How is this game in 2022?

HuntingFever

Since Anthem frequently sells for under £5 these days and is currently just over a quid in the UK store, I was thinking of picking it up but have some questions before doing so :):

1: How big is the install size?

2: Is co-op mandatory for anything or can the entire game soloed?

3: Does the Legion of Dawn Edition give you anything useful or are the DLC items purely cosmetic?

4: What notable glitches are there that I need to look out for? In particular, did they ever fix the stability problem that bricked a few PS4s just after the game came out?

5: Any general tips for a smooth playthrough?

1. 57.44 GB. Big. The save file is local somehow. I wasn’t expecting that.

2. Co-op is not “mandatory” for any trophy explicitly but you can shorten your plat time (and make it closer to the guide estimate) by piggybacking on other players’ mission plays when you reach lv30 and unlock the higher difficulty levels for a higher rare gear drop rate.

3. The DLC will most importantly net you a high grade gun that will serve well as a backup/secondary gun for the early hours. So that saves you one gun you have to wait to drop. Most of the shop items besides the synthesis/forges are cosmetic, NFT fare.

4. As a late arrival plat achiever I have no experience with data corruption or console bricking. I did experience the worrisome Matthias quest glitch (which totally should not have happened at my calculated pace of campaign progress) but still managed to complete his eventually. I also experienced a temporary glitch (it has gone unmentioned afaik) wherein all enemies stopped attacking and turrets stopped doing damage. This went on for a few awkward but free shooting minutes until the server session closed and I got booted out to reconnect back into the game. The situation likely got detected.

5. Get all the weapon kill counts done as soon as you get each new gun. Start with the freelancer, finish all the available gun kills before the Fortress of Dawn mission, then switch to the colossus and complete those weapon challenges (it has fewer and they are exclusive to the colossus). Wear all the storm gear as soon as possible (for your sake) so you can enjoy the rest as the interceptor! There are copious collectibles but a keen eye and a flair for exploration (and a tolerance for a vague infuriating compass) will go a long way. Some spawn reloading, some checklist checking. You are more or less obliged to chase every❓you get on your compass as nothing but your own eyes will confirm the item’s significance. There are map guides but keep the high elevation factor in mind. As mentioned in the guide, the equipment each javelin starts with doesn’t get added to your inventory when you replace it, so use them sufficiently towards your goals first (50 kills with the gun, 4 mission clears with the gear).

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, EqualityEarth said:

1. 57.44 GB. Big. The save file is local somehow. I wasn’t expecting that.

2. Co-op is not “mandatory” for any trophy explicitly but you can shorten your plat time (and make it closer to the guide estimate) by piggybacking on other players’ mission plays when you reach lv30 and unlock the higher difficulty levels for a higher rare gear drop rate.

3. The DLC will most importantly net you a high grade gun that will serve well as a backup/secondary gun for the early hours. So that saves you one gun you have to wait to drop. Most of the shop items besides the synthesis/forges are cosmetic, NFT fare.

4. As a late arrival plat achiever I have no experience with data corruption or console bricking. I did experience the worrisome Matthias quest glitch (which totally should not have happened at my calculated pace of campaign progress) but still managed to complete his eventually. I also experienced a temporary glitch (it has gone unmentioned afaik) wherein all enemies stopped attacking and turrets stopped doing damage. This went on for a few awkward but free shooting minutes until the server session closed and I got booted out to reconnect back into the game. The situation likely got detected.

5. Get all the weapon kill counts done as soon as you get each new gun. Start with the freelancer, finish all the available gun kills before the Fortress of Dawn mission, then switch to the colossus and complete those weapon challenges (it has fewer and they are exclusive to the colossus). Wear all the storm gear as soon as possible (for your sake) so you can enjoy the rest as the interceptor! There are copious collectibles but a keen eye and a flair for exploration (and a tolerance for a vague infuriating compass) will go a long way. Some spawn reloading, some checklist checking. You are more or less obliged to chase every2753.pngyou get on your compass as nothing but your own eyes will confirm the item’s significance. There are map guides but keep the high elevation factor in mind. As mentioned in the guide, the equipment each javelin starts with doesn’t get added to your inventory when you replace it, so use them sufficiently towards your goals first (50 kills with the gun, 4 mission clears with the gear).

