throttle Remastered

L74f030.png (320×176)

Another LucasArts / Tim Schafer point-and-click adventure game! I didn't like it as much as Day of the Tentacle or Grim Fandango, but if you like those sorts of games, Full Throttle is right up your alley! It's also available on pretty much every platform imaginable, so just get it where it's cheapest.

Platinum #157 - Daggerhood

L740336.png (320×176)

I did the PS4 version earlier, this one is for the Vita version! Technically, I've only played one Ratalaika game (and at the time of writing, that remains true).

• Like 3

Platinum #158 - Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel

L226509.png (320×176)

While I think this game was inferior to Borderlands 2 in almost every facet, I appreciated that The Pre-Sequel was a shorter experience. This is the PS4 version that comes bundled with Borderlands 2 as part of the Handsome Collection.

Story:

Vault Hunters Athena, Claptrap, Nisha, and Wilhelm (plus Aurelia and Jack's body double via DLC) receive an offer from Jack (yes, that Jack) to find a Vault on Pandora's moon, Elpis. Basically, the story gives the backstory and context of Handsome Jack's personality and rise to power (as well as some other minor BL2 villains).

The story (which takes place before Borderlands 2) is told by Athena, who has been captured and is currently being interrogated by Lilith and the Crimson Raiders (after Borderlands 2) - hence, "Pre-Sequel."

Gameplay / Graphics

Gameplay-wise, the Borderlands formula you've come to know and love/hate remains essentially the same. One significant addition is the introduction of oxygen meters since you're on Pandora's moon. With the exception of Claptrap, you will need to either enter areas with breathable air when you're low on oxygen or collect oxygen pickups, otherwise your Vault Hunter will start losing health and eventually die. This game also introduces cryogenic and laser guns.

The game retains the series' art direction, and the performance fine save for some minor lag and stuttering.

DLC:

Both of this game's DLCs, The Holodrome Onslaught and Claptastic Voyage were pretty mediocre; however, the Handsome Collection also adds two playable Vault Hunters, so it's not all bad.

Tricky Trophies:

Many of the usual trophies make a comeback, such as completing all Rank 1 challenges, finding all named locations, reaching the highest level, etc. The trophies I found tricky were "Collateral Damage" (making a Lost Legion Eternal kill three of its buddies) and "That Helped, Right?" (experiencing all Vault Hunter modes using Claptrap's VaultHunter.EXE). Both require luck and patience (especially the latter).

Conclusion:

I'd 100% recommend this game if you are looking for a shorter Borderlands experience, it should be easy enough to find a cheap physical copy. Otherwise, the Handsome Collection is on PS Now, has been a PS+ offering, and goes on sale somewhat regularly.

Platinum #159 - Conan Exiles

L7e9337.png (320×176)

An easy and "free" Platinum (since it was given as a PS+ title) - just know that you'll need to boost the trophy to kill another player by falling on them.

Platinum #160 - God of War III Remastered

Lc9e04e.png (320×176)

I already covered the PS3 version here. The only difference is that the games looks and performs better, and I never encountered any bugs/glitches like the one I detail in the aforementioned post. Another "free" PS+ title Platinum for me, though it has also been added to the PS Now catalogue since.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Platinum #161 - Far Cry 4

L9aef39.png (320×176)

Other than the story, this game isn't a Far Cry from the previous installment of the series; fish-out-of-water protagonist who slowly becomes adjusted to killing while facing off against an entity headed by a madman. There's a few online trophies that will most likely require boosting, but it shouldn't take too long.

Platinum #162 - Far Cry Primal

L7a3706.png (320×176)

Unlike Far Cry 4Far Cry Primal's setting is vastly different from others in the series.

Story:

Takkar and his group of Wenja tribe are hunting a herd of woolly mammoths, when suddenly a sabretooth attacks. Most of the Wenja are injured, killed, or separated, but Takkar is saved by Dalso, who throws the both of them off a cliff. Before dying, Dalso implores Takkar to go to Oros and reunite with the rest of the Wenja tribe.

As much as I rag on Ubisoft games being same-y, I have to give them credit for their efforts in making the story. For example, they hired linguists to reconstruct languages that would have been spoken in or roughly around 10,000 B.C. (though I obviously can't comment on accuracy). Unfortunately, this also means that the story is told through this language, and the player is required to read the subtitles in order to understand the story. As a consequence, Primal's narrative is the least memorable to me.

Gameplay / Graphics

Instead of guns, Far Cry Primal weapons are primitive (bow and arrow, sling, clubs, spears, etc.) and the player cannot purchase them, instead having to find supplies to craft them. Other than rival tribe members, you will also deal with more natural predators than in previous games, such as sabretooths, wolves, etc.

Since video games appeal to the male fantasy, Takkar can give bait to predators and tame them, giving you a cuddly companion that can rip and tear the flesh of your enemies. Beyond combat, some predator companions can act as mounts or as your eyes and ears in the sky, marking enemies and such.

While the colours can vary a bit depending on location, there are quite a bit of greys, browns, and greens.

Conclusion:

This is the least favourite Far Cry of the ones I've played (missing 1, 2, and 6), but I appreciate that Ubisoft more effort into differentiating Primal from other games in the series. I personally just found it to be the most boring of the bunch, but I'd definitely recommend Primal to die-hard Far Cry fans!

