Can Kaitlyn still get infected?

dieselmanchild

SPOILERS AHEAD

So I’m doing my final run of the game for the ‘Blood Pact’ trophy (infect all characters) while simultaneously trying to collect all the clues for ‘Meddling Kids’. However, I’ve run into a small issue that is not mentioned in any of the guides.

In Chapter 5, there’s a specific event that needs to occur where Kaitlyn fails a couple QTEs and ends up shooting the Hunter (Bobby) in order for him to drop a clue that can later be collected in Chapter 9.

The only problem is that in this sequence, Kaitlyn will automatically get blood thrown on her by Bobby. The blood is supposed to protect from the werewolves, so it suddenly occurred to me that this might make it impossible to infect Kaitlyn at the scrapyard in Chapter 9.

Can anybody clarify this for me?

Can Kaitlyn still be infected in Chapter 9 despite having been blooded by Bobby way back in Chapter 5?

I’ve mainly been using PowerPyx & PSNP’s guides here as a roadmap, and both guides recommend combining Blood Pact & all clues in the same playthrough, yet neither guide mentions this potentially major contradiction here that would require a whole other playthrough. I didn’t see any mention of it in the comments either.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
Less spoilers in the title please

You can combine the trophies. I’m not sure why it doesn’t have an effect - maybe gets washed off? I seem to remember it just randomly disappears without explanation, lol. I’ll definitely add a few notes to the guide later though as I’m in the process of making it more efficient (have added a complete walkthrough of important decisions to the tips section - just double-checking everything but it should be good).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Charizarzar said:

You can combine the trophies. I’m not sure why it doesn’t have an effect - maybe gets washed off? I seem to remember it just randomly disappears without explanation, lol. I’ll definitely add a few notes to the guide later though as I’m in the process of making it more efficient (have added a complete walkthrough of important decisions to the tips section - just double-checking everything but it should be good).

Thank you very much for confirming this!

I’m not really sure how the blood effect even works tbh, but it’s a little confusing, especially since all the guides mention that when playing as Jacob in Ch. 3 you need to throw dirt at Bobby in order to avoid being blooded, or this interferes with him being infected down the line. I assumed that blooding Kaitlyn would interfere with her ability to get infected too. ?‍♂️ 

I am just going to continue onwards as per the guide. I’ll update this later to confirm everything went smoothly. If it doesn’t, I’ll send you a PM so you can post a warning in the guide.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

Thank you very much for confirming this!

I’m not really sure how the blood effect even works tbh, but it’s a little confusing, especially since all the guides mention that when playing as Jacob in Ch. 3 you need to throw dirt at Bobby in order to avoid being blooded, or this interferes with him being infected down the line. I assumed that blooding Kaitlyn would interfere with her ability to get infected too. ?‍♂️ 

I am just going to continue onwards as per the guide. I’ll update this later to confirm everything went smoothly. If it doesn’t, I’ll send you a PM so you can post a warning in the guide.

No worries, and good luck! It does seem inconsistent, much like the infection itself (like Ryan still being killable not very long after infection but Jacob being able to survive a faceful of bear trap). If Jacob doesn't get blood on his face, this puts you at risk of infection if you choose to hide during the chase in Chapter 6.

6 minutes ago, Charizarzar said:

No worries, and good luck! It does seem inconsistent, much like the infection itself (like Ryan still being killable not very long after infection but Jacob being able to survive a faceful of bear trap). If Jacob doesn't get blood on his face, this puts you at risk of infection if you choose to hide during the chase in Chapter 6.

Ok so I just played through the sequence again and realized one of the required “failed” QTEs to get the collectible is actually the blood vial being chucked at you, which means you can dodge it and still trigger the event where you shoot Bobby to make him drop the collectible.

It seems that in order to trigger the shooting you don’t have to fail both QTEs as per the guides, you just need to fail the one at the top of the stairs. Kaitlyn trips on the post while Bobby is coming out of the door, which gets his attention so he finds you hiding on the stairs.

Succeed QTE > Fail QTE (Kaitlyn trips at the top of the stairs) > Succeed QTE (dodges blood) > Shoot Bobby so he drops collectible

Edited by dieselmanchild
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dieselmanchild said:

Ok so I just played through the sequence again and realized one of the required “failed” QTEs to get the collectible is actually the blood vial being chucked at you, which means you can dodge it and still trigger the event where you shoot Bobby to make him drop the collectible.

It seems that in order to trigger the shooting you don’t have to fail both QTEs as per the guides, you just need to fail the one at the top of the stairs. Kaitlyn trips on the post while Bobby is coming out of the door, which gets his attention so he finds you hiding on the stairs.

Succeed QTE > Fail QTE (Kaitlyn trips at the top of the stairs) > Succeed QTE (dodges blood) > Shoot Bobby so he drops collectible

Good point, I'll make amendments to make things clearer. :) Both QTE failures were likely included because sometimes it's easier to just say to fail twice than to get people to remember various QTEs. Powerypyx's walkthrough especially has some instructions that don't need to be followed, but are probably there to give people peace of mind. It will be good though to have people feel secure that they can avoid getting Kaitlyn splashed and still get Bobby to drop it, so thanks for that!

Edited by Charizarzar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Charizarzar said:

Good point, I'll make amendments to make things clearer. :) Both QTE failures were likely included because sometimes it's easier to just say to fail twice than to get people to remember various QTEs. Powerypyx's walkthrough especially has some instructions that don't need to be followed, but are probably there to give people peace of mind. It will be good though to have people feel secure that they can avoid getting Kaitlyn splashed and still get Bobby to drop it, so thanks for that!

Yes absolutely, I agree. Tbh it seems like the majority of decisions and QTEs in the game don’t even have any major consequences at all so you can really deviate from the guides quite a bit. The problem is, the ones that do have consequences can screw you over in a split second if you make the wrong choice.

I hadn’t even seen that Kaitlyn/Bobby scene since my first playthrough and had completely forgotten the blood vial is a QTE event. I thought it automatically happened when you got caught, and wanted to confirm before I moved on and shot myself in the foot. 

Thanks for the help, and thanks so much for the work you put into the guide! It has been very helpful. ?

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I was having the same problem of not knowing if I could get Bobby to hold up the table if you avoided getting bloodied up as Kaitlyn and came across this, thank you for clarifying I can still get her infected. It's helped out a bunch! ☺️

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lucibur said:

I was having the same problem of not knowing if I could get Bobby to hold up the table if you avoided getting bloodied up as Kaitlyn and came across this, thank you for clarifying I can still get her infected. It's helped out a bunch! ☺️

No problem, glad it helped clarify things. Hope you enjoyed the game! 🙂

• Like 1

• 1 month later...