Thank you for the pointers :). Glitches aside, is this game fun and worth playing? Also, does it hold up to long play sessions or is it something you're better off doing in short bursts between other games?

I was admittedly partial to the flying element. It’s a third person shooter with imo a generous regenerating shield and health hybrid keeping your character alive. It’s fun if you like collecting, min-maxing a power suit, and more than just bullets to count (you have unlimited turret, grenade, and melee swing on cooldowns). You are aggressively railroaded during missions especially campaign missions but outside of that, free play doesn’t seem to have loading screens for the entire outdoor space iirc. I can’t explain why fort tarsis puts you in first person perspective, or expound on what people were expecting before and after launch, but what’s there is fine. I would compare it to shadow of Mordor in terms of scale, for what little I meandered in that space during the then unobtainable scare at the time.

To answer long vs short term play, I think you could go either way. Different elements refresh here and there. You may get weary of knocking down collection lists toward the end but some free play in between campaign missions is worth it to ultimately minimize that. I may have set out a month but I definitely did not manage to play every day and I still obtained the platinum in about 3 weeks real time.

It’s hard to say it all in a serious tone though, as in the near future none of these bullet points will matter. Whether you had it disc or digital, this game isn’t something getting passed down a generation even if it had blown gamers and critics away (insert ticking time bomb and the impending fully unobtainable trophy list report). That point I hope isn’t lost on anyone no matter the cost of being captain obvious. The game listing and the guide say so and quite explicitly but I’ll say it again, it may be playable solo but it is 100% online.

Edited by EqualityEarth
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, EqualityEarth said:

I was admittedly partial to the flying element. It’s a third person shooter with imo a generous regenerating shield and health hybrid keeping your character alive. It’s fun if you like collecting, min-maxing a power suit, and more than just bullets to count (you have unlimited turret, grenade, and melee swing on cooldowns). You are aggressively railroaded during missions especially campaign missions but outside of that, free play doesn’t seem to have loading screens for the entire outdoor space iirc. I can’t explain why fort tarsis puts you in first person perspective, or expound on what people were expecting before and after launch, but what’s there is fine. I would compare it to shadow of Mordor in terms of scale, for what little I meandered in that space during the then unobtainable scare at the time.

To answer long vs short term play, I think you could go either way. Different elements refresh here and there. You may get weary of knocking down collection lists toward the end but some free play in between campaign missions is worth it to ultimately minimize that. I may have set out a month but I definitely did not manage to play every day and I still obtained the platinum in about 3 weeks real time.

It’s hard to say it all in a serious tone though, as in the near future none of these bullet points will matter. Whether you had it disc or digital, this game isn’t something getting passed down a generation even if it had blown gamers and critics away (insert ticking time bomb and the impending fully unobtainable trophy list report). That point I hope isn’t lost on anyone no matter the cost of being captain obvious. The game listing and the guide say so and quite explicitly but I’ll say it again, it may be playable solo but it is 100% online.

Thank you for the info :).

• Like 1

Its honestly good. Its hard to explain the type game. Its like destiny mixed with gears of war but you can also fly like iron man. Tons of dif weapons. Great graphics. Cool upgrade system. 4 classes you could go with. The more you play it the more youll like it. Co-op is fun too but not required. I honestly think youll like it. Took me a bit to fifure it out but its really decent especially for the god awful low price its always on sale for. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, XThordoomX said:

I like the game in small bursts. The only real problem i'm facing  which prohibits me from fully enjoying it is the constant disconnections from EA servers. I don't know how to fix this issue but apparently it is a common thing.

Yeah, that has been an issue since the Beta but they never fully fixed the problem :(. All you can do is wait until the connection comes back.