No PS4 to PS5 upgrade

GibsonIV

• 3 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, NewDust said:

It finally launched outside of Japan, but I'm not seeing an upgrade option.

There is, when you search for the game on a PS5 you get an £8.99 upgrade option - it contains the game, Llama of wolf street, El Prez pack and a soundtrack.

I have the digital copy - if you have a physical and can't see the upgrade, it may not be live yet

Don't have a disc (or any version) to try out. Usually it at least surfaces upgrade possibilities in the store, so this might be a hidden one where ot only shows if you actually own the game. I intend to pickup a PS4 copy, if it is confirmed the disc version also has an upgrade path.

16 hours ago, NewDust said:

Don't have a disc (or any version) to try out. Usually it at least surfaces upgrade possibilities in the store, so this might be a hidden one where ot only shows if you actually own the game. I intend to pickup a PS4 copy, if it is confirmed the disc version also has an upgrade path.

Yeah, it only appears if you own the game as it's a discount which is applied if upgrading.

After playing 5 hours of the PS5 version, it's not that different tbh. I'm gonna email the PR to check out a few questions I have about it, but so far it's pretty much just a 4k version of the same game with the additional DLC and soundtrack. 

You can bump the number of people living in your city to 10k though - I'm not sure if you could on the ps4 version. 

• Like 3

The NA PSN store does have a PS5 upgrade for the PS4 disc. It costs $9.99 dollars US. I'm only seeing it offered once my disc is loaded into a PS5 console, though. 

The second question I had was whether PS5 trophies auto-pop. After looking at trophy profiles of players who have both versions, it appears this is not the case.

The final question is whether you can import PS4 saves into the PS5 version. This would save hours. I didn't enjoy Tropico 6 nearly as much as Tropico 5, and don't intend to replay fifteen missions from scratch if PS4 saves cannot be imported. 4K resolution on a tedious game is smoke and mirrors.

Edited by poetic_justice_
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, poetic_justice_ said:

The NA PSN store does have a PS5 upgrade for the PS4 disc. It costs $9.99 dollars US. I'm only seeing it offered once my disc is loaded into a PS5 console, though. 

The second question I had was whether PS5 trophies auto-pop. After looking at trophy profiles of players who have both versions, it appears this is not the case.

The final question is whether you can import PS4 saves into the PS5 version. This would save hours. I didn't enjoy Tropico 6 nearly as much as Tropico 5, and don't intend to replay fifteen missions from scratch if PS4 saves cannot be imported. 4K resolution on a tedious game is smoke and mirrors.

No save import and no auto-pop. 

• Like 1

On 4/4/2022 at 0:42 AM, turniplord said:

Do you have any information about if you purchase the upgraded PS5 version for $9.99 with the PS4 disc that it requires the disc to be present every time to load the PS5 version of the game?

AKA, can I sell my disc afterward and have the PS5 for good?

On 4/4/2022 at 0:42 AM, turniplord said:

Thank you for confirming this, turniplord. Given Limbic Entertainment's past actions, this lack of gamer-friendly service is not surprising.

EDIT: After playing the game on PS5, there is 0% autopop. All trophies must be earned a second time on PS5.

On 4/7/2022 at 4:35 PM, Doubleofox said:

Do you have any information about if you purchase the upgraded PS5 version for $9.99 with the PS4 disc that it requires the disc to be present every time to load the PS5 version of the game?

AKA, can I sell my disc afterward and have the PS5 for good?

Yes, the PS4 disc needs to be present for the PS5 version to play. This practice is normal for PS4 disc games with a PS5 upgrade. Otherwise, multiple players could exchange one PS4 disc between multiple PS5s, only paying $10 for a full PS5 game on each player's profile. Kalypso Media and Limbic Entertainment could potentially lose thousands of dollars due to digital theft.  

Edited by poetic_justice_

• 9 months later...
On 4/13/2022 at 4:42 PM, poetic_justice_ said:

Thank you for confirming this, turniplord. Given Limbic Entertainment's past actions, this lack of gamer-friendly service is not surprising.

EDIT: After playing the game on PS5, there is 0% autopop. All trophies must be earned a second time on PS5.

Yes, the PS4 disc needs to be present for the PS5 version to play. This practice is normal for PS4 disc games with a PS5 upgrade. Otherwise, multiple players could exchange one PS4 disc between multiple PS5s, only paying $10 for a full PS5 game on each player's profile. Kalypso Media and Limbic Entertainment could potentially lose thousands of dollars due to digital theft.  

Thank you for confirming. I was not sure if I wanted to replay the whole game again or not. If it auto popped then there would be no hesitation in buying it.

On 2/10/2023 at 6:53 AM, StressEater said:

Thank you for confirming. I was not sure if I wanted to replay the whole game again or not. If it auto popped then there would be no hesitation in buying it.

Yes, the whole game must be played a second time if anyone wants the second platinum on PS5. No shortcuts are available.