[Spoilers] Devs: Please don't make a sequel with the same story, Don't become Ubisoft!

14 hours ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

Never played it, but knowing how little story those kinds of games tend to have, I don’t have to.

I have to question whether you are even being serious at this point. I agree that FromSoftware games tend to make the player look a little harder into the lore by having them inspect item descriptions and such; however, Elden Ring presents a nice balance between Dark Souls and Sekiro levels of story telling. Plus George R. R. Martin, author of A Song of Ice and Fire, which was turned into the Emmy Award-winning HBO series Game of Thrones, helped set the basis and mythos for the story! How can you say it is trash without even playing it?

There's a reason Elden Ring sold more copies than Horizon Forbidden West for the month of February, even taking into account only Playstation sales, despite only releasing in the last 4 days of that month.

22 hours ago, jonesey46 said:

snip

I pretty much saw what this game was likely going to be about long before it even released.

So far out of all the open world games I've played over the past 10 years, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt wins hands down in terms of story execution. Red Dead Redemption 1 is perhaps a close second to me. These are of course my own personal choices, for others they may be entirely different from mine.

I wasn't impressed with the first Horizon Zero Dawn. For the time, it looked great even on OG PS4 consoles. But looking back, there is no way in hell I'd be playing it a second time. Aloy was alright, but not exactly a character I could bond with. NPC interactions in the game were utterly stale compared with The Witcher 3. Side quests and side content were far more formulaic as well.

I basically blame Horizon Zero Dawn for starting the trend of graphically impressive open worlds, but with little to no inspiration. Throw a bunch of standard trophies, with a couple more difficult trophies here and there. Then add on a tacked on New Game Plus mode that wasn't added until later in the game.

Marvel's Spider-Man and Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales both put a huge emphasis on story and graphical presentation, with the same open world objectives that I've seen in every other open world game. Sure, they're still good games, but in my opinion they simply aren't as grand as people make them out to be.

Guerrilla Games however is still much better than Ubisoft, who have basically become the fast food of gaming. Horizon Forbidden West is a far better and much more polished game in contrast to Far Cry 6 or Assassin's Creed Valhalla. Still, I think this game deserves a lot of criticism. I haven't even played the game at all so I can't comment on the actual story or the gameplay. I'm playing one open world game right now (Yakuza Kiwami 2) and people seem to love a buttload of cinematic cutscenes, which I don't seem to understand.

19 hours ago, Tsundokuist said:

I think HFW suffers in comparison to HZD because the first game was building a world more than it was ever telling a story and that’s just something that a video game is tooled to do a lot more successfully. I mean personally, I can’t think of a single video game that has a notably enjoyable or even memorable story.

The least enjoyable game I’ve ever played (God of War 2018) is that way because it puts it’s attempt to tell a story so front and centre at the expense of providing anything beyond the absolute bare minimum of what could be considered gameplay.

Conversely, what I would consider the greatest games ever (Zelda, Mario, Mega Man, Castlevania) have the most stupid and reductive single-line stories that each series recycle from game to game as an afterthought. Either it’s rescue princess and defeat big bad or it’s a butchered preschool version of Astro Boy/Dracula… but those games don’t suffer one bit from that, they don’t need it, story is just a crutch to move things along in any good video game.

Even games I would say are great in part because of narrative elements all come with caveats. GTA V succeeds with bombastic set pieces and excellent characters but a game with 100s of MacGuffins on a map and dozens of lengthy taxi missions will always struggle with pacing and plot delivery. Bioshock creates a fantastic world but once that backstory is explained it’s all ludicrous and full of holes. Finally, Spider-Man / Miles Morales get by on the strength of and our affinity for the license but I’d argue the story experience in either game is actually quite mediocre compared to their contemporary movies (into the Spiderverse, No Way Home etc).

Video games just aren’t an optimum delivery method for a story. They’re like buying a Lego version of the Mona Lisa. It’s more interactive and therefore more fun but at the end what you’re looking at isn’t on the level of a Da Vinci painting but that’s not the point of the experience.

You're speaking purely from an old school standpoint and this is the same opinion of many gamers I converse with that grew up on the hobby back in the 1980s and 1990s.

