Elder Scrolls Online won't require Playstation Plus

Lady Lilith

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-elder-scrolls-online-won-t-require-playstation-plus/1100-6417398/

2052009-669684_20130822_002.jpg

Upcoming MMO The Elder Scrolls Online will not require a PlayStation Plus subscription, ZeniMax Online Studios has said.

"A PlayStation Plus membership is not required to play The Elder Scrolls Online," game director Matt Firor said on the PlayStation Blog. "PS4 players will only be required to pay the same monthly subscription associated with The Elder Scrolls Online that PC and Mac users will pay--nothing more."

PlayStation Plus, which costs $49.99 a year, is normally required for PlayStation 4 owners to play online games. Bethesda has also said it is "pushing" Microsoft to remove the need for Xbox One owners to have Xbox Live Gold accounts for the game.

A retail copy of The Elder Scrolls Online comes with a 30-day subscription to the MMO, but players are then required to spend $14.99 (€12.99/£8.99) a month to keep playing.

Does the lack of a PlayStation Plus requirement make you more tempted to pick up the game?

The Elder Scrolls Online launches for PC and Mac in April, with the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 versions coming later in the year.

Nice for those who don't want to pay for PS Plus for whatever crazy reason :P

While I'm not interested in MMOs to begin with, I'm a bit put off by the fact that its (or I'm assuming will be) priced at $60 on top of already requiring a rather pricey subscription.

I can see it still drawing in MMO fans as well as some Elder Scrolls fans, but with the rising popularity of cheap and services like Netflix or PS Plus which have some very visible value to them, I think gamers new to MMOs, especially console gamers, will have trouble seeing the value in investing so much money on a single game.

Then again WoW did fantasically well, but I don't think this will come close to outdoing WoW.

I always assumed they wouldn't require PS+. Who would pay $30 a month to play an MMO?

It says $15/month in the first post, and in all articles I've seen.

Edited by rsoto1125
  • Like 1

Nice for those who don't want to pay for PS Plus for whatever crazy reason :P

While I'm not interested in MMOs to begin with, I'm a bit put off by the fact that its (or I'm assuming will be) priced at $60 on top of having to pay a subscription.

It says $15/month in the first post, and in all articles I've seen.

I was counting the price of Elder Scrolls Online ($15) plus the PS+ payment that would've been on top of that. Also, my mistake, for some reason I thought PS+ was $15 a month.

So it would actually be $20 a month to play Elder Scrolls Online if PS+ was required.