Nightmare Difficulty Is Going To Be A Nightmare

MrTacoNinja

I can already tell it's going to be. The way enemies just constantly spawn behind you, jump out at you from behind walls and doors and other times come at you in packs from all directions is something I'm NOT looking forward to when I start my Nightmare run and I know it's going to give me grief and probably make me rage often. I'm damn near at the last boss fight of the game and I haven't struggled to get by (other than Hell, sort of, when some pretty tough enemies kind of caught me off guard) but this has all been on the easiest setting. But on Nightmare?! Where basically every enemy one-shots you? Fuck me.  :jaymon:

Oh but gee, you get the Soul Cube! Well la-dee-freak'n-da! What good's that when I can only ever use it once every 5 kills and it only ever targets ONE enemy? But it gives you health too! Okay... and? What's the point when your health just drops back down to 25% anyway? Sorry but I just fail to see how it would make Nightmare any easier. 

What's also a pain right in the ass and I see adding to the frustration on Nightmare is the utter HEADACHE of trying to select the damn weapon you want! Why isn't there a weapon wheel instead of having to cycle through all the weapon options to finally get to the weapon I actually need? It's super annoying! During enemy encounters I'm constantly getting hit (while at least trying to run around, dodge and strafe enemy attacks but it's almost impossible to do any of this shit successfully due to the game being one massive, tight corridor of levels) because it takes forever just to get to the goddamn weapon I NEED! I just know it for a fact that this shit here is going to cause me many, many deaths on Nightmare!

If anyone has a god-send method of making Nightmare easier by all means do tell. I'll likely get zero responses (or maybe one or two at the most and usually by the same one or two that ever answer anything I post) but it never hurts to ask. 

Edited by MrTacoNinja

Does this version allow you to save anytime you want? On the PS3 BFG version you can save as much and as often as you want making Nightmare difficulty pretty easy just slow going as you’ll be saving/reloading a lot. I was saving every 30 to 45 seconds or after killing just a single enemy. My overall game time for completing Nightmare was about as quick as on Normal difficulty. The only annoying part is where you need to fall down a shaft to continue but on 25% health it will be fatal meaning you have to get back to 100% then run back to the shaft and fall down before you lose to much health. If you can’t save as often as you want then I have no tips I’m afraid.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FilmFanatic said:

Does this version allow you to save anytime you want? On the PS3 BFG version you can save as much and as often as you want making Nightmare difficulty pretty easy just slow going as you’ll be saving/reloading a lot. I was saving every 30 to 45 seconds or after killing just a single enemy. My overall game time for completing Nightmare was about as quick as on Normal difficulty. The only annoying part is where you need to fall down a shaft to continue but on 25% health it will be fatal meaning you have to get back to 100% then run back to the shaft and fall down before you lose to much health. If you can’t save as often as you want then I have no tips I’m afraid.

Yeah it's exactly like the regular console. Although rocket jumping doesn't seem to work in this version. Is speedrunning Nightmare within 10 hours feasible, do you think?

8 hours ago, MrTacoNinja said:

Yeah it's exactly like the regular console. Although rocket jumping doesn't seem to work in this version. Is speedrunning Nightmare within 10 hours feasible, do you think?

Yeah finishing the game on Nightmare in under 10 hours is doable. My time for Nightmare was somewhere around 9.5 hours I think.

On 2/21/2022 at 10:48 PM, FilmFanatic said:

Yeah finishing the game on Nightmare in under 10 hours is doable. My time for Nightmare was somewhere around 9.5 hours I think.

God help me during some of the later sections on Nightmare. :S

This is one game I wish I had never bought and started.

On 2/21/2022 at 10:48 PM, FilmFanatic said:

On Nightmare did you take it real slow, making sure to be very cautious and careful while taking out all possible threats or did you really haul ass? Like with all speedrun trophies I constantly feel under pressure like I HAVE to really haul ass and as a result I'm getting killed a lot more than I probably would be otherwise. So, can I take it slow so long as it's just not too slow? It doesn't help that the speedrun video I'm watching is making me feel like I have to go fast as well but I want the quickest routes possible because without it (just like with my first playthrough) I'm constantly getting lost or turned around or have no idea what the fuck I'm supposed to even be doing thanks to no mini maps or objective guidance of any kind. 

4 hours ago, MrTacoNinja said:

On Nightmare did you take it real slow, making sure to be very cautious and careful while taking out all possible threats or did you really haul ass? Like with all speedrun trophies I constantly feel under pressure like I HAVE to really haul ass and as a result I'm getting killed a lot more than I probably would be otherwise. So, can I take it slow so long as it's just not too slow? It doesn't help that the speedrun video I'm watching is making me feel like I have to go fast as well but I want the quickest routes possible because without it (just like with my first playthrough) I'm constantly getting lost or turned around or have no idea what the fuck I'm supposed to even be doing thanks to no mini maps or objective guidance of any kind. 

