Synth riders or wait for beat saber?

Jaded_Leviathan

It is enjoyable and it's easier than beat saber, in my opinion. However, because it is easier you can complete it much faster, and all that's left is trying to reach the highscores, or simply playing it more because you liked it. I think that Pistol Whip is a better choice mainly because there is much more content in Pistol Whip. It is a shooting rhythm game (even though it feels more like a shooter than a rhythm activity at the beginning). I think that Synth Riders and Pistol Whip are in a tie in terms of fun factor, but when we consider how long it would take to play everything they offer and to conquer their hardest difficulty, it's clear that Pistol Whip has a lot more to offer. However, music-wise Synth Riders has better music than Pistol Whip. Pistol Whip has more techno and dark techno (which fits well with its stages) and Synth Riders has more synthwave music.

I would recommend playing both eventually, but Pistol Whip is the one with more content, so if how long the game lasts matters I would pick up Pistol Whip first. Just for reference, it took me 1 month to get all the trophies in Pistol Whip, but it took me just 1 day to get all the trophies in Synth Riders. Pistol Whip is obviously the harder game. Both are fun though, so in terms of "how it makes you feel" I really don't think that any new VR player will be disappointed with SR or PW. Just get the one you think you will like more.

EDIT: I think it's good to get Pistol Whip or Synth Riders at the beginning of psvr2, especially if beat saber is not available. In case you are wondering, I do think that beat saber is better than both of them, but I enjoyed all 3. Synth Riders is the one with the better music, but it is the shortest (for completion). Beat Saber has the largest amount of content and it is the best one to use as a cardio activity in its expert modes (far better than synth riders and pistol whip as an exercising activity!!). You feel like a total "shooting badass" with Pistol Whip though, so, I think that shouldn't be missed, even if beat saber takes the crown.

Edited by ValkerianCreator
  • Like 4

On 2/13/2023 at 8:39 AM, heavyrockerfin said:

Which one would be preferable in terms of warm-up and /or exercise: Beat Saber or SynthRiders? Btw is there a physical release for the Pistol Whip?

I think I mentioned it (vaguely) before, but, hey, I like to babble on about stuff I love. 

So from my experience with Beat Saber and Pistol Whip on Quest (I never got to Synth Riders, but I may change that with the PSVR2) is that you can absolutely put together a pretty good exercise routine. In Beat Saber, I had put together a play list of songs to play and made sure that the more intense tracks were more in the middle and the more "chill" would be in the beginning and the end. So you end up with a kind of "class" where you have warm up songs (like the first few tracks of the base game) and then it gets more intense, but then slows more down near the end for cool off. The play list is important because it removes the pause time when you stand there trying to figure out what to play next and helps keep the heart rate up. But, most (not all, but most) of the songs in Beat Saber tend to be (for real obvious reasons) you using your upper body quite a bit. Still great for cardio, but here is where I put Pistol Whip to play. Basically I found that when I play Pistol Whip, I still end up with an increased heart rate, but I also tend to use my legs a ton more (due to all the bullet dodging), but my arms a lot less (which makes sense as you are not really waving your arms around as much). So, those two games create a nice little balanced "work out". Oh, and also, if you have something like an Apple Watch, you can really keep an eye on how well it is working for you. 

I guess when it all comes down to it, as far as video game exercise goes, it is a lot like real exercise in that as long as you really put the effort in (as in, don't worry about what you look like when you are doing it and we all know being in VR can be goofy), you should see some results. What results? well, results may vary(obviously). Will you get swole? No, not really. You may not even thin up if this exercise is the only change, but at the very least, it can help improve cardio vascular health (repeated events of elevated heart rate within the target range for your age/weight for 30-45 minutes or so, etc...). 

After all that (see? I babble) I say that even if there are better ways to exercise out there (and there probably is), these two games (and from the sound of it, these three games) are all super fun and can't really be missed. Plus, when people visit and want to try VR, these are absolutely ones I found most people enjoy and really "get". Well, these and Job Simulator. :) 

• Like 1

Oh man, speaking of trophies, I will absolutely be double dipping these games. Beat Saber and Pistol Whip I played on my Quest 1, so now I get to play them all over for multiple reasons (that they are essential and I need the trophies :) ). I can’t remember if I finished Job Simulator on PSVR (need to look) but I will likely make sure to grab that again (even though I also have it on Quest) when it is available.