Platinum #163 - Chaos on Deponia

L6f6dba.png (320×176)

The second game of the Deponia tetralogy. Other than the story, I outlined my thoughts on gameplay, etc. on the first title here! The entire series goes on a deep sale occasionally, so definitely wait for one of those before purchasing!

Edited by ParkestNight
Added missing information and fixed grammatical errors
  • Like 3

Platinum #164 - Life is Strange: Before the Storm

L827e0a.png (320×176)

The prequel to 2015's Life is Strange

Story:

In Arcadia Bay, Chloe Price and her friend Rachel Amber are caught up in events that revolve around Rachel's family.

Since Before the Storm's narrative takes place before the first game, I found every scene had less tension/impact; people who already played the first game are already privy to the fates of some characters. As such, I would recommend any newcomers to play this game before the original Life is Strange.

Gameplay / Graphics

Instead of Max, the player plays as Chloe in this prequel. That means the time rewinding aspect of the first game is no longer present, being replaced by Chloe's Backtalk ability. It's self-explanatory; Chloe just sasses her adversary for better or for worse. While being a small gameplay change, it does have an interesting effect on the narrative and genre, with the first game leaning towards the fantastical while Before the Storm is more grounded in reality.

Conclusion:

I'd place the original Life is Strange just a smidge above this one, but I think anyone who likes one will like the other. Again, I'd recommend playing Before the Storm before the first game due to some overlapping story elements.

Platinum #165 - Master Reboot

L2cac09.png (320×176)

Master Reboot is a Sci-Fi horror adventure game according to Wales Interactive, but the scariest thing about this game was its mediocre graphics and controls, as well as its uncanny knack of giving me a headache (I still have no clue what exactly caused it, but playing this game for 1-2 hours always gave me a headache. It's not fast-paced or anything, I don't get it). I don't think I would have played this game if:

• It wasn't a PS+ game, and;
  • I wasn't suffering from "I finished a great game and have no idea what I should tackle next in my huge backlog of games" syndrome
Edited by ParkestNight
Fixed formatting error
  • Like 1

Platinum #166 - Watch Dogs 2

Ld181ad.png (320×176)

My first Watch Dogs game, it'll make you feel like a hacker and parkour master - a hackour, if you will.

Story:

After paying the price for a crime he did not commit, hacker Marcus Holloway joins the hacktivist group DedSec against Blume, the tech company responsible for San Francisco's ctOS 2.0 network (which was responsible for Marcus' wrongful conviction).

While I've seen some criticism that the game is just about hipsters (which - to be fair - is true), I appreciated that the story and characters didn't take themselves too seriously and were lighthearted for the most part.

Gameplay / Graphics:

Since the Bay area is a large place, Marcus can move around in vehicles. Where vehicles cannot go, you can parkour instead - don't worry, you won't have to climb any towers. I really enjoyed the cities, and the things you could do and interact with. You could pet dogs, take selfies, dance, and other activities in which one can participate in our daily lives. The interactions with regular NPCs really made the locations feel more lived-in.

Marcus also has a wide array of weapons and gizmos available to him, from conventional guns to explosives to melee weapons. Marcus can use the environment to his advantage via hacking, which can lure enemies to another area, etc. Approach combat stealthily or go in guns blazing, though the latter isn't recommended since the police will be hot on your heels if your crimes are witnessed and reported.

Outside of combat, hacking can be used to gather information or to gain control of vehicles, etc.

Watch Dogs 2 does feature some multiplayer gameplay, but trophy-wise, you shouldn't have any trouble.

The game looks great, and while loading times can be a bit long, I didn't encounter any major performance issues.

Music / VA:

While the music is unmemorable, the VA is great.

DLCs:

This game has three DLCs, but I don't own them and thus cannot comment further.

Conclusion:

While I can't compare Watch Dogs 2 with the first or latest in the series (again, this is my introduction to the series), I wholeheartedly recommend it!

Platinum #167 - Yesterday Origins

Lf20954.png (320×176)

John Yesterday is a centuries-old immortal who obtained immortality sometime during the Spanish Inquisition. Yesterday Origins is a point-and-click game that sheds light on his past, and it will also come back to haunt him in the present day.

Edited by ParkestNight
Added missing information
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Platinum #168 - Far Cry 5

Lb3f7ed.png (320×176)

I'd say the difference between Far Cry 4 and 5 is more substantial than that of 3 and 4, but Far Cry 5 should still be familiar to any veterans of the series.

Story:

In Hope County, Montana, the US Marshals run a joint operation with the local police department to bring Joseph Seed (leader of the radical doomsday cult, Eden's Gate) into federal custody. Joseph doesn't resist arrest and goes willingly with the law enforcement officers, but his followers (referred to the locals colloquially as "Peggies") attack, eventually causing the helicopter carrying the officers and Joseph to come crashing down.

You play as the most junior member of the Hope County PD. You survive the crash and escape the pursuing Peggies, but you learn that the cult has shut down all communications with the outside world; you must find the remaining survivors and team up with like-minded locals in order to oppose Joseph Seed and Eden's Gate cult.

