Messiah General Tips and Scenario List

Stargazer14096

• 3 weeks later...

These are valuable tips for brave souls who want to obtain that ultra-rare platinum trophy!

If I may, I'd like to add a few of my own which I posted in a previous thread over two years ago:

• Conserve most of your battery for chapter 5 in the mines. You'll need it. As long as you have at least 50% battery power left when you descend into the mineshaft, you should have nothing to fear.
  • Use in-game light sources to navigate most of the environments, to conserve your battery optimally. This is related to the previous pointer.
  • Use your microphone to locate enemies in times of uncertainty. This was a lot harder in the pre-patch versions where the difficulty was still significantly higher and your microphone drained your battery too, but in this case: exploit that microphone whenever you want to. It could end up being your saving grace.
  • Conserve stamina for the right moments. It seems tempting to rush through every environment non-stop, but Blake will need to catch his breath often. And if you end up exhausted at the start of a chase sequence, chances are huge you will not survive. Conserving stamina is the difference between life or death.
  • Know the game inside and out. Practice sections on Nightmare difficulty first. This is pretty self-explanatory: having full knowledge of what comes next and how to deal with the situation at hand is key and helps to anticipate and plan ahead.
  • Keep collecting bandages. In some cases a regular NPC (or if you're very lucky like I was, a main antagonist), could hit you and you'll survive but you'll be wounded, meaning you'll be slower and in mortal peril. Make sure you keep collecting bandages in case you end up in a similar situation.
  • Stay calm, and keep a level head. Perhaps the biggest tip of them all, and an ostensibly stupid one, but nevertheless one that could save your entire run. Outlast 2 has a fantastic horror atmosphere, with impeccable audio design, meaning you could end up panicking during certain parts or when something doesn't go according to plan. Stay calm, remember where you need to go, and handle accordingly.

TLDR: Conserve most of your battery power until the mines, manage your stamina, an extra bandage or two wouldn't hurt and practice, practice, practice.

• Like 2

Actually, I did a bit of testing, and it turns out you can be very liberal with your battery use throughout ch1 until halfway through ch2. When Nick and Laird steal your camera during the crucifixion section, it doesn't matter how much battery it has left. I let them steal it with the battery already in the red, and still got it back with about 75% (tested on Insane difficulty of course). So if you really need it, feel free to use quite a lot of NV up until then. But yeah, of course the tips you added are also mega useful as well :) at the end of the day, it's really gonna come down to practice, practice, and more practice. And definitely stay calm, don't let the game throw you off. Insane difficulty just seems a lot more intimidating than it actually is. As long as you keep a level head, it's very doable.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2021 at 4:38 AM, MDSP777 said:

Actually, I did a bit of testing, and it turns out you can be very liberal with your battery use throughout ch1 until halfway through ch2. When Nick and Laird steal your camera during the crucifixion section, it doesn't matter how much battery it has left. I let them steal it with the battery already in the red, and still got it back with about 75% (tested on Insane difficulty of course). So if you really need it, feel free to use quite a lot of NV up until then. But yeah, of course the tips you added are also mega useful as well :) at the end of the day, it's really gonna come down to practice, practice, and more practice. And definitely stay calm, don't let the game throw you off. Insane difficulty just seems a lot more intimidating than it actually is. As long as you keep a level head, it's very doable.

I never even realized the battery resets to a fixed amount once you retrieve the camera from Nick and Laird. How does that translate into the lore? Nick and Laird put in a new battery out of kindness? :D

Even if you can use the initial battery more, I find it could only come in handy in a few small spots such as the ducts in the school or the cave with the "heretic temple".

Still: that does favor players who are having more difficulty navigating via the natural and external lighting sources!

• 1 year later...

I'm gonna hijack this thread to share the "strategy" I'm currently using. It's working wonders (but you need two consoles).

I'm playing my Messiah run on PS5. When I get to a harder part of the game (the library maze which always gets to me, king of the hill, mines...) I open up the game on PS4, play the section that is coming next on there, then after a few consecutive successful attempts on Nightmare I switch over to my PS5. It totally takes away the tension that is (at least for me) a common reason for my failed attempts.

Do note that when you start the game on PS4 you will be booted from the game on PS5, but when you close the game on PS4 and open it again on PS5, the game will resume from where you left off.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/02/2023 at 10:46 PM, harsly said:

I'm gonna hijack this thread to share the "strategy" I'm currently using. It's working wonders (but you need two consoles).

I'm playing my Messiah run on PS5. When I get to a harder part of the game (the library maze which always gets to me, king of the hill, mines...) I open up the game on PS4, play the section that is coming next on there, then after a few consecutive successful attempts on Nightmare I switch over to my PS5. It totally takes away the tension that is (at least for me) a common reason for my failed attempts.

Do note that when you start the game on PS4 you will be booted from the game on PS5, but when you close the game on PS4 and open it again on PS5, the game will resume from where you left off.

I managed to complete the messiah run in the exactly the same way.

Several consecutive successful runs on ps4 then switch to ps5 then rinse and repeat until the end of the game step by step