Ranked 2.0 Explained

Ranked 2.0 is out now! In the new system everyone will start unranked and after playing 1 game will be placed in copper 5. You will then start by gaining 80 points for every win and 9 points for every loss. you will begin to gain less points per win and more points per loss as you get closer to the rank the game thinks you are. For example if you were silver last season as you get closer to silver this season you will eventually only gain 40 points per win and lose 30 per loss. In this new system you will need to win 19 games in a row with maximum point gain to reach gold. But since most people will not be winning every game I assume that it will take most people 25-50 games to hit gold as long as they have around a 50/50 win loss ratio. Another thing to mention is that matchmaking is no longer based on rank it is based on skill. Your skill is a hidden value that is used to matchmake you with other players of similar skill regardless of rank. In this new system those you have struggled to hit gold may be able to brute force their way there but I imagine it will still be difficult given the amount of games you have to play and the reduction in points earned per win. 

If you would like a video explaining this Get Flanked did a pretty good job.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Dwightsarmy14 said:

Another thing to mention is that matchmaking is no longer based on rank it is based on skill. Your skill is a hidden value that is used to matchmake you with other players of similar skill regardless of rank.

That'll be why all my games have been with diamonds and champions. I was confused why 100% of the player pool is copper right now, but I'm only ever against the top 1%. That has to be the worst way to run a ranked system. Playing extra games just to achieve what the 10 placements could've done 

Edited by Riiszk
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Riiszk said:

That'll be why all my games have been with diamonds and champions. I was confused why 100% of the player pool is copper right now, but I'm only ever against the top 1%. That has to be the worst way to run a ranked system. Playing extra games just to achieve what the 10 placements could've done 

Unless you were diamond last season you should not be playing with top level players. You should be getting games with whatever rank you were last season.

4 hours ago, Riiszk said:

That has to be the worst way to run a ranked system. Playing extra games just to achieve what the 10 placements could've done 

Even in with the old system, the best rank you could hope for was Platinum, and even then, you had to win your 10 placements while being at the top of the scoreboard. 
This new system makes it slightly easier to hit Gold. I feel that the intended result was a "placebo" effect with ranking up, while actually staying at your current skill level. The few matches I´ve played recently still feel like gold / plat matches.

2 hours ago, Rinku said:

Even in with the old system, the best rank you could hope for was Platinum, and even then, you had to win your 10 placements while being at the top of the scoreboard. 
This new system makes it slightly easier to hit Gold. I feel that the intended result was a "placebo" effect with ranking up, while actually staying at your current skill level. The few matches I´ve played recently still feel like gold / plat matches.

That’s what they said. They wanted to give a feeling of progression instead of placing plat and then slowly ranking down the rest of the season

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dwightsarmy14 said:

Unless you were diamond last season you should not be playing with top level players. You should be getting games with whatever rank you were last season.

I was plat last season. I assume its because there's not enough of those players so it throws me in with them as the best secondary option. Now I just feel hardstuck in copper until they all rank up. 

8 hours ago, Rinku said:

Not if you finished at gold or plat. Go 5-5 and you'll place almost the same rank. For me as an Aussie, I'll have a much different experience to you. The player base is much smaller here so all the champs and diamonds will get put with Plats now in the same match. I'd experience the odd champ player in the old system, but so far out of the 6 or so games of ranked, more than half of each team in every match has been champ or diamond. I'll have to lose so many games to them and ruin my skill rating just to get games with ranks that aren't the top 0.5%. This system just isn't good for lower population areas.

If you were talking about new players doing placement, then that's different. I've boosted and had many accounts myself. You don't need 10-0 or 9-1 to get plat, or at least I didn't. I boosted a fresh account with 8-2 for plat 3 placement. I think it recognises your casual mmr and puts you against those rank players to begin with. So I assume the better you play in casual leading up to your first ranked season, the easier it can be? (in the old system) 

How's it easier to hit gold now? You have to play more games and you're versing your skill rating anyway. If your skill rating was gold last season, then you were most likely gold rank. It changes nothing, just makes the process of getting there so much longer. And for those whose skill rating is below gold won't have a chance in hell in getting gold now. I don't think those good enough for gold rank had the issues. It was the people who weren't good enough trying to figure out how to get there. Now it'll be so much harder because the game will know your skill rating is utter trash for silver or gold rank and you'll lose so much more points than you gain when you win. 

If I'm getting +80 for a win and -9 when I lose because the game knows I'm not copper, then you can almost assume it'll do the reverse when you're copper or bronze skill rating and being artificially given wins when boosting like how many did it. Let's say they go 5w 1L as an average W/L when being boosted. That's still -35 points. Unless they gave away their account to the booster and the skill rating adjusted to the boosters skill. That's a different story. 

Edited by Riiszk

TLDR at the bottom of the post

On 9/12/2022 at 11:09 PM, Riiszk said:

Not if you finished at gold or plat. Go 5-5 and you'll place almost the same rank. For me as an Aussie, I'll have a much different experience to you. The player base is much smaller here so all the champs and diamonds will get put with Plats now in the same match. I'd experience the odd champ player in the old system, but so far out of the 6 or so games of ranked, more than half of each team in every match has been champ or diamond. I'll have to lose so many games to them and ruin my skill rating just to get games with ranks that aren't the top 0.5%. This system just isn't good for lower population areas.