While I loved Vaas, I think the writers did a great job with Joseph Seed - he's by far the creepiest Far Cry antagonist we've had to date, which falls in line with Far Cry 5's rather bleak narrative (not that the other mainline titles were exactly unicorns and rainbows, but the point stands). I also like how the setting doesn't take place on some random island, but in Montana, which is closer to home (well, at least it's in the same continent).

Gameplay / Graphics:

The basic gameplay is more or less the same (minus the tower climbing, thank baby Jesus), but there is a slight more emphasis on melee combat, adding more relevant weapons.

One thing I enjoyed that was brought over from Primal is a Guns for Hire system (essentially having a companion). There are a number to choose from, such as Jessie the archer, Boomer the dog, Cheeseburger the Bear, etc. I didn't really make use of them, however; I prefer a stealth approach when possible, but my companions alerted enemies to my presence more often than not - I'm half-convinced they were moles planted by Joseph.

Again, since Ubisoft removed the whole "climb towers to reveal the map" mechanic, the mission orders are less linear - favouring the open-world approach in letting the player tackle each mission at their own leisure. This allows the progression of the game feel more organic, if that makes sense. In addition to just fighting, you can engage in other recreational activities such as fishing.

As usual, the game also features a multiplayer mode (which is pretty run-of-the-mill), but the map maker is incredible - some of the creations players have made are simply amazing (I just took the multiplayer trophies and ran, though).

Music / VA:

The VA is amazing, Joseph Seed's voice actor was phenomenal in the role, he perfectly portrays the character's eerie, near-inhuman calmness; at times, Joseph seems sociopathologically emotionless, detached, and logical and in other times, he seems to straddle the line into insanity - super creepy.

DLCs:

Unfortunately, the DLCs are pretty underwhelming, and are only tangentially related to the main game.

Hours of Darkness is set during the Vietnam War, where you play as an American soldier. You can choose to either save yourself and escape, or save your comrades on your way and leave together. It's okay for one playthrough, but I don't personally think it's worth another.

Lost on Mars is rather self-explanatory. You play as Nick Rye and you somehow become lost on Mars, and I presume you want to be found on Earth; the story of this DLC is a little wacky (which I usually enjoy i.e. Saints Row 3/4), but in this instance, I was so bored by the opening that I didn't continue any further. You do get a few OP alien weapons that you can use in the main game, so that's a plus, I suppose.

Dead Living Zombies is narrated over several mini-episodes by the fictional director Guy Marvel (who is somehow simultaneously an awful person and a hoot and a half). Basically, the story and gameplay of each episode is a movie pitch he makes, which are probably the best parts. The actual gameplay of the episodes isn't great, but again, I'm just there for the pitches.

It's a little iffy including this here, but since I purchased the Gold Edition of the game, I received Far Cry 3: Classic Edition as part of the Season Pass (which was well worth it given I bought the Gold Edition on a steep, steep sale).

Tricky Trophies:

Far Cry veterans won't be surprised to hear that there's an online / co-operative aspect to complete for the Platinum, but I'm just mentioning it here since you'll most likely need to boost them. They aren't too bad otherwise, thankfully.

Conclusion:

All-in-all, Far Cry 5 tops my list as my favourite in the series. Regarding DLC:

1. If you own and/or played Far Cry 3 before:
    • I would not purchase the Season Pass
  2. If you don't own and/or never played Far Cry 3 before:
    • I'd purchase the base game of Far Cry 5 and Far Cry 3: Classic Edition separately unless buying the Gold Edition is cheaper, and even then only during a deep sale (since the game has been out for years at this point)
Edited by ParkestNight
Fixed incorrect title
  • Like 3

On 3/19/2022 at 0:58 PM, ParkestNight said:

Platinum #166 - Watch Dogs 2

Ld181ad.png (320×176)

My first Watch Dogs game, it'll make you feel like a hacker and parkour master - a hackour, if you will.

You should play the first game too, although, gameplay-wise, it is weaker, but it has better story and characters. And, yeah, there are towers in the prequel. ?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Platinums #169 & 170 - Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage! & Spyro 3: Year of the Dragon

Le64bcd.png (320×176) L3c80ff.png (320×176)

I've already covered Spyro the Dragon here, and the gameplay of the remaining two Spyro Reignited Trilogy titles are similar (with a few upgrades). My favourite of the three is the first game, but the one I'm conflicted about most is Year of the Dragon. I didn't enjoy playing as other characters; however, you don't play as them for long. More importantly, I appreciated that players don't have to collect 100% of all collectibles for the Platinum.

Platinum #171 - Middle-earth: Shadow of War

L21b876.png (320×176)

Talion's back at at again, keeping the forces of Mordor at bay in this sequel to Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (which I've previously written about). Other than some minor improvements to graphics, animations, combat, and quality-of-life features, Shadow of War is just more of the first game (I absolutely loved Shadow of Mordor, so that's a positive for me, personally). PS+ subscribers may have redeemed this game as a monthly offering. While the DLCs are nowhere near as difficult as the first game, I personally wouldn't recommend them, either - they're not bad, just unnoteworthy.

Platinum #172 - Miko Gakkou Monogatari: Kaede Episode

L975631.png (320×176)

I have no recollection of this game other than that it was on PS Now.

