Graphical issues! please help :(

ille1234

So, this all started when i first started up Battlefield 3, instantly noticed that the game was looking weird, i really couldn't figure out how and why though. After a few more days of plaing i realized that the textures where looking a bit weird, sorta like, fuzzy around the edges. I figured that this was because of the game being ported back and forth between platforms and this was the outcome, i later discovered that this wasn't the case.

Earlier today i bought Uncharted 3 and was hoping for a graphical marvel when i booted it up. After playing a few minutes i noticed that the same thing had happened on this game. It kinda looked like if you would take a really high-res picture end squeeze it together, making the edges look really sharp and pixelated, if anyone knows what i mean by that. In other words, the game didn't look as smooth as it did when i watched gameplay of it online, it was quite edgy.

After countless hours of playing around with settings on my tv i came to the conclusion that it wasn't my tv that was causing it, it was something else. I literally tried every single setting on my tv, i even tried playing it with my brothers PS3 on my tv, that didn't work either. I tried changing the HDMI cable, didn't work. I tried enabling and disabling different resolutions on my PS3, didn't work.

Downstairs in my familys livingroom we have a Samsung Smart TV, i figured that if it didn't work there then the game must be broken or something. Needless to say, it didn't work there either. At this point I was really starting to get pissed of. I didn't even care what was causing this anymore, i just wanted to know.

So here i am now, desperately asking for your help. I'm really baffled by this one and am to pissed of to do anything right now.

I have a 60gb fat PS3 and a 42" Full-HD LCD LG TV if that helps at all.

Any tips or advises will help greatly, i'm just out of ideas at this point.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news illie, but it sounds as if the ol' PS3 is on its last legs.

This is a common complaint among those just prior to their PS3's up and dying on them. Some have had success by replacing the thermal paste, but this is usually a temporary fix and in the end you will either need to send it in for repairs or get a new console.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news illie, but it sounds as if the ol' PS3 is on its last legs.

This is a common complaint among those just prior to their PS3's up and dying on them. Some have had success by replacing the thermal paste, but this is usually a temporary fix and in the end you will either need to send it in for repairs or get a new console.

This was my first thought also, here's the weird part though; it happened on my brothers 320gb one as well. I'm going to check if it works on my brothers tv with his PS3, perhaps it's just the mixture of my tv + my PS3.

HDMI from your PlayStation 3 to the input on your television. Make sure your PlayStation 3's Display Settings is set to HDMI, and that your television's display is set to digital. That's all I've got to offer right now.

Tv display set to digital? How do i check that?

Since you only mentioned BF3 & U3, does this problem of your occur also on your older titles? It might be helpful as well if you have some pics to show.

Actually, i have yet to try older games, i will soon though.

I will try to snap a few pics of this, i'll upload them if they turn out somewhat decent :)

What Azakos said. Often, the TV's commands override the HDMI's commands, so it won't be HD until the TV is set to it.

Also, did you lower the resolution to 720P?

Then, how do i set my tv to it? :o

I did indeed lower the resolution to 720p, it helped a bit, not a lot though...

Okay, so i played Uncharted 3 on my brothers PS3, with his cables and his TV and it went beutifully. So i can cross of it being the discs/games fault.

I now have to test my PS3, my cable and my TV, will do that tomorrow.

I also have a couple of pics but i'm having trouble uploading them, will try that again tomorrow as well :)

I think the problem itself maybe the lcd itself. Most games play at 720p resolution. If the games BF3 & U3 can play up to 1080p and the lcd only upscales to 1080p that may be the source of the problem. Most LCD says they're Fully HD but in reality they only can upscale it to look full HD.

Both BF3 and U3 play in 720p, i checked the backsides. Still might be the TV though as it is an older model...

You're gonna have to pick up the remote and do some navigating. All televisions are different, so just look around through the menu; shouldn't be too hard to find.

Will do. Although i doubt i'll find as i've spent countless hours on trying to fix this with different settings on my TV and you'd really think that I'd have coma across this by now :/