Japanese games with dlc trophies on western account

DrZero_1983

Let's say that I have a ps3 game on disc that I imported from Japan because it never came out in the west.

I know that I can play the game and get trophies on my usual ps3 account set to my country (even if the game will be completely in japanese), but what about the game's dlc and the dlc's trophies?

I know there's a very complex way of purchasing games and dlcs from Japan's psn store, that involves creating a japanese account on my ps3 and other things, but then on my country's account will I see the downloaded dlc or not? Or maybe I will see the dlc but will not be able to earn trophies linked to the dlc?

I know that a western game would be incompatible with japanese dlc, but what about a japanese disc and japanese dlc on a western account?

Provided the game and DLC come from the same country and you have both accounts set as primaries, there's nothing stopping you from playing any game on any account :). The only region locked game is one of the Persona titles, all others are region free but DLCs are region locked 99% of the time, which is why you have to ensure both the game and extra content come from the same place.

When it comes to JP games, the only issue you will have is when you have a Z Rated title, because then you need a JP credit or debit card in order to bypass the 18+ Age Gate on their PS Store for such content. There are workarounds for this issue but they can be messy and legally dubious to say the least.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 3

You need to buy the DLC off the store on a Japanese account, but it will work on your non Japanese account, providing it isn't an R18 game, and not a Vita game.

[edit] Oh HuntingFever beat me within seconds lol.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

Provided the game and DLC come from the same country and you have both accounts set as primaries, there's nothing stopping you from playing any game on any account :). The only region locked game is one of the Persona titles, all others are region free but DLCs are region locked 99% of the time, which is why you have to ensure both the game and extra content come from the same place.

When it comes to JP games, the only issue you will have is when you have a Z Rated title, because then you need a JP credit or debit card in order to bypass the 18+ Age Gate on their PS Store for such content. There are workarounds for this issue but they can be messy and legally dubious to say the least.

Persona 4 arena and joysound dive are the only 2 region locked games.

Should be noted that while you need the JP credit card for Z rated games, it's not required for the DLC for Z rated games

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

Provided the game and DLC come from the same country and you have both accounts set as primaries, there's nothing stopping you from playing any game on any account :).

So both my usual ps3 account and the new japanese account I'm going to create must be set as primary on my ps3?

I don't know a thing about primary accounts since I've always used the same single account on all the ps consoles I had. ?

2 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

You need to buy the DLC off the store on a Japanese account, but it will work on your non Japanese account, providing it isn't an R18 game, and not a Vita game.

[edit] Oh HuntingFever beat me within seconds lol.

I think the game is rated R18 or Cero Z or whatever they use in Japan for bloody games, but I've read on another thread that the dlc isn't rated, and I have the game on disc not digital.

Thank you both so much for your helpful answers to my dilemma ?

3 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Should be noted that while you need the JP credit card for Z rated games, it's not required for the DLC for Z rated games

Yeah, that's what I've read, thanks for giving me confirmation.

• Like 1