Trophy Information

Toots4You

Just in case anyone is after some information about the game and the trophies for Open Country, this is what I have found out after playing the 1.03 patch.

Firstly, the game has 5 auto saves but to do a manual save you need to go to one of the cabins that allow you to or make a camp. I always found it easier just to fast travel to the Montain Pass Cabin in Tumnus Valley which is the 2nd map you unlock after you accept the 4th missing "Hunt for Ol' Chip". When you fast travel here you will see the cabin just north of your RV and you need to press square on the door and you will find the 5 manual save slots.

Auto saves only happen when you fast travel so if you have been walking around for a while make a camp if you think you might die from a fall or animal attack.

I did have 2 manual saves get corrupted on this version of the game so lets hope this gets fixed in future. I had other saves to fall back on so not much progress was lost but I thought it would mention it.

The game does not have a free roam mode after you finish the story. According to the developer's discord thread this may be added later but you need to ensure you make a save when you immidiately accept the 2nd last story missing "Cabin Resupply". The reason for this is if you complete this missing you will get Nancy (I think thats who it is) asking for you to respond on the
radio every 2 mins which is annoying and if you accidently accept then you will not be able to buy or sell any more items due to the fact that the quest giver is the shop and they are no longer at the lodge.

Currently, the following 4 trophies appear to be broken from my experience: 

Master Giller
Good Boy!
In Search Of Beauty
Carthographer

I could be doing something wrong but I found all the locations and I have killed something like 50 birds for the dog to fetch. In regards to the trophy fish I emailed the 505 Games and they in short said to keep an eye out on future patch notes for a fix. These 4 trophies have over the last few days been achieved by someone on the network, so my guess is that they are in the testing process for the next patch which would also tie in with what they have said on discord.

For those that want it, a list of the story mission names in order are: 

Ranger Delivery
Food First
Stocking Up
Hunt for Ol' Chip
Best Friend
Building Up
***Lost Post*** (you get this quest but do not need to complete it in order to complete the game)
Hunt Gone Wrong
Drive Through Infiltration
Boating About
Bad Beavers on the Loose
Toad Trade Boom
Practice Makes Perfect
Ghost of a Huntsman
Ruffling The Right Feathers
Lost Luggage
In The Service Of The Naturalist
Bighorn Sheep Hunt
Danger Danger
Power Restored
A Different Kind of Bridge
Unfair Trade
Hunter Becomes Hunted
Much ado besides hunting
White Tailed Deer Hunt
Mule Deer Hunt
Wild Moose Chase
Snow Mobile Ambulance
Cabin Resupply
Bead Delicacies

