General tips and suggestions for the game

Joe Dubz

This underplayed gem is mad fun, but it is very challenging on the later levels! I made some pretty good progress last night and completed a run in Rogue Mode, so I'll just share what worked for me:

The Prism Shotgun is OP, it's an energy shotty so you never run out of ammo! You get about 8 or 9 shots on a full charge, which decimates enemies, and it recharges fairly quickly compared to other energy stuff. The Chaingun was also pretty badass, as well as Cluster Grenades and the Mini Nuke rocket launcher. Those Mini Nukes make destroying each system quite simplified. 

The character I went with was Jennet; I love the Heavy MG Burst starting gun they have. I had that with me all the way up to the ship before the Cryptark thx to that Prism Shotgun doing most of the heavy lifting! Also, the Remote Nuke charges they have make destroying the cores a breeze every time and you get 4 of them. You just need to weaken the shield first and don't even need to worry about alarms if they have one, because you can just set it nearby, then move far away and detonate! Your character choice is totally a matter of preference tho, as the other characters seem totally viable depending on your preferred strategy. 

The strategies for Rogue mode vs. Campaign are definitely different. You can play a little more aggressively on Campaign, as your health, ammo, and med packs or whatever they call them refill after each ship. Also, save scumming is definitely an option here, you just need to press the Option button on the ship select screen in between levels, save and quit, then stash that bad boy to the cloud. This is extremely useful if you find a ship that has an Artifact you need, as if you mess up you can reboot it as many times as you need; the ship layout stays the same each time! Also recommended to stash your save prior to starting the Cryptark ship, so you can retry as many times as you want, as well as being able to max out your ammo and spend as much money as you want prior to boarding the ship.

As for Rogue mode, slow and steady wins the race here, since you can't save scum your way through this one. Your ammo and health, etc. won't get refilled each time, so make sure to grab every med pack you find and use them sparingly. It's best to try and use the Health supply drop for a fill up, then use the med packs when you need them. Try to keep them full as this helps take the pressure off immensely! You'll also want to seek out each of the Weapon and Upgrade boxes, since you are eventually going to run out of ammo. If you find a good energy weapon, they are extremely helpful so you don't need to worry about running out of ammo entirely. As was recommended before, the Prism Shotgun was my absolute favorite in this regard. 

When it comes to conquering the Cryptark ship, this daunting beast is no walk in the park! Once again, slow and steady wins the race with this mammoth of a ship. The main priority should be taking out both of the Repair Systems, because they will keep restoring all the other stuff indefinitely. It helps to first clear a path to both of the Repair Systems so you can get to them quickly. The next trick I used in this regard was to destroy the 1st one, then quickly take out the next closest system; reason being that the 2nd Repair system will stop repairing the 1st one, and instead move on to whatever you destroyed 2nd. This gives you more time to make your way to the 2nd Repair System to get them out of the way. I next prioritized taking out the 3 systems that keep spawning the bigger enemies like the Leviathan and Vipers, because once again, they keep spawning more which will hunt you down indefinitely and they are a pain in the ass to keep dealing with! After that, it's up to you if you want to keep taking out other systems (doing so is necessary on Campaign mode for one of the Artifacts/trophies), or just focus on taking out the core's shields to be able to take them down. As mentioned before, saving at least 1 Remote Nuke to set nearby the Core once it's open can make this last part a breeze!

Good luck & I hope this helps any future players make it through! I may decide to do a trophy guide, but we shall see ?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Shiggidy_DoZa said:

Sorry guys, I never get replies so I di9dn;t notice until today. I mostly used the Salamander. The flamethrower is SO good. For the trophies for keeping your loadout low, I would use the Salamander with the least amount of mines I could carry, then as much flamer fuel as I could hold. You basically just rush whatever needs to be destroyed then rush the brain and drop mines on it. mines kill the brain SUPER fast if you're close enough.

RNG plays a huge part in the difficulty. My first few runs I had terrible RNG and thought the game was super cheap but once I got used to it and got some decent RNG I loved it.

Here is another player's suggestion, in case you want to go this route ?

From a walkthrough perspective, are the trophies that don't state "Rogue" also obtainable in that mode or just in Campaign? What's the approach you took? Clear campaign, save-scum when artifacts you want appear, then Rogue mode for the other trophies? For each ship, should you gun straight for the core, or is there an advantage to scouring as much of the ship as possible before doing so?

(Apologies if some of it would be more obvious if I played more - just booted it over lunch and played the first (tutorial?) level. I wasn't sure what would happen when I beat the core, but it kicked me straight out. Unclear if artifacts would have been obtainable otherwise...)

No need to save scum. There are no “no death” trophies and there are no upgrades across playthroughs. Just play the game and when an artifact pops up, go for it. It tells you when a ship has an artifact and tells you exactly how to get it. I only got the items that say “Rogue mode” during rogue mode.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Shiggidy_DoZa said:

No need to save scum. There are no “no death” trophies and there are no upgrades across playthroughs. Just play the game and when an artifact pops up, go for it. It tells you when a ship has an artifact and tells you exactly how to get it. I only got the items that say “Rogue mode” during rogue mode.

So for those that are only available in, say, level 4-5 of the Campaign, will dying bump me back to the very beginning or can I retry for the same artifact after dying? I'm guessing at the very least Rogue Mode forces you to start again (unless their definition of Rogue is very different from mine!)?

3 hours ago, visighost said:

From a walkthrough perspective, are the trophies that don't state "Rogue" also obtainable in that mode or just in Campaign? What's the approach you took? Clear campaign, save-scum when artifacts you want appear, then Rogue mode for the other trophies? For each ship, should you gun straight for the core, or is there an advantage to scouring as much of the ship as possible before doing so?

(Apologies if some of it would be more obvious if I played more - just booted it over lunch and played the first (tutorial?) level. I wasn't sure what would happen when I beat the core, but it kicked me straight out. Unclear if artifacts would have been obtainable otherwise...)

Shiggidy is right, Rogue artifacts are only available on Rogue mode, and vice versa for the campaign ones.

I only mention save scumming so if you screw it up, you can retry the ship again. Otherwise you'd need to do another playthrough to potentially find it again. With that being said, after I got a feel for the game I didn't even need to reload my save for the artifacts anyway!

Highly recommend save scumming the Cryptark ship once you're ready for that, but only if you have a good loadout! Because that ship is brutally hard, and if you reload your ship the layout stays the same, so at least you know what to expect and where!

But more or less you are right, although I did about half of the campaign and then moved on to Rogue mode just to try it out. Ended up liking it so I played that through to completion!

No real benefit to destroying the other systems, other than to make your life a Lil easier. Or if there are contracts you can sometimes earn a lil extra dough for the effort of doing so. Hope this helps @visighost!

Edited by Joe Dubz
  • Like 1

Just now, visighost said:

Thanks! (And unrelated, but I love that you're playing Slime-San. Now THAT is a pretty hard (but great) game... And you look like you're making great progress!)

Haha thanks, it's a ton of fun but def a good challenge! A friend and I actually have a trophy guide in the works, so stay tuned in case you find it interesting enough to buy ?

Just now, visighost said:

Oh I bought it a while ago, cleared the first world and bits of another mode... And then... The next shiny thing showed up? A guide will certainly help! So many URs to get...

I realized after I sent that, you already own it ? I hope then you will find the guide helpful if you go back to it!

Yesssss, so many tasty URs in that game ? Best tip for that is buy the character Kawaii-san, he really makes the game 10x easier ?

• Like 1