Damage Dodger

DexTepa

So, yeah, Damage Dodger is the main obstacle to platting the game, and it is one massive, *colossal* obstacle. Unless you have some serious 2D action game experience under your belt, don't even consider it. If you've beaten Battle Kid or gotten 50 Gold in Mega Man Legacy Collection, then you can definitely handle it. It took me about 40 hours, but I spent a lot of times checking walls for secrets (and I still ended up missing a couple of hidden rooms).

Picking up Armor Augments will *not* prevent you from getting the trophy. They don't really help much, but, yeah, they're safe to pick up. The one augment you might want to skip is the item pull one in the Poison Pavilion. That one could become an issue when using Last Stand.

Indeed, Last Stand is what I relied on in all the bosses after the first few. You get delicious double damage, but you can't afford to take a single hit (aside from possibly one to actually trigger Last Stand). You wouldn't be able to take many hits anyway, so I'd say this is clearly optimal.

I have videos of all the bosses (and some of trickiest parts in the final dungeon) on my YouTube channel. Here's the final boss, for instance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFIlzLz7ZI0

The final boss took me 2 and a half hours, but I could've wrapped it up sooner if I'd known how things work in the final phase (this was the third time I made it there). The RNG with the green balls in the second phase is your main concern. If you can manage to get familiar with the behavior of the balls, you don't have to rely so much on favorable RNG. Move as little as possible until it's time to jump over Ardur's charge attack. Note that the staff itself can't damage you, but that hardly matters, since there are usually a bunch of balls flying around.

Oh, and here's where I did the grind for King. You need 125 grand just to expand your bank limit to 50k. The trophy description says 'more than 50 000,' but that's not really accurate; you just need to reach 50 000. You don't have to exceed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScoYOL-u5sU

And, now... my thumb needs rest.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So just to confirm you CAN'T buy any armor upgrades or new armor from the shop but CAN get upgrades found throughout the world? 

Just wanna make sure since I think I bought a small upgrade to the base armor so I may have to start over but thankfully I'm not too far

Also once you clear the game and pop the trophy I'm assuming you can reload the save and buy the armor upgrades to pop the other trophies while cleaning up other various trophies as well

All the little upgrades are fine (start with more HP after dying, 1% chance to avoid damage, etc.). You just have to keep the default red armor. Every armor has a different color, so as long as you're red, you're good.

One of the little upgrades is kind of elusive, since you get it from an NPC in the forest village after beating the Blood Knot. I almost got a heart attack when I got that, sinice I didn't know yet that the little upgrades were safe to pick up.

And, yeah, once you beat the game and get the trophy, you can just clean up whatever is left (I missed the last gargoyle myself, because I didn't realize what the switch inside the wall does). A single playthrough is enough - *if* you can handle the challenge.

• 3 months later...

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2837090622

i am having a hard time unlocking the trophy FULLY PROTECTED, it does not unlock..

i have the same stats like the guide and collected everything in this game..

7 extra hearts after death (7 collectibles)

6% chance to avoid damage (6 collectibles)

100% freeze resist (4 collectibles)

4 reduced seconds of bottle cooldown (4 collectibles)

loot magnet (1 collectible)

reduced damage knockback time (1 collectible)

after the credits it says i have 22/23 Armor Augmentations

can someone help?

i think it glitched on me

Edited by PETMAN3000

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 9/14/2022 at 11:15 AM, PETMAN3000 said:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2837090622

i am having a hard time unlocking the trophy FULLY PROTECTED, it does not unlock..

i have the same stats like the guide and collected everything in this game..

7 extra hearts after death (7 collectibles)

6% chance to avoid damage (6 collectibles)

100% freeze resist (4 collectibles)

4 reduced seconds of bottle cooldown (4 collectibles)

loot magnet (1 collectible)

reduced damage knockback time (1 collectible)

after the credits it says i have 22/23 Armor Augmentations

can someone help?

i think it glitched on me

On 9/17/2022 at 2:25 PM, PETMAN3000 said:

ok... deleting the game and reinstalling solved the problem.. trophy popped instantly

I just had this exact same problem, collected the last armour augmentation in Ardur's Domain and no trophy. Deleted and reinstalled, and still nothing. Do you have to beat Ardur for this trophy to pop? I've also been playing without upgrading my armour, would this affect the trophy? 

EDIT: I beat Ardur, and had it say 22/23 armor augmentations after the credits. I have the same stats you have noted above, meaning I have collected all 23. I deleted and reinstalled and still nothing, did the trophy pop right after loading your save? And did you play on a PS4 or PS5? 

Edited by coldhardcrash_

On 10/4/2023 at 10:38 PM, PETMAN3000 said:

i played on PS5. it popped after i reinstalled the game, right after i loaded the game. i also contacted the developer @EricLavesson on twitter. he said he would take care of it but didnt contact me anymore 😐

I played on PS5 as well, just finished another run about 10 minutes ago (this time on my PS4) and the trophy didn't pop again. Seems unlikely for it to glitch twice, I was extremely vigilant in making sure I collected every augmentation. It's odd, because a friend that played the game had no problems with the trophy at all. 

I also deleted/reinstalled on both the PS4 and PS5, no luck again. It's extremely frustrating. Did you happen to use the teleporting compass to cut out backtracking? I used it excessively and I'm wondering if that somehow messed up something on the way. 

I did email Eric Lavesson after the first time it glitched on me, he replied a few days later with this:

Sorry to hear that you have issues. I will take a look and see if I can see anything in the code that could cause that. We haven't gotten any other reports of it, so it might be a one-off bug that could prove to be hard to reproduce. We have fail safes that *should* kick in when restarting the game if a trophy was missed, so if you haven't tried it yet, see if you can kill the game fully and restart it (although you might have already tried this).

Thanks for letting us know!

No idea if he's actually going to issue a fix but in the off chance he does, I have a save with one augmentation remaining that I can reload.