Basic Trophy Information

Complete Outdoorsman - The platinum trophy. You should know how to unlock these.
Good Start - Unmissable as it takes more than a day to complete all the missions
Keep Going - it took me around 30 days for my first playthrough and 20 for my second so this was not missable
That’s The Spirit - I did't count the days to see if the seperate playthroughs counted but to get this just load up near a cabin, keep sleeping until you need to eat and drink, and then go get berries or drink from a barrel and then sleep some more and this will eventually pop
Not Drinking That - Berries is all you need to do this along with the skills to ensure your thirst and hunger bars don't drop as fast (these should be the first things you upgrade)
Young Angler - Unmissable quest related
Not Eating That - Same stratergy as "Not Drinking That", increase your skills to ensure your thirst and hunger bars don't drop down as fast and just eat berries all the time
Seasoned Angler - grab a boat after you complete the story quest that teaches you how to fish and fish up another 47 of them (since you need to catch 3 anyway for the quest). The fishing is broken so the bars I got in the quest never came up again so you just need to try to tire the fish out by pulling the opposite direction and tapping R2, then the indicator dropps to the middle press and hold R2 and hope the fish gets reeled into the boat.
Just A Walk In The Park - Unmissable
Master Explorer - Unmissable
Globetrotter - Not sure if this is 100% unmissable but I got this around the 20th quest
Autumn Fan - Unmissable unless you are highly efficient. Tthe timer for this worked across different saves
Summer Fan - Unmissable unless you are highly efficient. Tthe timer for this worked across different saves
Winter Fan - Unmissable unless you are highly efficient. Tthe timer for this worked across different saves
All Autumn Animals…Check - I don't have a list of animals sorry, so just shoot anything that moves. The list of animals are shown on the fast travel map so that may help however they sometimes have different names than what you hunt on the map.
All Summer Animals…Check - I don't have a list of animals sorry, so just shoot anything that moves. The list of animals are shown on the fast travel map so that may help however they sometimes have different names than what you hunt on the map.
All Winter Animals…Check - I don't have a list of animals sorry, so just shoot anything that moves. The list of animals are shown on the fast travel map so that may help however they sometimes have different names than what you hunt on the map.
Getting Good - Technically unmissable but if you are playing the game as indended you will unlock this after the first few missions. Each skill has 3 levels that can be unlocked.
Getting Really Good - This one is tricky because after you press X after the final reward screen after you finish the quest "Bead Delicacies" a cut scene comes up and the game ends with no free roam after. So ensure you press Triangle the moment after you press X and spend what should be your final 5 points to get this (you get 10 points from the final mission but at that point you only need 5 to unlock the last skill)
I’ve Got A Need… - Technically missable if you are either terrible at driving or you constantly leaving your house to go to the shops to buy a months worth of groceries every time you start a race. The times to beat are very generous so you will be fine.
...The Need For Speed - See above. Each race can be done on Easy, Medium, and Hard but you need to do the 10 different races rather than beat 4 of the races on different difficulties. The races unlock as you progress through the story missions so keep coming back before the 2nd last story mission at the latest to achieve this.
Step Right Up - There is like 204 people who own this game on PSN Profiles so this will take ages without a boosting partner. These trophies only require you to start the multiplayer game to unlock rather than finishing the hunt.
Experienced - As above but play 10 co-op games
Great Job - You need to win these rather than just playing the map, so hunt down the target animal and be the first to hunt it before you quit the match.
Winning Streak - As above but do it 10 times. Easier with a boosting partner as this is taking me forever to achieve since nobody really plays this online.
Master Giller - I think this is broken, none of the 50 fish I got came up on the wall in the lodge.
Best Friend - just hunt any animal and feed your dog the raw meat if the dog is hungry and this will unlock quickly. You can also pet the dog (which you should do anyway because even though it's a dog in a video game, it's still a dog) to increase the bong between you and the dog. Once the bonding bar is full this will unlock.
Good Boy! - I think this is broken. I have gotten the dog to fetch around 50 birds and it still has not unlocked. 
Puffy Belly - Hunt a lot of animals and put the Raw Meat and then feed your dog every hour or two in the game. There is no accurate clock but you should be able to guess this from the indicator in the top right part of your screen.
Full Wardrobe - You unlock all the clothes to buy after you unlock the 3rd map. Once this happens go to the lodge and trade with the trader and buy all the clothes.
“I Have Nothing To Wear” - Same process as "Full Wardrobe"
Thick Skinned - You have to use the bandage if you get a laceration after being hit by a wolf of bear. This will not happen every time you get hit but it is common especially since there are a few missions where 3 or 4 wolves are attacking you at once.
Very Thick Skinned - I used around 10 in my 2 playthroughs since its not too hard to avoid wolves or bears once you know how they attack you, so if you are missing this after your playthroughs there is a part of the 2nd map in the middle where wolves always spawn so head there, get hit, then bandage yourselve then head back to the lodge to buy some more (you may need to rest for a day for the store to restock)
Business-Minded - Buy or sell anything to the trader after she unlocks at the lodge.
Trading Mogul - As per above. Since you will sell raw meat and pelts, or you will need to buy bullets so this will unlock early in the game.
Not Afraid Of The Big Bad Wolf - Shoot a wolf two or three times and then try to finish it off with a knife you had made. Alternatively you could use a bow you have made or a spear but just make sure its a made one rather than a purchased one.
Diligent - The practice range opens up about a third of the way through the story missions and when I got there I just shot one of the targets and then left the game for an hour
Perfectionist - Complete all Timed and Precision on all 3 difficulties with all 4 weapon types to unlock this. Each weapon type has 2 or 3 options for you so just select your the one you want.
Elite Training - When going through Practice or Timed modes, you will eventually see a crown come up for you to shoot. I selected the bow and did Timed mode as during the 2 mins you get the crown will appear on the right around 2 times and it's a stationary target so it was easier to get. Timed mode also gives you unlimited ammo so you don't have to stress about being 100% accurate on your first try.
In Search Of Beauty - I think this is broken. You can see all the map locations to explore if you are at the RV and zoom in and out of the map for a bit (I believe this is a bug). Some if the locations do no actually stay on the map because they are for just one quest which is why they show with this bug but do not display on your main map when you are at the same point. 

