Is this game complete or are they going to be adding more stuff to it?

Sendai-Horatio

As far as I know, they are planning some updates to come, but I'm unsure when exactly. Be careful with this game, tho. Unfortunately, this is the only one that I regret buying. I wanted this photorealistic chill experience, but after 30 minutes in, I think I've seen everything in this game. Except some races, that I don't really want to play, it really doesn't have much to offer after the initial wow effect. Might just be me, tho.

• Like 3

Just now, W0ndrful101 said:

As far as I know, they are planning some updates to come, but I'm unsure when exactly. Be careful with this game, tho. Unfortunately, this is the only one that I regret buying. I wanted this photorealistic chill experience, but after 30 minutes in, I think I've seen everything in this game. Except some races, that I don't really want to play, it really doesn't have much to offer after the initial wow effect. Might just be me, tho.

Ah so I'll wait and see then. The timed races had me the most concerned due to their possible hard difficulty and one solution to make them easier was to slide your two VR controllers onto a pole to paddle. I was more or less looking for a kayak game where you go around the water exploring.

If you are looking for action this is going to turn you off (note: get the Star Wars game and Pistol Whip instead).

If you are looking for a game about kayaking on the water at various beautiful locations WITH NOTHING ELSE TO DO, this is it then.

My first impression, a few days ago, was that this can be better than Tripp and Catch & Release (in psvr1) because it combines the great looking "meditation locations" with realistic rowing on a kayak (a cardio activity). The exploring is limited too. There are specific fish that you can search for to get a trophy and some semi-annoying tasks and races to get other trophies, but the central part of this is literally going through different locations on your kayak with nothing else to do there, other than rowing and relaxing with the realistic-looking scenery. The locations are indeed beautiful and more realistic-looking than most psvr1 games. Also, the rowing simulates real rowing, so you will be tired after half an hour of it, if you are not taking it easy. However, that's all it has, and I think there are only 6 locations total (some have night and day, or rainy weather, but it is the same place). My opinion is that if you want a game to relax only (and you want the vr rowing activity) this is worth the $20. However, if you didn't come into Kayak VR looking for that in particular, you'll probably get bored of it pretty fast.

It is a great one to show to other people though. The realistic graphics are awesome for vr first-timers. The option to have "tours" where you just sit there and look around seems great for non-gamers too. Essentially, it's a great show piece that works for rowing and relaxing purposes, but that's all it is. You will definitely need another VR2 game to experience the real action. This one is best for "meditation Saturdays" and "rowing Sundays" ?

Also, it's worth mentioning that the only other VR game where I saw graphics that were at this level was in Half-life Alyx. I haven't played Horizon VR yet however ?. I'm sure Horizon will deliver in the "realistic looking" department too, with 100 times more action than Kayak. If not, that's what Pistol Whip is for ? lol.

The more content this game has the better. As mentioned by others, what they have at the moment is a little light on, but no complaints from me given the cheap price point. I’m hoping they add some white water rapids from around the world. That would be incredible to experience in VR. 

On 2/27/2023 at 5:27 AM, W0ndrful101 said:

I feel the same way. It's not really for me. 

• Like 1

I have been kayaking for years and love it, so this game was one of the big reasons I bought a PSVR2. I can understand why others wouldn't like it though, I personally have had to take breaks after about 30 minutes which doesn't happen in the other 2 games I purchased. Kayaking is also repetitive since you always move paddles through the water and essentially nothing else. 

I would say only buy this game if you already enjoy kayaking, boating, canoeing, or something similar.