Anyone playing above heroic level 1?

PotrikBerger

I pushed it up to heroic level 1 and have been happy that although enemies hit slightly harder and take a bit longer to finish off, that I’m getting quite a bit more rewards than when playing on normal without having to change my play style too much.

Ive recently unlocked the next level up, but wanted to find out whether people who’ve played this level felt the rewards were again noticeably higher? What I don’t want to do really is be at a level where I’m continiously having to manage heals and revives each turn....not unless the rewards are a massive jump up from heroic level 1. 

Anyone playing on a higher level at the moment, what are you finding?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, PotrikBerger said:

I pushed it up to heroic level 1 and have been happy that although enemies hit slightly harder and take a bit longer to finish off, that I’m getting quite a bit more rewards than when playing on normal without having to change my play style too much.

Ive recently unlocked the next level up, but wanted to find out whether people who’ve played this level felt the rewards were again noticeably higher? What I don’t want to do really is be at a level where I’m continiously having to manage heals and revives each turn....not unless the rewards are a massive jump up from heroic level 1. 

Anyone playing on a higher level at the moment, what are you finding?

I applaud you. Normal is difficult enough for me. What is your go to playstyle? 

4 minutes ago, Tripple_Barnett said:

I applaud you. Normal is difficult enough for me. What is your go to playstyle? 

Generally im using a buff either every turn or every other turn, with upgraded buff abilities. So for blade for example, I’d use an upgraded make em bleed card combined with cards that put bleed on enemies. Most characters have options like this in their arsenal (the hardest character I’m finding at the moment to keep alive is ghost rider so don’t tend to use him much). In combination with this I’d try to manage heroic levels with characters like nico who can make them all free or whose actions generate steady heroic points.

making strategic use of moves and combat items is also really important I’m finding. I only really use the environment when moving and don’t usually spend my points on environment unless the pay off is really big (like hitting lots of enemies) as otherwise my cards usually do a lot more tactical focused damage than the environment. Sometimes I have to revive a character, but that happens much less frequently now I’m at level 12. It also doesn’t have a massive impact on the rewards and can still get two stars even if someone does go down.

i just don’t want to push it up again and end up having to heal every turn....but saying that, if the rewards really were a massive jump, it might be worth it sometimes as this could save time in other trophies maybe? ? hoping a pioneer at this level could give some sage advice lol

• Like 1

I'm playing at the heroic level 2 most of the time and occasionally bumping it up one more if I think I can handle it. I'm not healing most rounds its actually not much of a change. But the sponginess of the enemies is annoying making it very difficult to 3 star the missions currently but I'm only level 10 and at research level 3 so there may be some bonuses that will help out 

Having said that it has really changed my playstyle from brute force to lots of buffing and shoving plus the friendship bonuses really make a difference

Ghost Rider is definitely an acquired taste. I would recommend pairing him with Magik as you can open a hole in the ground which has minimum 40% drop rate then use magik to shove everyone in and use portals to pinball people until you acquire the hell drive card thing which you then plow through everyone if youve tactically placed the enemies with the shoving skills.

On the higher difficulties I'm learning to hate Blade though and Nico is so variable that it becomes really punishing on the higher difficulties

Edited by puckelberry
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, puckelberry said:

I'm playing at the heroic level 2 most of the time and occasionally bumping it up one more if I think I can handle it. I'm not healing most rounds its actually not much of a change. But the sponginess of the enemies is annoying making it very difficult to 3 star the missions currently but I'm only level 10 and at research level 3 so there may be some bonuses that will help out 

Having said that it has really changed my playstyle from brute force to lots of buffing and shoving plus the friendship bonuses really make a difference

Ghost Rider is definitely an acquired taste. I would recommend pairing him with Magik as you can open a hole in the ground which has minimum 40% drop rate then use magik to shove everyone in and use portals to pinball people until you acquire the hell drive card thing which you then plow through everyone if youve tactically placed the enemies with the shoving skills.

On the higher difficulties I'm learning to hate Blade though and Nico is so variable that it becomes really punishing on the higher difficulties

Ok, thanks, that’s useful to know how you are finding it. 

