How's the difficulty?

I've never played any Experience titles, well, except for Death Mark, which was mostly a horror VN with some of their DPRG mechanics layered on top. I'm not particularly versed in the DRPG genre either, though I have a decent amount of experience with Shin Megami Tensei and a little dip in Etrian Odyssey. So how doable is the platinum for this game? Really interested in supporting more niche games, and the dark tone (and the awesome name) of this game intrigues me.

• 3 months later...

Late response, though as you don't have the game on your list you might still want an answer I'll provide one. I've played a number of Experience titles of this nature and I don't really think it is any more difficult than those. In fact, the mechanic in this where you have 3 modes you can have your characters go into (Do moves for zero cost and they're stronger by 1 level/take half damage and suffer no status effects/always go first) make it I feel easier. Need to heal before the enemies attack or take a guy low on HP out before he hits you? Use the mode to go first. Need to be a bit defensive for a bit as you weaken enemies, go defensive. Want to wipe out the trash mobs without using up your MP, use the power move. Another thing to note that involves these is that previous Experience titles required your physical damage dealers to have a bunch of speed so they could fight effectively, but now they don't need that so you can dump all the points you'd put into speed into strength for more damage. The only classes that need speed is the Bulwark as speed helps with the tanking, and a bit for the Hunter as the Hunter gets a big damage buff move which you'll want cast on your physical attacker before they make their move. Not investing in speed does mean you are going to always have your turn last against enemies but when you can have your healer casting full party heals every turn or use the power to have your whole party go first it ain't an issue. A final thing to note is that you can respect your characters skills, stats, and even class at any time so you do not have to worry about making any mistakes on that end.

The thing to look out for if you're not experienced in these type of games is that while you can use whatever you want obviously, you're going to make it a lot tougher on yourself if you don't use a Bulwark and Cleric. You might not like being forced to use these classes to heavily reduce the difficulty but it is what it is, these types of games are built with the idea in mind that the player is going to do the sensible thing and use a tank and healer character in their party. On the plus side, the classes in this game are more balanced to where you have no reason to use 2 characters of the same class like say Demon Gaze where using 2 Samurais would be superior to using a Samurai + whoever for example. The best advice to give here though is you'll want your melee classes to use different weapon types so you're not say getting an awesome 2H Axe for example and then can't use it because all your melee classes use 1H swords. 

• Like 3