Worth getting?

AJ_Radio

I saw this game a few years back on some peoples trophy lists. On the hunt for indie gems. This game is priced at $2.99 plus tax in my area so I only have to pay a little over three dollars, which is a bargain.

It's a twin stick shooter, though I don't know much anything else about Iron Crypticle. Worth getting?

Yes, paritcularly so if you like this kind of gameplay. Think Robotron mixed with Smash TV. It's the kind of game where you can become way overpowered and still easily get your ass handed to you if you aren't careful. That said, it's not an overly punishing game, double that if you're good with a pile of moving things on screen. I know you like difficult arcade games and, well, unless you're trying to do high score runs the level of difficulty you appreciate just isn't here.

I have this plat & I thought it was fucking awful due to adhering to standard western twin stick design philosophy. The fire rate was pathetic, it takes too long not to be underpowered & for the game to feel any good at all. It looks like shit, sounds like nothing, the stage & enemy wave design aren't interesting & while it plays 'ok' that's a moot point due to the aforementioned features. This is all personal preference though. OP will enjoy the game I'm sure.

As far as Twin stick shooters go, Score Rush Extended & even Riddled Corpses EX are SO much better than stuff like this. Even that Towaga Among Shadows game is better. 

3 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

On the hunt for indie gems.

Iron Crypticle ain't it. I'd recommend checking out those two I mentioned above (score rush & riddled corpses) as they are closer to Japanese 2D shooting design & infinitely more satisfying. Or for something different, have you checked out Hayfever, Dogurai, Oniken, Odallus, Demons Tilt, Seraph, Kwaidan Azuma Manor Story (this was unbelievably nostalgic), Will You Snail, Sayonara Wildhearts, Gorsd, Red Rope, Black Bird, Scourgebringer, Foregone, ExZeus: The Complete Collection, SturmFront: The Mutant War, Umiharakawase Fresh (or better yet, Sayonara Umiharakawase on Vita), Jankbrain, Dark Devotion, Driven Out, Tamashii, Kuukiyomi (this one might be difficult) or Straimium Immortaly to name a few?

I haven't done a lot of those but own them all & have tried them out, they're just waiting for the impulse to play them along with hundreds of other interesting digital games. There are so many I can't remember most of them. Most months have multiple titles that are worth checking out. I've never understood your historical revisionism with the horrible ps3 store because if you know what you're looking at the ps4 store has had 10 times the amount of good & interesting games to check out for quite some time now. If you don't believe me just check out those games. Those are just a few that came to mind, there are so many more.

53 minutes ago, Drag-On-Detritus said:

I have this plat & I thought it was fucking awful due to adhering to standard western twin stick design philosophy. The fire rate was pathetic, it takes too long not to be underpowered & for the game to feel any good at all. It looks like shit, sounds like nothing, the stage & enemy wave design aren't interesting & while it plays 'ok' that's a moot point due to the aforementioned features. This is all personal preference though. OP will enjoy the game I'm sure.

As far as Twin stick shooters go, Score Rush Extended & even Riddled Corpses EX are SO much better than stuff like this. Even that Towaga Among Shadows game is better. 

Iron Crypticle ain't it. I'd recommend checking out those two I mentioned above (score rush & riddled corpses) as they are closer to Japanese 2D shooting design & infinitely more satisfying. Or for something different, have you checked out Hayfever, Dogurai, Oniken, Odallus, Demons Tilt, Seraph, Kwaidan Azuma Manor Story (this was unbelievably nostalgic), Will You Snail, Sayonara Wildhearts, Gorsd, Red Rope, Black Bird, Scourgebringer, Foregone, ExZeus: The Complete Collection, SturmFront: The Mutant War, Umiharakawase Fresh (or better yet, Sayonara Umiharakawase on Vita), Jankbrain, Dark Devotion, Driven Out, Tamashii, Kuukiyomi (this one might be difficult) or Straimium Immortaly to name a few?

I haven't done a lot of those but own them all & have tried them out, they're just waiting for the impulse to play them along with hundreds of other interesting digital games. There are so many I can't remember most of them. Most months have multiple titles that are worth checking out. I've never understood your historical revisionism with the horrible ps3 store because if you know what you're looking at the ps4 store has had 10 times the amount of good & interesting games to check out for quite some time now. If you don't believe me just check out those games. Those are just a few that came to mind, there are so many more.

Going to have to disagree with you here. Right now I'm looking for stuff that isn't going to bang my head against the wall in frustration. Iron Crypticle is.... adequate. The four player co-op is pretty unnecessary and sometimes, niche indie games pretty much come down to taste.

And my profile has a fair amount of indies. Not as many as some people on this website, but I like to mix up indie, AA and AAA games, and play across all available Sony platforms with trophy support. I cannot do PlayStation VR, I have exceptionally bad motion sickness so that is a no go.

In regards to PS3 there is still some stuff that is stuck on there, including disc only games. Unfortunately Sony not only cut off support for a lot of stuff on PS3, they will no longer bother maintaining the store unless it absolutely needs to, after all they wanted to shut it down entirely last year in the summer. Sadly the decision Sony made back in 2006 to make PS3 a bit of a pain to code for has been haunting, especially all these years later. Xbox in contrast does not have this issue, you can freely play 360 games on the Xbox One with almost no issues, due to the architecture used.

Also, Japan always had an edge on western shmups. Just throwing that out there.