Enhanced Game Trading Functionality...

antithesis

Just tossing this out there as a suggestion to improve the Game Trading functionality, which currently exists as a thread here at PSNP.

One of my clients recently asked me to improve the functionality of a Trading Room we have setup on one their forums. The problem they wanted to overcome was shady trades with new members - even though the site owners take no responsibility for the outcome of a trade, members didn't have confidence in it and weren't using it.

I don't know how applicable that is to PSNP (not much trading going on...), but the new system we implemented has seen a spike in usage as members now have a level of confidence that they're not going to be ripped off.

The first plugin I used is http://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/4560-extra-forum-entrance-permissionssettings/

To access the Trading Room, members can be restricted by Posts, Number of Threads, Reputation (Likes), Days Registered, Age, or any combination thereof. In other words, you need to be an active and trusted member of the community to trade.

The second is http://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/3366-trader-feedback-system/.

The Trader Feedback plugin can be restricted to specific forums (i.e. the positive / negative feedback only shows in the Trading Room), though the Trader's rep does appear on their profiles for all to see. Members participating in trades can offer simple feedback about their experience, much like the Feedback you offer on an eBay transaction. Trustworthy members are easy to identify, as are the dodgy dealers.

Food for thought  :hmm:

Edited by ant1th3s1s
  • Like 1

Although I dont use it, this does seem like a good solution for trades. I'm rarely on that part, but are there many trades? If not do you think that it is due to a lack of visibilty if trading reputation? I know I will only buy online after companies meet certain criteria so it does make sense.

Worth thinking about of nothing more :)

As PSNP doesn't take any responsibility for trades, and since it doesn't get used much, why should Sly use the time to implement any kind of system? Sounds like time that could be focused on more important parts of the sites.

I doubt any kind of system would make much of a difference anyway. Unless they turn it into a ban-able offense, people will still screw other people over.

As PSNP doesn't take any responsibility for trades, and since it doesn't get used much, why should Sly use the time to implement any kind of system? Sounds like time that could be focused on more important parts of the sites.

I doubt any kind of system would make much of a difference anyway. Unless they turn it into a ban-able offense, people will still screw other people over.

It takes $35 and an hour at most to setup a Game Trades forum (optionally with Country / Region sub-forums), write a set of trading rules, buy and install the two plugins. 

We already have the capacity to trade games now. A trader rep system instills greater confidence than flying blind - trust is the key in any transaction. 

One additional feature to the site couldn't hurt. It's simple, it's cost-effective and it's not necessarily intended to attract new people to the site, but to encourage more trading between veteran, trusted, money-conscious members.

As trophy hunters we're at the top of the food chain. We buy more games than anyone with fast turnaround, which means the games should be recent releases in good to near mint condition. Why spend money on games when you can trade them with confidence on these boards?

If you're a douche, you're quickly found out, so what's the point? The Extra Forum Permissions takes care of the bulk of the riff-raff and tyre-kickers before they can even enter into a trade.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

It takes $35 and an hour at most to setup a Game Trades forum (optionally with Country / Region sub-forums), write a set of trading rules, buy and install the two plugins. 

We already have the capacity to trade games now. A trader rep system instills greater confidence than flying blind - trust is the key in any transaction. 

One additional feature to the site couldn't hurt. It's simple, it's cost-effective and it's not necessarily intended to attract new people to the site, but to encourage more trading between veteran, trusted, money-conscious members.

As trophy hunters we're at the top of the food chain. We buy more games than anyone with fast turnaround, which means the games should be recent releases in good to near mint condition. Why spend money on games when you can trade them with confidence on these boards?

If you're a douche, you're quickly found out, so what's the point? The Extra Forum Permissions takes care of the bulk of the riff-raff and tyre-kickers before they can even enter into a trade.

If it was as simple as installing a plugin, why hasn't it been done for game sessions yet? I'm seriously asking, I didn't think it would be that easy.

Honestly though, why bother when the current thread only has 7 pages since starting is Dec 2011? It may only take $35 and an hour to setup, but that's $35 and an hour that could still be put to use elsewhere. Considering how cheap premium memberships are, I can't imagine Sly has piles of money sitting around to put into the site. I'm sure most, if not all, of it goes into paying for the servers.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be a neat feature, I just don't see the point of it on this specific forum. There doesn't seem to be any real demand for it and I don't think many people would join in if a rep system was introduced. If the current thread was even somewhat active, then it'd be something to think about, but it's not active at all. It gets a few posts for a day or two then stays dead for a few months, then repeats. Looking through the thread, it's mostly just the same few people over and over, one of which is now banned too.

