Difficulty of 100%?

AJ_Radio

I bought this game a while back during one of the flash sales. Long time Streets of Rage fan, played the hell out of the old Sega Genesis titles from way back in the day. Did a test run last week and I find that Streets of Rage 4 plays beautifully. Music doesn't quite meet the level of SOR2s awesome fucking soundtrack (simply one of the absolute best 16 bit soundtracks) but it's still decent. Not the biggest fan of the new characters, particularly Cherry, just don't like her style.

Not too long ago I bought the DLC, because I'm a completionist and I just can't say no to Max, he's fucking great.

Been reading up on the Survival trophies and the DLC in general and it just sounds like people are saying its more time consuming than anything else. SOR4 doesn't look to be as difficult as some other indie beat-em-ups, which I think is a good thing because that helps broaden its audience. Interesting to note unlocking the alternate moves. The SOR franchise always had cool nifty abilities and moves.

As usual when I made these threads on games I haven't fully played yet, what can I expect out of this one?

It's really easy compared to other similar games out, things like Mother Russia Bleeds. River City Girls, Dragon's Crown, no stupid trophies like having to complete the game in offline coop / complete the game without losing a life.

Yeah Cherry is shit, probably the worst new character, and hearing her guitar wails gets old really fast. The other guy with his arms is not bad. Adam is great. Shiva, Max and Estel should have been in the game from Day 1, I wish Skate was in instead of Cherry, even though I don't like him.

Difficulty of 100% seems to vary with each patch. I found many stages much easier when Estel came along. But the final stage is a bit harder now because they took the swinging balls out near the end where you fight a ton of fat guys. No idea for all the changes.

I wish SOR4 had an OST editor so you could choose which SOR track you wanted to play on each level. The SOR4 gets old really fast, and I don't like the new sounds too much, they just sound a bit wet fish slappy.

Thankfully playing as the SO2 characters you get to hear their bone crunching sounds.

[edit] Oh, so maybe 4 or 5 out of 10, 100 yen trophy is the only tricky one and on current patch, you can quite easily do well with some of the new OP characters like Shiva or Estel

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 1

You shouldn't have an issue especially as I'm pretty sure they reduced the difficulty for hard mode since when I did it. The character trophies for doing all the stages takes time yeah, and the DLC adds another 3 runs. As always with things like this, just pace yourself and it'll be fine.

DLC is just time consuming yeah though not excessively so. You basically need 100k I think for SOR1 characters and 250k for other characters (200k for SOR2/3?). If you're good then in 40ish mins you can max out a character (less for SOR1 ones) and there are 21 characters, but most people will require more runs with most characters so that lengthens the time needed. Getting to level 30 is skill based yes but I had no trouble doing it with SOR1 Adam in single player (harder to reach later stages in co-op I found) who is powerful and has great reach. Feel free to play co-op if you wish as whatever points the other person gets does count for you, just be aware that co-op ain't a way to speed the grind up as you get half the points you would playing single player. 

• Like 1

Usually when DLC gets released the trophies start off ultra rare, generally because this website calculates the number of game owners and includes the people who have at least one trophy earned in the DLC. It's adequate, but not a great formula.

I've looked at other beat em ups. Mother Russia Bleeds looks too frustrating, don't know anything about River City Girls or Dragon's Crown. SOR4, probably give it a 7 out of 10, a lot of stuff we've wanted for years. Not a masterpiece, the new characters and the mostly alright to decent music drops the rating down a bit.

Thanks for the comments from the both of you.

Mother Russia Bleeds is a decent game but shit trophies. Scott Pilgrim is another game that is good, bit better, but that has shit trophies, not hard, but mostly the online in that game is so bad you'll just be praying you don't get a "RYAN" error, I kid you not. I have several glitched trophies for that game where some popped early for no reason...

Dragon's Crown on the other hand is fantastic, I probably like it ever slightly more than SOR4, but I guess because it's more of a JRPG so in a way not really comparable.

Dragon's Crown has dickish trophies too, a bit less so, but still. One trophy makes it so unless you choose Wizard as your main character you're gonna struggle with the high damage trophy later. Main issue with the game is that it's like Borderlands, the game levels up with your equipment, so one minute you'll be chopping enemies up left right and center and then next stage you'll be doing considerably less damage, so you'll constantly find yourself constantly having to mini grind to make the next area easier. Which is why it feels more like a button masher and less about making progression down to your skill, I mean why bother to play well, it just takes longer to finish the level, or you die. When you can come back after 15 mins of grinding and then just crush the level.

It's also just like games like Borderlands, where you'll get an S ranking Lvl 22 sword but then a few stages later, the same sword but B ranking Lvl25 weapon will do as much or more damage. So inventory management becomes quite a pain and since there are three difficulties but each time you need to get to lvl33, lvl66, lvl99 to stand a chance of defeating the final boss. In reality, it just feels like playing the game three times over and having your stats reset. Lvl34 on hard feels just like Lvl1 on normal.

It's a fun grindfest, but certainly an acquired taste perhaps. It has cross play between PS3, Vita and PS4 and even has cross save data between game regions too which I am not sure any other game has done before.

I played it many years all offline and on Vita since you can recruit 3 AI players to join you in your quest. I think it was free on PS+ at one point. (On Vita)

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 1