I'm playing Yakuza Kiwami 2 and it's chock full of cinematic cutscenes, to the point where I'm beginning to wonder if I'm actually playing a game more than I'm watching a movie. Hideo Kojima started a lot of these cinematic experiences with the Metal Gear Solid franchise. He was basically ahead of his time, in an era where the primary focus, especially for western born developers, was to simply make satisfying gameplay.

Just try to play Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots today and tell me you're having just as much fun as you did back in 2008 when it came out. You'd probably say no.

Zelda, Mario, Mega Man and Castlevania are timeless because they never focused on delivering a decent story. It was all about the gameplay. In Zelda it's about exploring those dungeons, figuring out those convoluted puzzles, finding that special item only found in that dungeon, and using that as the boss weakness.

I can appreciate the technical marvel and achievement of Horizon Forbidden West, but I can theorize that 10 - 20 years from now, people will have quite a different opinion of it.

• Like 3

On 4/6/2022 at 6:42 AM, DarkHpokinsn said:

Lol I’m sorry this is about the stupidest thing I’ve ever read, thus you go and prove his point about you having bad taste. Elden Ring is terrible story wise, I don’t even have to play it to know that, Horizon is definitely better written, and a better story overall. No indie game could do a better story. Elden Ring is soooo overrated. You have terribly bad taste.  

Yes, I couldn't help noticing from your trophy list that you haven't even played Elden Ring. How could you know how much bad taste it is if you haven't even seen it?

I guess story wise though, something more akin to "The Ketchup Story", seems more up your alley. That's definitely not in the "bad taste" category I guess?

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, enaysoft said:

Yes, I couldn't help noticing from your trophy list that you haven't even played Elden Ring. How could you know how much bad taste it is if you haven't even seen it?

I guess story wise though, something more akin to "The Ketchup Story", seems more up your alley. That's definitely not in the "bad taste" category I guess?

I envy your sarcasm skills

16 hours ago, enaysoft said:

This isn’t about me. That’s not really “my taste” I play some games because they have an easy plat. Not to mention, I can play difficult games, I have a long history trophy wise, I just don’t on purpose play really difficult games, I just don’t find that fun. God forbid I don’t wanna play your beloved game. 

On 4/6/2022 at 2:22 PM, FrostyMcNugs said:

I have to question whether you are even being serious at this point. I agree that FromSoftware games tend to make the player look a little harder into the lore by having them inspect item descriptions and such; however, Elden Ring presents a nice balance between Dark Souls and Sekiro levels of story telling. Plus George R. R. Martin, author of A Song of Ice and Fire, which was turned into the Emmy Award-winning HBO series Game of Thrones, helped set the basis and mythos for the story! How can you say it is trash without even playing it?

There's a reason Elden Ring sold more copies than Horizon Forbidden West for the month of February, even taking into account only Playstation sales, despite only releasing in the last 4 days of that month.

Yeah the reason is because there’s a shit ton of suckers that don’t know what a good game actually is. I can say it’s trash because I have no interest, enjoy the shit all you want, I just have no interest. 

On 4/6/2022 at 3:28 AM, pavelbagirov said:

What I don’t know? Sylense is around 10 min overall in the game and Regalla probably less

They were in it a perfect amount, any more would be too much for this story. 

Edited by DarkHpokinsn

1 hour ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

Yeah the reason is because there’s a shit ton of suckers that don’t know what a good game actually is. I can say it’s trash because I have no interest, enjoy the shit all you want, I just have no interest.

You're just biased against From Software. There, I said it for you.

I'm not all too big of fan of From Software either. I've played only three titles from them out of their library, so I'm literally several years behind at this point.

I can spit in the face of From Software fans and tell them they idolize their games too much. That doesn't make me any more of an asshole than some of the posts you're making here. I can say anything is trash because I'm not interested in it. That's your personal opinion, and people shouldn't automatically account for some games being objectively and fundamentally trash because some random dude on the internet said so.

From Software fanboys and the people who claim Dark Souls is one of the worst games they ever played are both full of their own crap. I actually had an argument with someone here a couple years back who claimed Dark Souls Remastered was quite literally one of the worst games he ever played. His opinion was utter tripe to me. All he proved was he held a personal grudge against From Software. Then he stated that Nioh was equally as bad, which again, made his opinion tripe.

• Like 2