Personally, I would never trade games on any forum, rep system or not. Too many things could go wrong, and since no one is liable if something does go wrong, you're just out a game or 3(if you did a large trade). Which could mean you're out up to a couple hundred dollars. It's much safer and easier to just sell on amazon and use that money to buy more games.

I think the idea would be great if we had a somewhat active trading community already, but since there isn't, I just don't see it getting any use here.

Gaming Sessions have nothing to do with forum settings I believe, hence the plugin wouldnt work (i may be wrong though)

I must admit that I do feel that game trades in genral are a waste of time these days. By the time you've paid for delivery etc. You may as well have got it online.

I still think it could work when people are closer together though

If it was as simple as installing a plugin, why hasn't it been done for game sessions yet? I'm seriously asking, I didn't think it would be that easy.

It is that easy for a Trading forum, I've done it myself. Gaming Sessions aren't run through the Invision Powerboard core, hence it's custom code Sly needs to write. This code may prove useful for broader application, only Sly will know.

The demand may not be there because most people aren't aware of it. Make it a feature - seriously...$35 is pocket change to a site of this scale - and people will use it. There's nothing to lose but an hour and a handful of bucks.

It is that easy for a Trading forum, I've done it myself. Gaming Sessions aren't run through the Invision Powerboard core, hence it's custom code Sly needs to write. This code may prove useful for broader application, only Sly will know.

The demand may not be there because most people aren't aware of it. Make it a feature - seriously...$35 is pocket change to a site of this scale - and people will use it. There's nothing to lose but an hour and a handful of bucks.

I see. That makes sense then.

I'd say this thread should be used to see if there's any demand. If people want it, speak up. Otherwise, it's safe to assume it'd be waste of money. I just don't think Sly has money pouring out of his ears from the site, and the money shouldn't be used on features that likely won't be used. A one time, and optional, fee of $10 can't bring in a steady stream of revenue.

I see. That makes sense then.

I'd say this thread should be used to see if there's any demand. If people want it, speak up. Otherwise, it's safe to assume it'd be waste of money. I just don't think Sly has money pouring out of his ears from the site, and the money shouldn't be used on features that likely won't be used. A one time, and optional, fee of $10 can't bring in a steady stream of revenue.

If Sly's that tight for funds, I'll fork out the bucks  :facepalm:

As I said, it's just one more string to the bow. If you want to provide a one-stop-shop for all things trophy-related, here's a cheap way to implement a feature that some people are going to use. The simple fact is most of us won't, just as most people don't use Game Sessions, Chat, Trophy Cards or Forums, but those who do can do it with it a higher level of confidence.

Again, we're talking 1 hour and $35. That my friend is a tiny expense that *could* lead to greater interest in the site and more Premium subscribers. I'd say that's a minuscule price to pay to attract another target audience to the site. In the end, this is a very cheap and simple suggestion to improve an existing and completely under-utilised site feature that Sly himself created. It's entirely in his hands and it doesn't require a Yes / No vote from the membership for approval.

Furthermore, assuming Sly wants to boost revenue streams, why not toss Classifieds into the mix? - http://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/4037-classifieds/. It doesn't have to be spammy or tacky with banners plastered all over the site (which is the exact opposite of what anyone wants), but could be a sub-forum to allow for Buy / Sell transactions between members and hooks into the Trader Feedback system. Either charge a nominal fee of $1 to list games for sale, or offer to list them for free for Premium subscribers to engender further goodwill in the community and as an additional carrot to pay for a subscription.

If you want to blow the competition out of the water, go the full hog and do something the other guys haven't remotely considered. We've already got .com on the ropes, .org is gonna shit a brick over the new Trophy Guides system and Trophy Leaders has no community to speak of, so let's stick it to them by enhancing some of the community features here at PSNP. Tuck both Game Trades (Trader Feedback) and Game Sales (Classifieds) behind a Premium subscription and you've got additional cash-flow. All for the measly cost of $70 (which I'll gladly pay, no strings attached) and two hours work. If it fails, no harm, no foul and lesson learnt.

Just tossing it out there...chances are Sly won't implement either a Trading Room or a Classifieds section, which is no skin off my nose. However, there are easy and cheap ways to implement them and they can lead to more members, more Premium subscribers and additional revenue streams without resorting to advertising, which we know ain't gonna happen, so what's the harm in letting him know?

Edited by ant1th3s1s
  • Like 2