Platinum #173 - Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter

Lf1c700.png

Another sequel, this one to Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishments, which I've already played. Again, this title is more or less the same game, but I enjoyed the first game so much I didn't hesitate to play this when it was added to PS Now (though I believe it is no longer available on the service).

• Like 2

Platinum #174 - Bendy and the Ink Machine

L10e42d.png (320×176)

Bendy and the Ink Machine is an indie title that has something of a cult following; however, does it bend or break under the pressure?

Story:

Joey Drew invites the protagonist Henry to the old studio, but once there, it is clear that something very, very wrong. A machine spouting ink that corrupts the entire studio, bringing to life old cartoon characters and twisting some into monsters. Henry must survive and make it to the end to learn the truth of what is happening.

Gameplay / Graphics:

Bendy is a first-person survival horror game, though it doesn't have an inventory system or item management, etc. Instead, it relies on good ol' bonking with melee weapons and completing puzzles to progress. The game was originally released episodically, so the length and quality of each level (while being somewhat inconsistent) generally increases the further you progress.

I have seen a few comparisons drawn to BioShock, and I can see the resemblance in the genre, gameplay (loosely), and the fact that characters are clumsy enough to leave their personal audio logs just anywhere (and for some reason, you are tasked with finding them). Unfortunately, the very limited combat is rather basic and clunky, so don't go in with any expectations. As far as horror goes, it was actually not too bad (and I say this as someone who is a horror wimp).

In terms of visuals, Bendy and the Ink Machine is one of the most memorable ones on my list. It takes inspiration from early cartoons (like the original Mickey Mouse, etc.), though Boris' character model is blatantly lifted from Goofy.

Music / VA:

While not amazing, both the music and VA were decent enough.

Tricky Trophies:

Many of the trophies are missable, so look out for those, but don't worry too much since you can use chapter select. Also, there are collectibles to find, but I don't believe the game tracks which ones you have already found.

The controls are a bit clunky, so the trophy for getting a perfect score on the shooting minigame took me a fair few tries. Also, the trophy "Aggression" is a bit tricky since you have to kill more enemies than other characters while the game doesn't show each character's kill count. As such, there is no set number of kills to strive for and depends a little bit on luck.

Conclusion:

Ultimately, Bendy and the Ink Machine neither exceeds or fails to meet expectations. At best, I'd recommend it during a sale (provided you are looking for a short experience). The next installment, Bendy and the Dark Revival, is slated for a 2022 release.

Platinum #175 - Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Lae20a1.png (320×176)

I've already played the Game of the Year Edition here, I played this since it was available on PS Now. Also, I was in the "finished a game, don't know what to play next - might as well play something I know I'm going to enjoy" phase. I'd play the PS3 version too, if it wasn't so notoriously bad (in terms of performance, etc.).

Platinum #176 - Sleeping Dogs

Ld56afc.png (320×176)

Another stack of a game I've already played, this is the original PS3 version of Sleeping Dogs. The only trophy difference is that now you must obtain all 30 Gold Stats in all categories (instead of being able to substitute 2 from the DLCs). Personally, I didn't enjoy the DLCs enough to purchase them separately - they come bundled with the base game in the Definitive Edition on PS4, which was enough for me. I purchased this version digitally when PS3 sales were still well and alive, but I'd recommend purchasing the PS4 Definitive Edition if you can - that version often goes on sale for under $5.

Platinum #177 - SkyScrappers

L88065a.png (320×176)

A quick and easy Platinum if you have PS Now - it's also not terrible, though it is quite short.

Platinum #178 - Dark Arcana: The Carnival

L757a87.png (320×176)

An Artifex Mundi game that is on PS Now. If you've played one, you've more or less played them all, but they're chill experiences!

• Like 3

Platinum #179 - Wolfenstein: The New Order

L28b9c4.png (320×176)

Yet another series first for me, Wolfenstein: The New Order was introduced to me via PS Now!

Note: keep in mind that for this write-up I am referring to the PS4 version of the game!

Story:

Set in an alternative universe where Nazi Germany's military technology far outpaces its enemies', William "BJ" Blazkowicz and his team assaults SS Commander Deathshead's fortress. Unfortunately, the team suffers major casualties and Deathshead captures the few survivors. Blazkowicz is able to escape, but suffers a head injury that leaves him in a vegetative state. Blazkowicz is found and brought to a psychiatric hospital in Poland, where he spends the next 14 years cared for by Anya, a nurse. In 1960, Nazi soldiers come to exterminate every living being in the hospital. Suffering from protagonist syndrome, Blazkowicz regains his motor controls in time to kill the incoming Nazis, and escapes with Anya determined to find fellow resistance fighters.

Gameplay / Graphics:

Unlike FPS titles like Call of Duty, this game gives Blazkowicz a health and armour value (which can be increased via finding the relevant upgrades), which raises the stakes quite a bit. He also has a number of perks to unlock, which augment his stealth, general assault, demolition capabilities, etc. Perks aside, stealth is a viable approach - on ÜBER difficulty, you'll definitely want to minimize alerting enemies as much as possible.

You can pick up and find guns from the environment and fallen enemies alike (including futuristic German armaments), and can customize them with your preferred modifications. Since Blazkowicz is a beast even after 14 years of inactivity, he can dual-wield pretty much any gun. If you'd like, Wolfenstein: The New Order can be a fast-paced, guns blazing, rootin' tootin' shootin' jamboree (which on lower difficulties is really fun).