I took it slow. Everything kills you in one hit so rushing in will get you killed. I also got the 10 hour trophy on my first playthrough on Normal so wasn’t rushing on Nightmare.

2 hours ago, FilmFanatic said:

I took it slow. Everything kills you in one hit so rushing in will get you killed. I also got the 10 hour trophy on my first playthrough on Normal so wasn’t rushing on Nightmare.

Thanks for your help unlike this dude above me with that "just quit if it's cumbersome" nonsense. You're on a TROPHY WEBSITE, Melachorn. Post that unhelpful comment somewhere else. Ugh. Hate when people do that shit. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

--UPDATE--

Nightmare was anything but a nightmare. Granted it wasn't exactly easy but it was nowhere near as difficult as I thought it was going to be. Frustrating? Extremely at times! I think if you combined all the times I've died in every single game I've ever played it still wouldn't match that number in this asshole of a game.

I found the difficulty of Nightmare to be incredibly cheap. Seriously, man, it wasn't a fair difficulty, it was a CHEAP difficulty! Anyway, Nightmare is completed and I unlocked my speedrun trophy as well (because I missed it by a long shot on my initial palythrough). Total time: 4:06:49. Not bad at all for a Nightmare run. 

PS) I humbly eat my words and take back my sarcasm and doubt about the Soul Cube. This damn thing was invaluable and saved my ass quite a few times.

--Resurrection of Evil DLC Update--

The Resurrection of Evil DLC on Nightmare was nowhere even remotely close to how frustrating the regular campaign was and for two reasons:

#1) It was a hell of a lot shorter! It didn't drag on and on and on like the main campaign did.

#2) Maaaan... screw that Soul Cube! The Artifact is the bomb diggity!

I wish the Artifact was what you got in the main campaign because if you couple it with the Berserk ability (also exclusive only to this DLC) it's a straight up cheat code that you can spam quite regularly to get out of tricky situations! Not only can you slow down time with the Artifact, but after defeating the second boss you get the Berserk ability as well that not only kills every enemy (except bosses) with one hit but also makes you invincible! The berserk effect lasts until time goes back to normal so you're looking at a good 15 seconds or so. The Artifact carries three charges at once (so you can spam it back to back to back if you want) and there are plenty of dead bodies throughout the DLC campaign to regenerate your charges. Do you realize how OP this is?

The trophy guide author for the PS3 version (the only trophy guide on this site for Doom 3) stated that RoS on Nightmare will likely be the hardest trophy for the platinum and I seriously have no idea what he was smoking when he wrote the guide because that just isn't the case at all here, especially when you factor in that unbelievably overpowered Artifact and its slow-down-time/berserk capabilities! 

PS) If you're reading this and you're new to Doom (like I was) the Artifact slows down time considerably by pressing left on the D-pad. Once you defeat the second boss you'll have the Berserk ability that's activated by pressing right on the D-pad but will only activate if you slow down time first so press left on your D-pad to slow down time, then immediately press right on your D-pad. Enjoy one-shotting everything with your fists while being completely invulnerable. And one more thing: don't use the double-barreled shotgun like the guide suggests "not to sleep on" or whatever it was he said. The regular shotgun is just as powerful and doesn't take 50 million years to reload in between shots.

--Lost Mission DLC Update & Final Update--

This DLC was the most difficult as far as I'm concerned compared to the base game and RoS DLC. Damn near from the start they're throwing everything and the kitchen sink at you, bombarding you with regular enemies and heavy hitters to the point that it's just downright obnoxious! By the time I got to the end of the DLC and the boss fight I had next to no ammo left for any of the weapons that mattered (BFG, rocket launcher, etc.) because they throw so many goddamn damage sponge tanks at you it's ridiculous! To those that have yet to play this DLC be forewarned: From the level Hell and onward it is an utter fucking spamfest of heavy hitter elite enemies. Very, very frustrating.

Now that I've platinumed Doom 3 I have to say that this game was one of the most tedious and frustrating pieces of shit I have ever played in my life! I'm so glad it's over. Had I known then what I do now I wouldn't have ever played it because trophies just aren't worth this amount of aggravation and the game itself sucked ass. I didn't enjoy it one bit.

I've closed this thread as I see no point in keeping it open otherwise.

Edited by MrTacoNinja
  • Like 1