Carthographer - As above I think this is broken at the moment, but the locations are the areas with a blue marker when you get to the location.
That’s How Boys Roll - Finish all 30 story missions to get this while using a male character.
That’s How Girls Roll - Finish all 30 story missions to get this while using a female character.
A First Time For Everything - Unmissable

Sorry if my writing style is a bit all over the shop. Feel free to message me if you need to clarify anything.

If i remember I will make a note if they update the game again and the 4 brokent trophies are fixed.

• Like 4

Nice job compiling all that info. It seems every patch broke the game even more. Shame too because I remember thinking while playing an early version that with more polish and fixes it would be really fun.

Unfortunately a patch can’t fix the voice acting, we’ll just have to deal with that lol.

So I am not sure about any improvement in the voice acting, but the new 1.04 patch has so far fixed the Master Giller and Good Boy! trophies.

Master Giller - When you catch a fish, if it is a trophy fish then it will say in the description on the same page about how big your fish was. You can get 10 of any type of trophy fish in order to unlock these. I got 4 Pike, a Rainbow Trout, a Cutthroat Trout, a Walleye, and a Smallmouth Bass. You should get this now while going for the Seasoned Angler trophy and it took me around 24 fish to get the 10 trophy fish required for this one. 

Good Boy! - You need to down an animal and then interact with your dog and the Fetch option should be available for you to select. If the animal is too big the dog will run to it and just bark until you come over. I am not sure if this will count so I just hunted birds because the dog is able to pick it up and bring it back to you. The dog will sometimes have it in its mouth or drop it at your feet and from what I tested it does not matter for it to count. The only downside is the birds are usually located around water and the dog's pathing is not reliable and it will bug out and the dog can go in random directions. Fortunately if you go to the 2nd map and run directly east from Brighton Lake until just before you hit the river I was able to find a group of 4 or 5 birds flying around an open area which meant the dog did not have any issues fetching them. I then just ran back to Brighton Lake, shot another bird, and then went back to that area which was enough time for them to reswapn.

At the moment, Search Of Beauty and Carthographer trophies appear to still be bugged even with the new patch. I can see that someone on the PSN has it but my guess is that it was part of the developers testing process so either they did fix it and I just have not worked out where everything is on the maps or it is broken. I will see if I can update this thread when I can confirm this. 

Just message me if you have any questions on the trophies for this game and I will help where I can. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So the publisher, 505 games, have said that they are not supporting this game anymore so the 2 final broken trophies will not be fixed.

No point really buying this game if you are only doing it for trophies. It isn't a bad hunting/survival game but personally I think they are only hurting themselves by not at least fixing the final trophies.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2022 at 10:47 PM, IntroPhenom said:

Extraordinary! I'm never buying this game, and others won't either. Stupid 505 Games.

I told them when asking about any future updates that three were people waiting to confirm that the platinum was obtainable before buying the game but clearly they were not interested. It is a shame because even with the bugs I enjoyed my time but I am annoyed I put in the effort only to get 2 trophies away from the platinum.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 11/10/2021 at 2:40 AM, Toots4You said:

So the publisher, 505 games, have said that they are not supporting this game anymore so the 2 final broken trophies will not be fixed.

No point really buying this game if you are only doing it for trophies. It isn't a bad hunting/survival game but personally I think they are only hurting themselves by not at least fixing the final trophies.

Thanks for your post. I was about to buy this game too. What a shame…

• Like 1