The games looks and performs great, barring some minor loading times and infrequent frame drops.

Music / VA:

The VA and music are great, though I wasn't really a fan of Blazkowicz whispering his monologues like it was ASMR.

Tricky Trophies:

I found the ÜBER difficulty truly challenging; you'll definitely want to upgrade all of your perks and find all health and armour upgrades to give yourself the most possible wiggle room. Apparently, you can save yourself the headache and play only the final level on ÜBER via chapter select (I wish I had known sooner); however, experiencing the game up to the last level on ÜBER can be seen as preparation. It definitely helped in my case.

As for the collectibles, refer to a guide!

Conclusion:

This game goes on sale semi-regularly, so I'd 100% recommend it! I believe it is also available via PS Now.

Platinum #180 - Goodbye Deponia

Lad7d0f.png (320×176)

The third of the four Deponia point-and-click adventure titles. Personally, I found this one to be the least memorable of the series.

Platinum #181 - Nightmares from the Deep 2: The Siren's Call

Lb1c0d5.png (320×176)

Another Artifex Mundi games on PS Now.

Platinum #182 - Deponia Doomsday

Ld59b3c.png (320×176)

The finale of the Deponia series, this one was bittersweet! It was the most annoying in terms of trophies for creating every type of jackalope alone.

Platinum #183 - Steins;Gate

L0af953.png (320×176)

The Vita stack of the PS4 version I've written about here! I'm not sure I understood events any better than the first time, sadly.

Edited by ParkestNight
Added in titles I accidentally skipped
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, ParkestNight said:

Platinum #179 - Wolfenstein: The New Order

L28b9c4.png (320×176)

Apparently, you can save yourself the headache and play only the final level on ÜBER via chapter select (I wish I had known sooner)

Fantastic game there. That exploit also works in Wolfenstein: The Old Blood. If only that exploit worked in The New Colossus, its plat wouldn't be ultra rare. xD

I decided to skip Youngblood because I kept hearing bad things about its grind. If you play that one and you say the grind isn't so bad, I might change my mind. :D

• Like 1

The following write-up for DOOM was originally in my previous post; I accidentally skipped over a few games (and I didn't want the post to be too long), so I'll include it in this post instead.

Platinum #184 - DOOM

L791aa7.png (320×176)

When DOOM was added to the PS Now library, I didn't immediately play it since I usually run the opposite direction from scary Satan shit; however, this is one hell of a game!

Story:

In this Rated E for Everyone* title, one Good Christian forgives** the sinful actions of his downstairs neighbours by killing them ...with kindness***

*    Definitely not Rated E for Everyone

**   Definitely doesn't forgive

***  Definitely not with kindness

Gameplay / Graphics:

The introduction quickly dispels any fears by throwing you directly into the fray. DOOM is a frantic FPS with a variety of weapons you can collect and upgrade. The combat encourages constant movement, which took me a while to get used to, but results in badass battles. The glory kills end enemies in spectacular fashion and they are especially satisfying. Soon enough, I was thinking, "I'm not locked in here with you; you're locked in here with me!"

The game also features multiplayer modes as well as level creation tools.

The graphics are great, and I hardly encountered any performance issues.

Music / VA:

The fast-paced gameplay is greatly enhanced by the amazing metal soundtrack - it made me feel like I was the hunter rather than the hunted. On the other hand, it perhaps lends credence to old-time sentiments that rock 'n' roll is the devil's music ?

Doomguy's VA delivered his lines with great power and consistency, I hope he didn't overexert himself ?

DLCs:

All the DLCs (which are free now, I believe) are multiplayer-related, so I steered clear of them.

Tricky Trophies:

Trophy-wise, DOOM was notorious for glitches; I didn't encounter any, thankfully (most likely due to post-launch patches). I'm additionally happy that only the first mission had to be beaten on Ultra-Nightmare. It still took me a few tries, but it's really not too bad.

The multiplayer trophies only ask you to dip your toes in, but I have no clue how active the lobbies are these days. The SnapMap-related ones suck, but don't require any boosting.

Conclusion:

If you're squeamish about the sight of gore and being chased by demons like I am, be assured that in DOOM the demons are more afraid of you! Have fun and give 'em hell!

Platinum #185 - PixArk

L94438a.png (320×176)

Based on the ARK survival games with graphics similar to Minecraft.

Platinum #186 - Old Man's Journey

L0e6070.png (320×176)

I heard of this game through some glowing mentions online, and so I bought it when it went on sale. The story, while short (1-2 hours at most), took me through an emotional journey. I believe the game was released first on mobile devices, and so the controls on the PS4 were somewhat awkward; for this reason, I'd recommend purchasing the title on mobile (it's probably cheaper that way, too).

Platinum #187 - Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard

L20365f.png (320×176)

A strange title release in the PS3 generation, available on PS Now.

Story:

Eat Lead is essentially an amalgamation of game and movie parodies which satirize popular genres and tropes. Matt and the story often breaks the fourth wall, and both are rather absurd (think Saints Row IV, but weirder).