I wouldnt say say there is anyone that I’m using all of the time but magik is definitely one of the easier ones to use. She also my highest level friend so that may be why I have a lot of good stuff with her. I’ve literally only in last few hours realised how effective the friendship bonuses can be so have been trying harder to bump then up. Given what you’ve said above maybe I will take plunge soon and bump up heroic level again. Good idea about ghost rider, I’m going to try that shortly. He just doesn’t seem to have hardly any attack cards in my game and his best one vanishes the rest of your hand!

can I ask though, are the rewards significantly better from heroic level 1 to 2?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PotrikBerger said:

I wouldnt say say there is anyone that I’m using all of the time but magik is definitely one of the easier ones to use. She also my highest level friend so that may be why I have a lot of good stuff with her. I’ve literally only in last few hours realised how effective the friendship bonuses can be so have been trying harder to bump then up. Given what you’ve said above maybe I will take plunge soon and bump up heroic level again. Good idea about ghost rider, I’m going to try that shortly. He just doesn’t seem to have hardly any attack cards in my game and his best one vanishes the rest of your hand!

can I ask though, are the rewards significantly better from heroic level 1 to 2?

I guess I have to try Magik. So far I really like Captain Marvel (my favorite), Doctor Strange, Wolverine, and Captain America. I barely understand how to use Nico. Ghost Rider seems like he has potential for me too. 

15 hours ago, PotrikBerger said:

The reward difference is pretty negligible its only gloss and a little xp boost.

The Gloss just means that everyone gets gifts :)

I will definitely say Ghost rider takes a bit of investment in upgrading the cards and the helldrive card is always my last play of the round otherwise you're screwed

• Like 1

3 hours ago, puckelberry said:

The reward difference is pretty negligible its only gloss and a little xp boost.

The Gloss just means that everyone gets gifts :)

I will definitely say Ghost rider takes a bit of investment in upgrading the cards and the helldrive card is always my last play of the round otherwise you're screwed

Thanks for coming back.

i think if it’s just gloss and minimal xp, it may not be worth making the battles potentially longer to play through. I’m not sure I actually need xp or gloss anymore for trophies, so I’ll explore that element for sure before making decisions about higher difficulty.

thanks again!

6 minutes ago, PotrikBerger said:

Thanks for coming back.

i think if it’s just gloss and minimal xp, it may not be worth making the battles potentially longer to play through. I’m not sure I actually need xp or gloss anymore for trophies, so I’ll explore that element for sure before making decisions about higher difficulty.

thanks again!

My main reason for playing on higher difficulty are the balance points.
You need to play a certain amount of dark/light cards to get a point in the respective direction at the end of the battle. With enough cards played, you can even get more than one. (in my observation it might be at least 3 cards per point awarded, but I'm not 100% sure yet)

But when I play on normal difficulty, the battle is over before I can play enough cards with Hunter.

Since I'm trying to get the dark and light trophies into one playthrough I need every point I can get.

22 minutes ago, Couga83 said:

My main reason for playing on higher difficulty are the balance points.
You need to play a certain amount of dark/light cards to get a point in the respective direction at the end of the battle. With enough cards played, you can even get more than one. (in my observation it might be at least 3 cards per point awarded, but I'm not 100% sure yet)

But when I play on normal difficulty, the battle is over before I can play enough cards with Hunter.

Since I'm trying to get the dark and light trophies into one playthrough I need every point I can get.

I see! Great bit of info....lol, ok I’m back to thinking I need to crack it up a level.

Thanks for all your insightful replies guys, much appreciated

40 minutes ago, PotrikBerger said:

I see! Great bit of info....lol, ok I’m back to thinking I need to crack it up a level.

Thanks for all your insightful replies guys, much appreciated

Also bear in mind you can change it any time you like and it doesn't affect trophies.

I'm now on Ultimate II and I gotta say I'm loving it, though Blade still sucks and the shield guys are just so tanky. But it defintely makes you use all your cards and be way more thoughtful about your loadouts and combat items. 

Also just as an add on I absolutely love this game its' like someone read my mind and created my perfect game whenever I played XCOM I always wanted to get to know my team more and have social interactions. This is GOTY for me

44 minutes ago, puckelberry said:

Also bear in mind you can change it any time you like and it doesn't affect trophies.

I'm now on Ultimate II and I gotta say I'm loving it, though Blade still sucks and the shield guys are just so tanky. But it defintely makes you use all your cards and be way more thoughtful about your loadouts and combat items. 

Also just as an add on I absolutely love this game its' like someone read my mind and created my perfect game whenever I played XCOM I always wanted to get to know my team more and have social interactions. This is GOTY for me

I echo that. Am loving this game. I feel like I’ve played a couple of stinkers lately back to back and felt like I was becoming a bit moany about games for the first time in a while. It’s between this and Elden ring for me as the two I’ve enjoyed most. I was a teenage exocolonist (honestly, if you like card mechanics and deck builders then you have to check this absolute gem of a game out, it’s excllent!) and god of war Ragnarok (mainly because of the story) are the other two I’ve enjoyed most in 2022.

ive never played Xcom...is it a deck builder game too?