I can actually relate to your experience. While I play in NA servers, my language is registered as Spanish (Latin-American). So when matchmaking starts, it forcefully looks for players who speaks Spanish. This makes my queue times eternal, and my gameplay experience similar to yours. My lobbies are a mixed bag of people in my skill rate, lower ranks and higher ranks that have no business being in this lobbies. You are right, the smaller player pool makes it harder to balance the skill rates. However, this is just a portion of the story. You have your MMR and your skill rating, two totally separate things.

How's it easier to hit gold now? You have to play more games and you're versing your skill rating anyway. If your skill rating was gold last season, then you were most likely gold rank. It changes nothing, just makes the process of getting there so much longer. And for those whose skill rating is below gold won't have a chance in hell in getting gold now. I don't think those good enough for gold rank had the issues. It was the people who weren't good enough trying to figure out how to get there. Now it'll be so much harder because the game will know your skill rating is utter trash for silver or gold rank and you'll lose so much more points than you gain when you win. 

It´s easier because now it doesn't depend on your skill rating to rank up. With the old system, MMR was your only rating, In lower ranks, the game was always on the look for a player who did absurdly good during games, so the Rank system sends them to higher rank quicker and get more balanced games. The same was for higher ranks. When a player did bad in a higher rank continuously, they dropped quicker to lower ranks so they had to face climbing players. That's why they called it "Gold hell" or "Plat hell". This is where games became stuck and they ranked didn't moved a bit no matter how much they played. (I left a graph below to illustrate what I mean)- The devs probably picked gold as the required rank for the trophy because of this fact. This is where most players get stuck, or where they feel more comfortable.

Spoiler

Opera-Captura-de-pantalla-2022-12-12-233

Your experience may relate to the fact that you where closer to "Gold Hell", so you where facing more climbing players, looking to get diamond, or falling players, trying to get back diamond. This is why diamond an champ players where rare, because they where in they respective ranks, away from the rest. 

If I'm getting +80 for a win and -9 when I lose because the game knows I'm not copper, then you can almost assume it'll do the reverse when you're copper or bronze skill rating and being artificially given wins when boosting like how many did it. Let's say they go 5w 1L as an average W/L when being boosted. That's still -35 points. Unless they gave away their account to the booster and the skill rating adjusted to the boosters skill. That's a different story. 

With the new system, rank is just a badge and a scoring system. You win, "here is some points and a badge". You lose, "we take away some points and your badge". The skill rating, however, is a whole different beast. You can loose all your games, but the system still thinks you are a Plat. You can keep winning, and still be a silver. Why? Because this new system takes into account multiple variables. So much so that I can't even list them. I can only say that team killing, griefing, leaving or throwing will send you into a free fall of skill rating. In your case, you showed enough skill and good player behavior that the games thinks you should be in a higher skill rating than before, and probably the champs you face are good at the game but toxic AF. That's why they drop to your lobbies. This will make ranking up harder for you? Yes, because you are facing tougher opponents. Will this make it harder for newer or less skillful players? No. because they'll face similar opponents with less game sense and poor aim. 

Boosters are a different story, they'll still exist. But the person being boosted won't make it far alone, and will probably have an even worse experience than before.

TLDR: Being good at the game throughs you into tougher lobbies, especially with this system, so ranking up takes longer. Being not so good at the game throughs you right at the middle, in this case, Gold Rank

I think it recognises your casual mmr and puts you against those rank players to begin with. So I assume the better you play in casual leading up to your first ranked season, the easier it can be? (in the old system) 

No, the old system always used your placements performance to assign your rank. Casual and even unranked were always a separate thing because they didn't matched the ranked scene

Edited by Rinku
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rinku said:

TLDR: Being good at the game throughs you into tougher lobbies, especially with this system, so ranking up takes longer. Being not so good at the game throughs you right at the middle, in this case, Gold Rank

Okay, I understand everything, but this still doesn't make 100% sense to me because it sounds so backwards. 

This is what I'm understanding of what you're saying.. Being bad at the game or at least 'not great' makes it easier to hit gold, but the old plat players who were never toxic get put against the old plat, diamond and champ players no matter what rank they are now? I can forever be in copper and bronze and struggle against the top1% of players all the way to gold rank when there's someone half or less of my skill level who has a higher rank than me at gold and gets there quicker and easier because they're versing easier opponents even at gold rank. 

I'll get to gold eventually, I know that, but what you've said is being bad at the game would take less time to get to gold and that is the issue I have. Why promote being bad and help them rank easier? 

Edited by Riiszk

12 hours ago, Riiszk said:

I'll get to gold eventually, I know that, but what you've said is being bad at the game would take less time to get to gold and that is the issue I have. Why promote being bad and help them rank easier? 

Not quite. The variable here is still you. How good you are at the game. How good you are when holding the controller. It's not that the game promotes being bad to succeed, but rather it needs to keep good players away from new players so they don't pray on them. Remember Ranks in this new system are just badges, and they don't represent how skilled you are at the game. Low skilled players can aspire for a Gold Rank (Gold Badge) because they can get it before they become actually skilled at the game.

Your perception of the system being tougher it's because you've been tagged as a skilled / Plat player, so the systems want's you as away as possible of low skilled players, and facing high skilled players. You might have the copper badge because every game is as sweaty as a grand final, but remember you're playing in high Elo. Meanwhile new / low skilled players are using the silver badge, but their games are still "no aim" lobbies. 

I know this because I face the same issue. I'm still in copper too because my matches are gold / plat lobbies. This guys spawn peak, pixel peak, quick peak, you name it. But it is what it is. If you keep at it, you might hit even higher ranks because your skill rank will remain the same, you won't feel a sudden change in your lobbies. They will always be as tough as rank is. That's what comp is

Edited by Rinku
  • Like 1