Gameplay / Graphics:

While the story is quite absurd, the gameplay is rather tame in comparison. Eat Lead is a third-person cover shooter with a variety of guns to choose from. Matt can also receive upgrades for his weapons. Unfortunately, the game also features QTEs.

The controls are kind of clunky and the combat kind of sucks - the story (particularly the parodies/satire) really steals the show.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed this game more than I expected; however, the game released in 2009 and it hasn't aged well in either the performance or graphics department. 

Music / VA:

It turns out that Will Arnett voices Matt, while Neil Patrick Harris plays the role of the main antagonist - I guess that demonstrates where most of the development budget was allocated.

Tricky Trophies:

Overall, playing on the highest difficulty is fine (except for a few levels), but the most annoying trophy for me personally (also my last one before the Platinum) was for killing three Test employees with a single grenade launcher explosion. It's harder than it sounds because these particular enemies don't show up in large numbers and they rarely bunch together - it relies more on luck than I'd really like.

Conclusion:

Honestly, my explanations didn't do the game justice at all - this is one case where I'd suggest playing (or watching a YouTube playthrough and/or cutscenes) to get a more accurate representation of Eat Lead. While I ended up enjoying it, I wouldn't pay for Eat Lead separately; instead, I'd only play it if you can find a cheap physical copy, or if you have it available via PS Now (or something similar on other platforms).

• Like 2

Platinum #188 - South Park: The Stick of Truth

L55e1b0.png (320×176)

As someone who has never watched South Park, this game was quite a shock for me.

Note: keep in mind that for this write-up I am referring to the PS4 version of the game!

Story:

The New Kid moves to South Park, where he is immediately embroiled in a fictional war between the elves and the humans. Cartman is the leader of the humans and rules from his fortress, Kupa Keep. More importantly, he possesses the titular Stick of Truth - a legendary object said to give its user control over space and time. When the Stick of Truth is stolen by the elves, the New Kid (now dubbed "Douchebag") is tasked with its return, not only raising human-elf tensions, but also uncovering a brewing conspiracy in South Park.

As ridiculous as the story is, I enjoyed the comedy for the most part. Some of the humour liked skirting the line between being funny and just plain vile (for example, I can't say I've encountered any aborted Nazi zombie fetuses before or since this game), but I wouldn't say it reached the point of being offensive; however, other communities clearly disagree, as the game may be censored (to varying degrees) depending on region. I played the NA version, so be warned that there's full frontal male nudity near the end of the time.

Gameplay / Graphics:

The Stick of Truth is a 2.5D turn-based RPG with its own class-based combat and equipment system. In your party (maximum 3), your characters can attack with melee or ranged weapons or use magic and items. There are even status effects and Summons, which I didn't expect. That being said, the combat is still pretty basic; however, the length of the story is quite short, so I don't really feel put off by shallowness of the combat.

Douchebag in particular has magical fart powers in his arsenal (yes, fart powers). He can use them in combat and during exploration in order to progress.

The art style of the game perfectly emulates that of the show, which is cool. Some loading times can be a bit long, but the performance was fine otherwise. Don't let Douchebag's gas put you off; it's just a phase.

Music / VA:

The voice work is amazing, though it surely helps that the game has the same dedicated cast as the television show. Unfortunately, the music isn't as memorable, and the battle music especially is repetitive.

Tricky Trophies:

Many, many of the trophies in South Park: The Stick of Truth are missable (collectibles included), so you'll 100% want to follow a guide (you'll have to start the game over from scratch if you fail to collect a missable one, so save yourself the pain).

Conclusion:

South Park: The Stick of Truth is a fun and short game (so long as you're okay with mature / kinda gross content, that is). I received a voucher entitling me for a free download of this game when I purchased a new physical copy of South Park: Fractured But Whole - I'd see if you can find one for cheap, just make sure the cover says it includes a code for a free copy of South Park: The Stick of Truth.

Platinum #189 - Indivisible

L053daa.png (320×176)

A decent 2D game with platforming on the overworld and RPG battles when encountering enemies. You follow Ajna and friends on a quest to stop a goddess from destroying the world. There can be many members in your party, but sadly very few are developed as characters at all. The base game is fine, but be warned that the DLC trophies are glitched (and either the developers or the publishers have given up on fixing them), so the 100% is - as far as I know - unattainable.

Platinum #190 - Tekken 6

Lf2687f.png (320×176)

The story is your standard fare Tekken: all the male members of the Mishima family are big mad, cause a global war, and for some reason hold a King of Iron Fist Tournament. Tekken 6 also features a Scenario Campaign mode that has your chosen character run in larger levels, fight enemies, and even pick up weapons. It's pretty weird, and while I can appreciate attempts to switch up the formula, I'm glad they went back to their roots in Tekken 7. Also, screw NANCY - all my homies hate NANCY. Unfortunately, this PS3 title is disc-only so prices are somewhat high (at least, the last I looked).

Platinum #191 - Monkey King: Hero is Back

L314c9c.png (320×176)

Another depiction of The Journey to the West, this 2019 game itself is a tie-in to the 2015 movie of the same name. The gameplay is a bit basic, but the graphics are outstanding!

