Just got the plat on Stellaris. Happy to answer questions.

1 hour ago, overdrive02 said:

what is the best race to start with for noobies 

Generally, when it comes to races, average biological races like humans with their ethics and all are the most complex if you go by race alone, having to manage the most resources, having to manage citizen happiness, climate adaptability, different species rights and living standards, keeping factions happy etc, they can be made more complex with tougher origins. If you find that to be overwhelming, an easier start would be a hive mind as any biological race, as they have to manage one resource less (consumer goods) than the others, and generally do not have to bother with almost all the aforementioned things aside from climate adaptability, making them by far easier to handle for a new player who feels overwhelmed by it all at first.

If you want it even more simplistic, then you could go for a machine intelligence, as they have to worry about even fewer resources (they don't have to worry about food and consumer goods), and also not having to worry about climate adaptability, though maybe about managing foreign citizens from worlds taken via war, but you can set them all to be thrown out or killed by default if you don't wish to deal with that stuff in detail, making machine empires the easiest empires to learn some of the common basic mechanics with.

Also I recommend not bothering with the tutorial at all, Paradox Interactive tutorials are notoriously terrible, you are way better off watching a youtube video from someone who knows his stuff about the very basic mechanics instead, and then trying it out.

Edited by Dauersack

• 1 month later...
On 2/7/2024 at 9:47 AM, overdrive02 said:

what is the best race to start with for noobies 

On 2/7/2024 at 10:33 AM, downsideupuk said:

Humans - Follow the tutorial

Specifically the United Nations of Earth pre made empire, do not use the Commonwealth of Man. It is because the commonwealth possess the xenophobe trait which makes AI empires more likely to not like you and declare war on you

On 2/7/2024 at 11:34 AM, Dauersack said:

Generally, when it comes to races, average biological races like humans with their ethics and all are the most complex if you go by race alone, having to manage the most resources, having to manage citizen happiness, climate adaptability, different species rights and living standards, keeping factions happy etc, they can be made more complex with tougher origins. If you find that to be overwhelming, an easier start would be a hive mind as any biological race, as they have to manage one resource less (consumer goods) than the others, and generally do not have to bother with almost all the aforementioned things aside from climate adaptability, making them by far easier to handle for a new player who feels overwhelmed by it all at first.

If you want it even more simplistic, then you could go for a machine intelligence, as they have to worry about even fewer resources (they don't have to worry about food and consumer goods), and also not having to worry about climate adaptability, though maybe about managing foreign citizens from worlds taken via war, but you can set them all to be thrown out or killed by default if you don't wish to deal with that stuff in detail, making machine empires the easiest empires to learn some of the common basic mechanics with.

Also I recommend not bothering with the tutorial at all, Paradox Interactive tutorials are notoriously terrible, you are way better off watching a youtube video from someone who knows his stuff about the very basic mechanics instead, and then trying it out.

I would actually avoid machine empires, new players will miss out on diplomacy and declaring war because AI empires tend to be incredible hostile to the 2/3 premade empires. Gestalt empires also dont have any diplomacy options, if any at all.

Edited by wackt1

On 3/31/2024 at 11:46 PM, wackt1 said:

I would actually avoid machine empires, new players will miss out on diplomacy and declaring war because AI empires tend to be incredible hostile to the 2/3 premade empires. Gestalt empires also dont have any diplomacy options, if any at all.

Missing out on certain mechanics for the time being is the main reason why I recommended a machine empire. As a long time player of any Paradox Interactive style game it becomes easy to forget how overwhelming it all can be at the beginning. Going from machine empire to hive mind to a genocide one species biological and then finally to a somewhat balanced biological will confront you with new mechanics each time, making it easier to get into as what you have learned mostly stays the same, so most of your focus can be on the new mechanics as the old ones become a routine thing. I myself have learned different Paradox Games with both methods, so I can confirm that the method of easing into new mechanics playthrough by playthrough is as valid as doing the deep end method, it depends on the person which one is preferable.