My only real gripe with the game are its buggy trophies, particularly "Martial Arts Master" for completing all one-on-one attacks. Basically, I played on the latest patch (at the time), completed the one-on-ones - which include the final boss - and the trophy never popped. After searching online, it seemed the solution was to delete the game, reinstall the game without downloading the patch (I had a physical copy), and then complete the one-on-ones on a fresh playthrough. It worked, but I was annoyed. I'm not sure if further patches addressed this issue (or if there even were more patches; I traded in the game not long after), but I'd encourage you to look this up before starting if you're at all interested.

• Like 3

Platinum #192 - Concrete Genie

L250023.png (320×176)

Concrete Genie is a great, third-person game putting you in the shoes of Ash, a young artist from Denska. This is one of the few games that makes good use of the DualShock 4's touchpad, with which Ash can paint moving genies into the walls. Over the course of the story, Ash and his genie friends bring the colour back to Denska, while he dodges bullies. Concrete Genie was given as a PS+ offering in the past; however, sole gripe with this game is its trophies. If you want 100% completion, PlayStation VR is required (which I don't have and have no interest in).

Platinum #193 - Code: Realize ~Wintertide Miracles~

Lfe39e8.png (320×176)

A visual novel, just like the other Code: Realize titles

Platinum #194 - Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch Remastered

L214bd0.png (320×176)

I already played and wrote about the PS3 version here, this remaster just looks and performs a smidge better.

Platinum #195 - Lollipop Chainsaw

L79ba0c.png (320×176)

A game from the mind of Suda51; you know it's going to be weird.

Story:

A zombie outbreak occurs in San Romero High, and 18-year old cheerleader/zombie hunter Juliet Starling is fortunately there to fight them. Her bodyfriend Nick is not as lucky, as he is bitten by a zombie. To save Nick from turning into a zombie, Juliet decapitates him (she got a bit ahead of herself). Apparently, this game is where God of War took inspiration for Mimir - Nick is prevented from dying via magic, but now he is a head that hangs from Juliet's hip. The bad times aren't over, as the San Romero incident was just the beginning; it is up to Juliet (and Nick) to get to the root of brewing situation.

Gameplay / Graphics:

Lollipop Chainsaw is a third-person hack-and-slash game where player controls a chainsaw-wielding Juliet. The combat emphasizes a combo system, and offers temporary power-ups to incentivize not getting hit and losing your star meter.

At specific points, Juliet can stick Nick's head onto a headless zombie body and wreak havoc; Nick certainly doesn't lose his head in tight situations.

Music / VA:

The VA was pretty exaggerated, but not bad, by any means. The music was decent, too.

Tricky Trophies:

Collectibles aside, the trickiest trophies are related to Ranking mode and beating Juliet's father's score. The scores are influenced by having a high combo count, collecting medals, completing optional objectives, etc. It can be frustrating, but they aren't too bad given enough time and practice.

Conclusion:

This weird, wacky game is pretty fun, but it is unfortunately a physical-only release (at least on PS3). I got lucky and bought from a reasonable seller (for like $20), but prices nowadays can be quite steep; however, it's not a "must play" title, in my opinion, so don't feel bad if you aren't able to find a cheap seller.

• Like 4

Platinum #196 - LittleBigPlanet

La6fd61.png (320×176)

The original LittleBigPlanet! It took me just shy of 11 years to earn this Platinum (played a little bit every few years) - I don't know if it's the title that took me the longest on my list to Platinum, but it's definitely in the Top 3.

Story:

The protagonist Sackboy travels across eight lands across the world of LittleBigPlanet, encouraging him to learn to overcome obstacles through the power of imagination and creation.

While each level progresses the story, the whole point of the narrative is to get the player involved in LittleBigPlanet's community. I'd say it's kind of corny, but I came back every so often over the period of a decade - perhaps Media Molecule's tactic proved effective.

Gameplay / Graphics:

LittleBigPlanet is a 2.5D platformer that requires some minor problem solving to progress. The campaign levels progressively increase in difficulty. I remember the last few levels really tested my skills and patience. There are checkpoints that give Sackboy a limited number of lives. If you exhaust all lives at a checkpoint, you must start the level over from the beginning. During your playthrough, Sackboy can also collect bubbles and prizes (collectibles, basically).

This game is all about creation - make your own levels and upload them, play and rate other players' levels, etc. - or at least it was until late last year, as the servers (for both the PS3 and the Vita) have inevitably been shut down.

The game released in 2008, and I thought it looked good when I first played it. Every time I revisited it over the years, the graphics appeared worse and worse, but the game still manages to ooze charm; for me, it remains one of my most memorable gaming experiences. On the other hand, the game relied heavily on fetching online creations and so the loading times often suffered.

Music / VA:

The narrator is voiced by the lovely Stephen Fry, who is a joy to listen to.

DLCs:

The game has quite a few DLCs, some of which are no longer available on the PSN Store. I think some (but not all) were included on the Game of the Year Edition physical disc. I hardly strayed outside of the base game, so I can't comment on quality.

Tricky Trophies:

Acing all levels (completing them without dying) is hands-down the most difficult trophy in the game, and will most likely be the one that determines whether or not you earn the Platinum.

As mentioned earlier, the Platinum is unobtainable unless you have already completed the online / multiplayer / co-op trophies.

Conclusion:

Since the servers are no longer online, I can't really recommend this game - instead, I hope you were a LBP community member during its heyday; it really was something else. If this were 2009, I also would not recommend having a PlayStation account - Sony was infamously hacked, rendering online services unavailable for about a month. A few games (including LittleBigPlanet, inFAMOUS, etc.) were offered for free as an "apology" from Sony to PlayStation 3 owners - which is how I was introduced to the game.

Platinum #197 - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood

Lbc164c.png (320×176)

The Old Blood is a prequel to The New Order (covered earlier here), and little is different gameplay-wise. Other than the story, the only major change is the addition of ten Challenge Maps (in all of which you'll have to earn at least a Gold rank). Due to the addition of the Challenge Maps alone, I'd personally say The Old Blood's Platinum is slightly more difficult to achieve than that of The New Order.

• Like 2

Platinum #198 - Assassin's Creed Unity

Le47b38.png (320×176)

Another installment in the Assassin's Creed franchise, Unity's initial glitchy, buggy release managed to unify the player base against Ubisoft. Thankfully, I played the game years after release, so I benefitted from post-launch patches.

Story:

In 1776 France, Arno Dorian is taken in by Francois de la Serre (Grandmaster of the Templars) after his father Charles is assassinated. Thirteen years later, Monsieur de la Serre is found murdered, and Arno is framed for the crime. While imprisoned, Arno meets Pierre Bellec, an Assassin. Together, they escape the Bastille, and Arno joins the Assassin Order thereafter. After speaking with an estranged Elise de la Serre (Francois' daughter and member of the Templar Order), Arno learns of infighting within the Templars, and the part they played in the late lord's death. Arno must find answers in the midst of power grabs made by splinter Templar and Assassin factions and with the French Revolution looming not too ahead.

I rather liked the characters, especially Elise. I thought the game boasted a strong story save for the lacklustre ending. Again, there's a modern day Templar/Assassin conflict, that I didn't care for.

Gameplay / Graphics:

Assassin's Creed Unity really emphasizes customization with Arno's loadout and attire, which come with their own stats to complement Arno's abilities (a skill tree is also present, a series first). There are many chests, quests, and activities to complete in order to find weapons and pieces of gear. The Paris Stories are especially cool since they incorporate actual historical figures, and the Murder Mysteries were fun to break up the monotony of collectible hunting. 

Running around Paris is très chic also, there are a few main hubs to fast travel to and from (which come in useful since there are many districts to traverse, towers to climb, etc.). The artists did a phenomenal job with the architecture, in particular recreating real-life buildings like Notre Dame (RIP).

Unity really pushes multiplayer experiences with its Social Club, heists, and co-op missions; this in itself is not bad, but if you want the Platinum, you must collect all sync points within these missions - a near impossibility for solo players. There are YouTube videos of amazing players solo-ing all the co-op missions, but my abilities fall far short of theirs. There were also Rift missions, but I still don't know what they added to the game besides padding.

Sync points are used to unlock skills for Arno, so it's kind of difficult to avoid the multiplayer if you want all of them (also required for Platinum). Strangely, you need all sync points to unlock every training mission, which act as a a short tutorial of sorts. So you need to play the co-op missions to earn the points, which unlock all skills, which unlock the tutorials, so you can learn to play the game? I feel that was a weird implementation.

While the graphics are great, the performance wasn't always steady; it tended to chug quite a bit.

Music / VA:

The voice acting in this game was great, but it was funny to hear French characters speak with British accents (though it never occurred to me to look into changing language options until right now - I think you can set French audio with English subtitles, for example).

DLCs:

Dead Kings is the sole story DLC released for Unity, given for free as an apology for the aforementioned poor launch of the game. The story takes place a short time after the conclusion of the base game. The narrative is okay, but there are great weapons introduced in the DLC that can also be used in the main campaign.

Tricky Trophies:

While the collectibles are a tad excessive, you can at least purchase maps to find them. No, the real tricky part is tied to the multiplayer, as I mentioned earlier. While there is matchmaking, results are (in my experience) wildly inconsistent. When I first tried matchmaking, I never got matched with other players. Two years later, I came back to Unity and tried matchmaking again - first try, I get matched with three other players for a full party of four - and I finally get the rest of the sync points I need. Now, I have no clue how active the multiplayer is (or even if servers are still up), but I'd strongly suggest boosting for the best chances of success. If you're an average Joe like me, you won't stand a chance solo-ing all co-op missions.

Conclusion:

Of the three Assassin's Creed titles I've played thus far (Black Flag, Syndicate, and now Unity), this is definitely the most demanding in things you have to do; however, I enjoyed my time with it, and I'd recommend it if you don't mind a bit of boosting, or if you just want some "classic" Assassin's Creed gameplay.

Platinum #199 - Killzone

L8cb1c4.png (320×176)

The HD remaster of the original PS2 release, Killzone was ported over to the PS3 with trophy support. While not an absolutely horrible game, I'm surprised there was approval for a sequel (kind of like how some people were surprised that Naughty Dog continued with the Uncharted series after the lukewarm reception to Drake's Fortune, I suppose). I played it via PS Now, but I'm not sure if it will still be available with the upcoming merger/revamp of PS+ and Now.

• Like 2